Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old Today, 01:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
What about yearning to become Enlightened to help all Sentient beings, all yearnings cannot be bad surely...

if something is blocking the silence or bliss it is still an obstruction. as an example. if your sitting in meditation. and your mind is overehelmed with concerns that could block.

could be like........
https://youtu.be/bpNw7jYkbVc
Old Today, 02:29 PM
Master
Quote:
I know very little about ' Empowerment ' except what I have read, I was invited last year to attend one but declined as I prefer to understand what it's all about before participating.

Did The Buddha actually teach about Empowerment , I can't find any Suttas referring to these Ceremonies, to me it seems they are more Cultural mixed up with Dhamma Teachings. Maybe I'm wrong.

It is more associated with the Mahayana/Dzogchen paths/traditions. Practioners in those traditions take empowerments very serious. Just check out dharmawheel and you will see how serious they are about it.

Quote:
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche reminds us of the real meaning of 'empowerment':

"The most common description of abhisheka is that it is a transfer of power during a ceremony to give recipients the authorization to hear, study and practice the teachings of the vajrayana; we therefore “receive an empowerment.”

But the problem is that receiving an empowerment suggests someone is giving us a power we previously lacked[...], and is a long way away from the true spirit of tantric initiation.

During an initiation we are introduced to an aspect of ourselves that already exists within us but that we have yet to recognize, and it is the activation of this recognition that we call 'empowerment' or 'initiation'. This is the real meaning of abhisheka.

Oral transmission (Tib. ལུང་, lung; Wyl. lung; Skt. āgama) — It is important to receive an oral transmission (sometimes called 'aural transmission' or 'reading transmission') from a teacher, in order to create an auspicious connection with a particular text or practice. In the case of tantric texts, such as sādhanas or commentaries, this transmission occurs once one has received the relevant empowerment.

The reading transmission is passed down from master to student when the student listens to the teacher reading a text for which he or she holds a transmission, ultimately going back to the author of the text.

In this way, the student receives the blessing of the lineage without which he or she will not be able to understand the text fully in all its depth. Some teachers even consider it inappropriate to look at and read a dharma text for which one has not yet received a transmission.

http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia...hp/Empowerment

The bolded part is the key. It connects one to the power of the lineage, allows one to truly do the practices and understand the teaching at a much deeper level.
Old Today, 03:15 PM
Master
Quote:
I know very little about ' Empowerment ' except what I have read, I was invited last year to attend one but declined as I prefer to understand what it's all about before participating.

Did The Buddha actually teach about Empowerment , I can't find any Suttas referring to these Ceremonies, to me it seems they are more Cultural mixed up with Dhamma Teachings. Maybe I'm wrong.
"Did The Buddha actually teach about Empowerment" depends upon which Buddha you are talking about.

Maitreya spoke about enlightenment in the Lotus Sutra chapter 17.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: ........... April 4th, 1984.
.................................................. .................................................. ............
Old Today, 04:23 PM
Master
Quote:
What about yearning to become Enlightened to help all Sentient beings, all yearnings cannot be bad surely...

I would agree. It is that desire to help other beings that helps a Bodhisattva not get trapped in certain stages.

The desire to continue on the path or to help others is different than a desire for states of mind, powers, etc which are more ego related.
Old Today, 04:54 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
I would agree. It is that desire to help other beings that helps a Bodhisattva not get trapped in certain stages.

The desire to continue on the path or to help others is different than a desire for states of mind, powers, etc which are more ego related.

'Fourfold vow.....“However innumerable sentient beings are, I vow to save them all. However inexhaustible delusions are, I vow to extinguish them all. However immeasurable Dharma teachings are, I vow to master them all. However endless the Buddha’s Way is, I vow to follow it.” ...... When we really take this to heart it naturally arouses great aspiration, and a great yearning to awaken for all beings '
Old Today, 05:12 PM
Master
Quote:
'Fourfold vow.....“However innumerable sentient beings are, I vow to save them all. However inexhaustible delusions are, I vow to extinguish them all. However immeasurable Dharma teachings are, I vow to master them all. However endless the Buddha’s Way is, I vow to follow it.” ...... When we really take this to heart it naturally arouses great aspiration, and a great yearning to awaken for all beings '

Thank you sky.

This is from the Lankavatara Sutra and is what i was referring to.

Quote:
Having attained this exalted and blissful state of realization as far as it can be attained by disciples, the Bodhisattva must not give himself up to the enjoyment of its bliss, for that would mean cessation, but should think compassionately of other beings and keep ever fresh his original vows; he should never let himself rest nor exert himself in the bliss of the Samádhis.
http://buddhasutra.com/files/lankavatara_sutra.htm
Old Today, 05:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Thank you sky.

This is from the Lankavatara Sutra and is what i was referring to.

he is under the asumption the subtleness of it has an end. do you believe such?

could be like........
https://youtu.be/bpNw7jYkbVc
Old Today, 06:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
he is under the asumption the subtleness of it has an end. do you believe such?

I would agree with the Buddha that bliss can be a trap.

As you know there are stages of bliss/ecstasy.