Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-10-2019, 04:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
As Buddha means the awakened one, I understand it to mean that different people attain Buddhahood not that there are different Buddha's....

Ahh, interesting.

Quote:
In Buddhism, Buddha (/ˈbuːdə, ˈbʊdə/; Sanskrit: बुद्ध), "awakened one,"[2] is a title for someone who is awake, and has attained nirvana and Buddhahood. The title is most commonly used for Gautama Buddha, the founder of Buddhism, who is often simply known as "the Buddha". However, the title can also be used for others who have achieved enlightenment, such as the other human Buddhas who achieved enlightenment before Gautama, the five celestial Buddhas worshipped primarily by Vajrayana followers, and the bodhisattva named Maitreya, who will achieve enlightenment in the future and succeed Gautama Buddha as the supreme Buddha of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amit%C4%81bha

If different people attain Buddhahood then how are their not different Buddha's?

Here is a list of different Buddha's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buddhas

Old 14-10-2019, 05:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Read yourself.

I’ve personally never understood why people lie about their own progress, and this is the risk or very real reality of following people who themselves are not even on the right track.

The reality is anyone can copy and paste words, intellectually understand teachings, but to imagine or conflate it with progress or genuine insight is where the issue is.

In my opinion, the more regrettable aspect is when one misleads another in to believe in their limitations are the limitations of Buddhahood, and the Buddhist path.

This is why genuine teachers are important and not those with cultish attributes.

JL

Beyond just slinging attacks, what is it in my posts that you disagree with?
Old 14-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Master
Three types of Buddha

There are traditionally three types of Buddha, the most important of which is the

Samma Sammbuddha (Skt, Samyaksam Buddha) or Universal Buddha.

A Universal Buddha rediscovers the Dharma (the Truth regarding Existence) on his own and teaches others the Dharma.

In our own age this Universal Buddha is represented by Siddhattha Gotama (Skt, Siddhartha Gautama).

He is considered a great Buddha because he was an exceptional teacher of the Dharma, and his sermons are recorded as suttas or sutras, which provide the basis of Buddhism as a religion.

Of the other two types of Buddha, a Savaka Buddha

(Skt, Sravaka Buddha) is a person who has become enlightened through acquaintance with the teaching of a Universal Buddha.

A Pacceka Buddha (Skt, Pratekya Buddha) is someone who has become enlightened purely through his or her own wisdom (without the instruction of a Universal Buddha) but who has no cannot or chooses not to teach the Dharma to others.

In Theravada Buddhism a Buddha is also called an arhat though in Mahayana Buddhism this term may only refer to Savaka Buddhas.

A Tang Dynasty sculpture of Amitabha Buddha, found in the Hidden Stream Temple Cave, Longmen Grottoes, China indicates.

Buddhism (both Nikaya and Mahayana traditions) accepts that there are three type of Buddha, and generally accept their definitions as follows:

Samyaksam-Buddhas (Pali:Samma-Sambuddha):

(also known in the Mahayana as Bodhisattva-Buddhas) gain Nirvana by their own efforts, without a teacher of the entire path.

They may then lead others to enlightenment by teaching the Dharma in a time or world where it has been forgotten or has not been taught before, because a Samyaksam-Buddha does not depend upon a tradition that stretches back to a previous Samyaksam-Buddha, but instead discovers the path anew.

Pratyeka-Buddhas (Pali:Pacceka-Buddha): are similar to Samma-Sambuddha, in that they attain Nirvana by themselves, but they remain silent and keep the discovered Dharma to themselves.

Sravaka-Buddhas (Pali:Savaka-Buddhas): gain Nirvana, but attain Enlightenment by hearing the Dhamma as initially taught by a Samma-Sambuddha.

After attaining enlightenment, Sravaka-Buddhas might also lead others to enlightenment, but cannot teach the Dharma in a time or world where it has been forgotten or has not been taught before, because they depend upon a tradition that stretches back to a Samyaksam-Buddha.

http://chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com...ypes_of_Buddha

Old 14-10-2019, 05:13 PM
Master
A Pratyekabuddha (Sanskrit: प्रत्येक बुद्ध) or Paccekabuddha (Pāli: पच्चेकबुद्ध), literally "a lone buddha", "a buddha on their own" or "a private buddha",

is one of three types of enlightened beings according to some schools of Buddhism.

The other two types are the Śrāvakabuddhas and Samyaksambuddhas. Pratyekabuddhas are said to achieve enlightenment on their own, without the use of teachers or guides, according to some traditions by contemplating the principle of dependent arising.

They are said to arise only in ages where there is no Buddha and the Buddhist teachings (Sanskrit: dharma; Pāli: dhamma) are lost. Many may arise at a single time.

Unlike Supreme Buddhas (see bodhi), their enlightenment is not foretold.

Some schools assert that pratyekabuddhas are not omniscient, while others say that they are the same (in realisation) as Bodhisattvas, but do not have the will to teach the entire Dharma.

The Mahayana schools considered the Pratyekabuddhas to be self-centred and contrasted them unfavourably with the Bodhisattva.

According to the Theravada school, after rediscovering the path on their own, Paccekabuddhas are unable to teach the Dhamma, which requires the omniscience and supreme compassion of a Sammasambuddha, and even He hesitates to attempt to teach.

Pratyekabuddhas do give moral teachings, but do not bring others to enlightenment. They leave no saṅgha as a legacy to carry on the Dharma.

Pratyekabuddhas (e.g. Darīmukha J.378, Sonaka J.529) appear as teachers of Buddhist doctrine in pre-Buddhist times in several of the Jātakas.

The experiences and enlightenment verses uttered by Pratyekabuddhas are narrated in the Khaggavisāna-sutta of the Sutta Nipāta.

The yāna or vehicle by which pratyekabuddhas achieve enlightenment is called the pratyekayāna, the "on-one's-own vehicle", in Mahayana tradition.

http://chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com...Pratyekabuddha
Old 14-10-2019, 05:13 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Beyond just slinging attacks, what is it in my posts that you disagree with?

Jonesboy,

You asked me where you had said what you had said. I showed you. And yet you can’t take the honest truth.

If you can’t understand your own words (which I understand), I can’t help you.

JL
Old 14-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Talking ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
For that reason it is said that the fourfold establishing of mindfulness "is the one and only way, monks, for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow and lamentation, for the extinguishing of suffering and grief, for walking on the path of truth, for the realisation of nibbāna"."

1} Area of the four circular, hexagonal planes of cubo{6}-octa{8}hedron, are equal to the surface area of the spherical cubo-octahedron being defined,

2} Xx - Xy set of four chromosomes construct two most complicated biological/souls of Universe, that we know of,

3} human primary set of four that are beyond all other animals;
...harvests information, sort information, discover patterns and principles, apply those patterns and principles in support of integrity of humans, enviroement and Universe,

4} RNA-DNA code of chemical compounds---Guanine, Cytosine, Adenine and Thyamine,

5}observer, observed, line-of-relationship ecompassing both, and the background against which the above three exist within,

6} observation or recall, consideration or reconsideration, understanding or or comprehension, articulation { expression } of those three,

7} four kinds of twoness LINK,

8} four vertexia and surface planes oof the minimal 3D structure of Universe, the tetrahedron, whose 60 degree coordination are the same as four bisecting planes of the cubo-octahedron, as mentioned above,

9} the ones I forget.......

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 14-10-2019, 05:16 PM
janielee

Quote:
Meanwhile you copy and past

So you are saying there are multiple Buddha's?

Yes, to help you navigate what is clearly there but you can’t comprehend.

The only question is why you insist on visiting the Buddhist forums to lecture and supposedly teach others, in the name of the internet Guru you follow and your own desired following, when you don’t even understand the fundamentals.

I see your Google and dodge skills, but little else.

Peace,

JL
Old 14-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Jonesboy,

You asked me where you had said what you had said. I showed you. And yet you can’t take the honest truth.

If you can’t understand your own words (which I understand), I can’t help you.

JL

I do understand what i wrote, what I do not understand it what you disagree with beyond everything I post.

Pick something I said and then show where I am wrong beyond you just saying so..
Old 14-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Yes, to help you navigate what is clearly there but you can’t comprehend.

The only question is why you insist on visiting the Buddhist forums to lecture and supposedly teach others, in the name of the internet Guru you follow and your own desired following, when you don’t even understand the fundamentals.

I see your Google and dodge skills, but little else.

Peace,

JL

I have my view but there are others who have their views. Unlike you I am not here to put down others for holding a different view that me.

A forum is a place to share with others and learn. I believe that is what everyone is doing but you within this discussion.
Old 14-10-2019, 05:30 PM
janielee

Quote:
I never said a Buddha is constantly fighting obstructions. If you were not in such a hurry putting down everything I post you would actually read it.

Post 177

Etc

You remind me of a lawyer who is trying to cry foul because you are losing your arguments each and every time. Trying to call my posts spam in every thread, and other things.

Your strategies are obvious, but sad!

What I know is these games are endless, and your googling is supreme.

Please stay on topic, and stop invoking personal attacks/setups when your Buddhist knowledge and your own words are shown to be very inaccurate. Also suggest you keep track of your own words, rather than asking someone else to do so, and then attacking them when it’s shown up for what it is.

History is your friend here and this is not a courtroom

Peace

JL

PS Also suggest you stop trying to lecture Gem all day