Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 13-09-2015, 06:18 AM
Knower
The Watcher

Sometimes I realize how easy it is. Which "I" is talking? The one that's present, or in the now. No more identity to be concerned about

There is no more fooling the self. Merging into the presence and stop being deceived by the ego.

Once you know the traps of the ego, though...you can just observe it and ignore it.

I just started reading "power of now" by eckhart tolle...

Incredible read
Old 13-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Lorelyen

How do you personally ignore "the ego"?

We seem trapped in Freud's topology of the mind.

How are you aware that you have ignored the ego without the 'I' awareness?
I see the ego more as a social process. The I will always be present when you have to distinguish yourself from anything or anyone around you.

You see, it's words. Is unity with the cosmos any less ego than the awareness of the person walking down a street?

So, if you could elaborate a little more about your perspective, not Tolle's
I'd be most interested to learn.

Thanks.
Old 13-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Guide
Consciousness is a natural progression of biology, with an origin and a destination. It all started when single celled organisms developed photosensitivity through the death of trillions of organisms from exposure to UV, from this they experienced that one state was better/superior to another. Through this process discernment was born (The eye). All the good and bad and everything there is to human nature comes from this basic thing.

There is no "getting past" anything. I don't know why people think there is.
Old 13-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Ascender

You must question the credibility of the thoughts ego expresses. All of them. The ego is a three year old. It makes no sense when it's logic hits the air of reality. Speak a thought out loud, you will see quickly the inauthentic parts that wriggle and loose their grip on you. Then you see clearly "I am not my thoughts, I am the one watching thought and deciding which to believe." Now with that seeing, you can better and impartially question yourself without taking it personal.

Edit: anything that speaks within you, ultimately is the "I" self, it only becomes useful when it begins imagining the story of your enlightenment. Just before its death.. or better said, just before it evaporates like a ghost you discover was never truly with form or feeling. difficult to find because it is the fractured parts that speak.

You completely miss the real you.. How is this? The real you is the one within you that remains silent and without opinions. It needs nothing, only to watch these louder parts and attempt to purge them.
Old 13-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by QT Pie
You must question the credibility of the thoughts ego expresses. All of them. The ego is a three year old. It makes no sense when it's logic hits the air of reality. Speak a thought out loud, you will see quickly the inauthentic parts that wriggle and loose their grip on you. Then you see clearly "I am not my thoughts, I am the one watching thought and deciding which to believe." Now with that seeing, you can better and impartially question yourself without taking it personal.

Edit: anything that speaks within you, ultimately is the "I" self, it only becomes useful when it begins imagining the story of your enlightenment. Just before its death.. or better said, just before it evaporates like a ghost you discover was never truly with form or feeling. difficult to find because it is the fractured parts that speak.

You completely miss the real you.. How is this? The real you is the one within you that remains silent and without opinions. It needs nothing, only to watch these louder parts and attempt to purge them.
ugh.. good luck with that.
Old 13-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riboflavin
ugh.. good luck with that.

It's only difficult and tedious at first. You hit an accumulative point where everything begins unravelling on its own. All you can do is watch in horror.
Old 13-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Guide
Quote:
It's only difficult and tedious at first. You hit an accumulative point where everything begins unravelling on its own. All you can do is watch in horror.
Usually when that happens people just make a new stronger bubble and call it something else. I see a lot of people like that, some on this forum.. people that are so galvanically isolated from reality by thought that they don't.. really experience anything anymore.. and it's sad.
Old 13-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:

The bit I emboldened..... So, you're saying that thoughts (presumably verbal ones if they can be spoken) weren't generated by you, within you?

Quote:
Yes. I recognise that as the Self at which level words are redundant though they might crop up in a metaphysical context - i.e. aren't intellectualising. Like, in the mysteries of a hallucinogenic experience a word voiced inwardly might make cause an entirely different sensation that it had in normal wakeful consciousness.

Old 14-09-2015, 02:20 AM
Knower
Conditioned mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riboflavin
Usually when that happens people just make a new stronger bubble and call it something else. I see a lot of people like that, some on this forum.. people that are so galvanically isolated from reality by thought that they don't.. really experience anything anymore.. and it's sad.

Maybe you haven't experienced it yet. But REAL enlightenment requires you to get past the conditioned mind. Yeah, there may still remain an "ego" but it will be the most authentic version of yourself. Becoming presence itself. Experiencing the now.

You have to witness your thought patterns and compulsive thoughts. Realize that there are two "yous". One that has been conditioned to think in a certain way, and the other is presence itself. When you are one with the presence, you will no longer deceive yourself. You are a light to yourself. The truth is in your heart.

So I can tell you flat out that this is not ****. In fact, it's the only way to pure enlightenment. How could there be any suffering when you are finally whole with yourself? Instead of constantly battling with yourself.

But, to become one with presence, you must go beyond mind
Old 14-09-2015, 05:41 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
The bit I emboldened..... So, you're saying that thoughts (presumably verbal ones if they can be spoken) weren't generated by you, within you?

That is correct. If I was the thing generating thought myself alone then how is it I cannot control the dialog? I am not referring to logical thought. Logical thought is more of a pretending that occurs or, practical by nature. The spirit gets wrapped up in the story, and of course there is a host of practical knowledge that is neither egoism nor ultimate truth. It's practical knowledge but it doesn't lead to a deeper knowing of the self directly.

When ego leaves - the mind is silent. Mine is not yet but it will be, it gets weaker all the time. I have had an awakening and kundalini activation. But enlightenment remains elusive.

As someone previously posted the danger of convincing yourself you have lost all ego is profound. It is a horrible snare. Personally, I will not hold that until 1. I believe it might be the case (which I do not) . 2. It is confirmed through direct interaction with a holy man who knows what he is looking at. Unless it comes so profoundly I forget the word "enlightenment" in favor of the new inner climate.. (provided it's an abiding sense, and not wishy washy) that could happen.

My spiritual journey , for me, is about uncompromising truth and actionable results. Visions and cool experiences are awesome but if at the end of the day I don't see myself happier, moving through challenges effortlessly and a sense of being comfortable and happy in my world then what is the point? It should change your life in a thousand ways.. it's not all roses by any stretch of the imagination but the development always finds a new high.

Not just your mind.