Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 29-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Master

Totem animal

When I go and see my healer, she offers me a totem animal, something she sees through the healing. I have had a bat, a horse, a panther, a peacock. Problem is, I don't know what they mean - or what a totem animal is.

Any ideas?
Old 29-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Quintessence

Technically, only certain indigenous tribes of the pacific northwest have totem animals. New Agers have misappropriated the term and slapped it on "spiritual" relationships they have with nonhuman animals. Genuine totem animals are tribal, not personal or individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totemism
Primitive system of religious and social organization. Totemism is exemplified in various North American and Australian tribes characterized as clans or bands united by kinship. The clan is distinguished by the name of an animal, plant, or, more rarely, natural phenomenon. The object is usually the subject of religious emotion. Within this system, those within the clan group are given protection but cannot marry or have sexual intercourse within the clan. Émile Durkheim argued that the totemic principle—defined as belief in a mystical relationship between a group and an animal, plant, or other object, which served as their emblem—was the basis for the distinction between the sacred and the profane.
*source*

The New Ager idea of it has a pretty superficial resemblance to the indigenous idea. Be aware of that, at least, because there are people who are going to call ** on you for this kind of cultural misappropriation. It's often better to just say you have a "spiritual connection" with certain critters or an "animal guide" and leave it at that. Alternatively, a more appropriate modernization of the idea of totems would be to take your state birds and such, because at least that is tribal (in a sense).

As for what various nonhuman animals "mean" that is... remember that symbolism isn't universal. I would also hesitate to treat or nonhuman brethren as mere objects of symbolic value. It's disrespectful. If you have a specific tradition you follow, study their lore and use that as a basis for your own understanding. Otherwise? Take the time to develop a direct, personal relationship with the creature and let it speak to you on its own terms. Be a naturalist. But for the love of the gods, don't just pick up some New Age book, flip to a page, and glean the entire meaning and purpose of that creature based on that author's say so. Apologies, but I confess that while misappropriation of totemism doesn't bother me overmuch, this kind of thing does. >_>
Old 29-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Master
Google "totem panther" or "totem peacock" to find what they represent.
Ted Andrews has an excellent book called "Animal Speak" that you might like to.
Old 29-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Master

Thank you both. Quintessence, apologies I have no connection personally with the concept but I do rate my healer and wouldn't have thought she was a "new ager". I certainly wouldn't describe myself as such. I'm more than a little surprised by the misconnect / misappropriation and I'm sure it will have been borne out of an ignorance. I'm interested in reading and learning more - WhiteShaman thanks for the suggestions.
Old 30-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Quintessence

Like I said, some people get fussy about cultural misappropriation, but those who would fall into the New Age demographic (which your healer likely falls into since I presume they practice alternative medicine) tend to borrow at will and not be bothered by it. What one person calls misappropriation another calls syncretism. Pick your path and stick to what's useful to you; someone will naysay it no matter what path you pick. I just thought I'd warn ya, because topics related to indigenous Native American practices can be particularly touchy with the whole plastic shaman phenomena. I've seen enough of those arguments that I often avoid using certain terms and haven't touched Native mythos in spite of being a Neopagan who focuses strongly on my surrounding landscape. >_>
Old 30-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Master

Thanks Quintessence - yes it's useful for me at the now and I'm developing a sense of what she means but whether it works in 6 months - a year? Who knows. I appreciate your insights and clarity.
Old 30-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Master
Hi .

I get animal totems from time to time and in meditation this evening a Panda came to the fore ..

Panda . willpower . Able to connect the seen and unseen . Willingness to learn . Maybe inclined to a delicate stomach . Inner sight . Clarity of vision .

All of the above is relevant (lol) .

x dazzle x