Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 18-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Master
ROBOTS, And A Possible Situation of Future Sentience

Would, (given the time), high tech quantum computing... faster than light, or laser connection chips develop into, "Cyborgs"?
"Droids", and a, "Terminator" scenerio?

Eventually, these computerized creations becoming sentient? Self aware?

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2725845/Meals-wheels-Robots-deliver-food-cook-diners-Chinese-restaurant-make-small-talk.html

Re: An Eatery featuring Droid or Robot cooks, who also wait on the customers.

A cheap Hotel, due to the fact that the staff are not paid. As they are Robots.

While things may still be a bit cumbersome, at least as far as what the public is aware of... nevertheless, there will be future technological innovations. Today, all the various components are available. Including replicating human flesh.
"Meet, 'Child with Biometric Body,' or CB2.
It's supposedly as intelligent as a toddler — it can stand up, walk on its own, and respond to touch and voice."

www.businessinsider.com/weird-japanese-robots-2014-3?op=1

Does your community or dwelling complex not allow pets? Perhaps then a, "Droid", will resolve your problem. ?

So, again, if evolutionary technology were to proceed? Will the world find itself in a situation of resulting products such as "Cyberdyne Industries" produced, in the movie? As well as other flicks such as "I Robot", and such?

BTW, also, concerning what was featured in the movie series... "Skynet":

www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-20781625

An article, recently in the News, is how satellite technology has advanced to where a pic of a "Subway Sandwich" can be photographed, anywhere on the planet. Referring to an object 1 foot in width, or length.

From the movie. - A Cyborg "T-1000".
Sentient? Aware?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are not people. They are moving, talking, early phase, "Cyborgs".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTfzYDZG8c

A Robot walking...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHSxKf7oOxA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'And, you arrrre..?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlHrvQ7D5OU

"Please have a seat. He has been notified and will see you momentarily."

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein

Last edited by Morpheus : 18-08-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 20-08-2014, 10:14 PM
joelr

Once we get nano tech going and build computers that can control little tiny worker bee computers and can design new things as it needs them, it can just grow and invent new tech.
Once it can problem solve and build new computers and keep getting smarter, it might be limitless.

Like the computer people in A.I. the Speilburg movie, who conquered space-time.
Old 21-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Master
Science Fiction can be seen as a sort of loop situation with actual reality. It percieves a certain logic of what may be in the future, and we see how reality does follow suit.

In the currrently running Sci-Fi series on T.V., "Extant" starring actress Halle Berry, they have a child who is a cyborg, who in the episode last night, shows that he is becoming self aware.
Thinking, and questioning his existance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At LiveScience.com

IBM Computer Chip.
"The team used its "TrueNorth" chip, described today (Aug. 7) in the journal Science, to perform a task that is very challenging for conventional computers: identifying people or objects in an image.

[Super-Intelligent Machines: 7 Robotic Futures]"

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 23-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Master
Scientist:
" 'Machines are going to be aware of the environments around them and, to a small extent, they're going to be aware of themselves,' she said. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2731768/Robots-need-learn-value-human-life-dont-kill-Future-droids-murder-kindness-engineer-claims.html

Old 28-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Master
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2735523/Meet-BabyX-virtual-INFANT-learns-like-human-unlock-secrets-brains-work.html

"The virtual infant learns and acts just like a real baby, and it could be an important step to creating artificially intelligent brains."

Old 30-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Master
Given the uninterrupted progress of things, how long, one might ask, before a "Cyberdyne", and "Skynet" situation is attained, as depicted in the Sci-Fi movie?

"The idea is to make platforms "feel" using a skin of sensors in the same way humans or animals do."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2731966/Aircraft-human-like-skin-enable-feel-damage-monitor-health-flying.html

Old 30-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Ummon

Maybe robots will be more enlightened than we are
Old 30-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Badger1777

This happens to be something I know a thing or two about, seeing as I've been a software developer for a very long time:)

We don't need to wait for quantum computing. The computing hardware required for artificial intelligence has been around for a long time. The maths are there, the hardware is there, the logic is there. The only thing that still needs work is the art of putting it all together, but that is moving along rapidly.

In a previous employment, I worked at company developing a virtual call centre agent. Not simply following a script, but using artificial intelligence, adjusting parameters in real time and learning from each conversation, the system used off the shelf speech synthesizer and speech recognition software libraries for the nuts and bolts, but fed into our custom 'brain' that used patented trickery involving drawing upon an ever accumulating knowledge base, heuristics, and other stuff I can't go into, we basically built software that you could speak to and you'd forget that you were speaking to a machine. That was a good few years ago, and it was cutting edge at the time, but now it is almost common.

Image recognition algorithms have been around since at least the 1980s, but were held back by hardware until the powerful but cheap graphics processors started to emerge at the back end of the 1990s.

Robots that can walk like humans have been prototyped and proven in Japan since the late 1980s if I recall correctly. The main hurdle back then was the limitation of batteries. At that time, lead/acid batteries, as used in cars, were the main technology of choice for anything requiring a lot of power, but they are heavy. Battery technology has moved on loads since then.

Now, all of the components are there. The main hurdle now is not a technological one, but a social one. Quite simply, people are not yet ready for it. People fear it, and with good reason. We can easily make a machine follow instructions, even applying some AI to its way of doing so, but ultimately it is following a program. Actual sentience is a very complex thing. Philosophers have been trying for a very long time to define the criteria for it, and can't reach agreement. Now, there's the problem. Ask a programmer to write a program, and tell that programmer EXACTLY what is needed, and chances are, you will get exactly the required program. That never happens though. what happens is the programmer gets and incomplete and/or illogical specification to work from, and while he/she will question the spec, ultimately software development is an ongoing thing. Inevitably, bugs and limitations get in.

But, of course, the human mind has 'bugs' in it too. So what makes a human mind a better option than a computer when it comes to controlling something that can potentially kill? Well, the answer to that is simply experience. Individual experience, plus collective experience passed on as education. Before I was allowed to drive a car unsupervised, I had to first become old enough such that the law deemed I was likely to have enough life experience to drive responsibly. I had to have had chance to know danger and the consequences of underestimating danger for example. I also had to show that I had packed into my brain the combined experience of many drivers, such that I could identify and interpret clues to risks, make sound judgments as to when to brake, when to accelerate, when to slow down even though the road is clear because I've spotted something that is not quite right and raises alarm bells in my mind (the classic but oversimplified example would be the sight of a football rolling into the road ahead - a football poses not real hazard, but it is often followed by a child). You can't build all of that experience into software can you? Well, soon you can. Its still in its infancy, but once again, its a case of all the components being there, just waiting to be put together.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28936436

I didn't follow all the links in the opening post, so appologies if it has already been mentioned, but one of the more worrying developments in my opinion, is that its come out in the wash that future versions military UAV (drones) will be able to make the decision themselves whether or not to deploy weapons. That is a terrifying prospect. Attempting to build that human judgement into software to decide whether or not to actually kill people. As a programmer, I personally would refuse to work on that project (not that I'll be offered the chance anyway, I would never touch military projects of any kind).
Old 31-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Master
Thanks for all that information, Badger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummon

Maybe robots will be more enlightened than we are

Well, Cyberdyne in the movie certrainly thought of itself as such. So did the "Machinery" in, "The Matrix". As explained by the character Agent Smith.

In fact, someone might even postulate that we are in fact living in a simulation today, involving evolved "machines" which have already taken over, in some forgotten past. Everyone linked in to a central mainframe.

Old 31-08-2014, 01:55 AM
Badger1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
In fact, someone might even postulate that we are in fact living in a simulation today, involving evolved "machines" which have already taken over, in some forgotten past. Everyone linked in to a central mainframe.[/color]

A lot of people seem to independently believe such. As I myself did when I was a teenager, well before "The Matrix", and even well before the Internet.