Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-01-2020, 07:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
Hello John. In fact, I only ever said "centuries" and that certainly also means millenia. Why is it so important to you that you take an oppositional position? I do understand the time frame and we're all allowed to phrase things as we like.

John, I am not the speech police and my position is that folks can say what they like and take ownership for it. You can certainly say whatever you like and it's fine by me. Just take ownership for it.
So why would I have any issue with your right to phrase things as you like OR with whatever name you use for "God" or Oneness?

As I said, I am only relaying the Jewish tradition and presenting the facts, which is that YHVH is not pronounced and has not been for a long, long time (centuries, millenia, etc).
Normally RabbiO would come in here and make the post but he's not always on so I just put it out there.

Why does it matter to you that Jews don't pronounce YHVH? Instead, we typically read it aloud as "Adonai". It's just a longstanding tradition, not a "right v. wrong".
Adonai thus becomes more personal through longstanding use and YHVH (I am that I am) is more ephemeral and mystical, being unpronounced.
Who knows? Maybe one day we will reintroduce pronunciation of YHVH but it's not in use at this time.

TBH ritual observance is my least favourite aspect of religious tradition and I am not observant. But many aspects of tradition are meaningful and woven into the culture, so I try to be considerate of these longstanding traditions.

You do as you like. Christians have various ways of pronouncing it and you can pick whichever you prefer.

Peace & blessings
7L
Till I read your post, I did not know you are a Reconstructionists in the Jewish faith.

My post were leaning toward the original poster's question dealing with Yahweh.

As you can see from my posts, Yahweh is the most used name in the Hebrew Bible but ironically is probably the least recognized name.

I also spoke about the Jewish diasporas. In the previous post, I asked the question, if we had to go thru such diasporas the Jews went thru, how would we react in that of the usage of the name of Yahweh? Some claim during those time periods, is when the name of Yahweh stopped being spoken and in some cases even written, but it does not mean what was done was right. There was actually no scriptural reason to stop using the name of the LORD which is Yahweh nor is there any scriptural reason to say Adonai when reading the word.

You mentioned the TBH which really does not have much 'bite' in the matter. The TBH is only the policy for one Temple, Temple Beth Hatfiloh located in Olympia, Washington, USA. But the TBH policies claim "Ritual decision making at TBH is based in Jewish values. We use tradition and halacha (Jewish law) as starting points, but we are not necessarily bound by them." Under Jewish law, the name Yahweh is suppose to be used. The TBH has no scriptural grounds not to use the name Yahweh.

As for Adonai (אֲדֹנָ֤י), that is first used in Genesis 15:2. The expression is אֲדֹנָ֤י יֱהוִה֙ which gets transliterated as Adonai Yahweh which gets translated in the NIV as 'Sovereign Lord'. Replacing Yahweh with Adonai would render that scripture as 'Sovereign Sovereign' which makes no sense. Using the TBH's policy, under Jewish Law, there is no scriptural grounds to do that.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜