Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 13-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Master
Back to the Breath.

It is only to notice this breath. This breath isn't a controlled breath, it's 'now' noticed. Do not try to alter the breath, just notice it as it already is.

Nothing should enter the mind... like a visualization of the breath and no word should be thought, such as counting the breath. Nothing should be changed such as making deeper the breath. Never try to make a 'belly breath'

Nothing at all should be done. Just notice it, nothing more.

The breath will regulate itself. If it needs to be deeper it will deepen. If it needs to become very shallow, it will. It does not need you to regulate it.

Your job is to watch the breath, not to interfere with it, so do nothing, only watch... and remain aware.
Old 13-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Suspended
What is the purpose of watching the breath Gem? Does it distract from mind-chatter? Or what?
Old 13-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
What is the purpose of watching the breath Gem? Does it distract from mind-chatter? Or what?

First, it is the natural breath, not a controlled breath.

When you notice the breath now, it is not being controlled, and we want to remain aware of that now moment.

Using volition you make the breath 'the way you want it', but we want to observe it 'as it is'.

We don't use the 'volition' to change the breath... only the 'intent' to observe the natural breath.

Observing it does distact your attention from mental chitter chatter.
Old 13-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Suspended
Hiya Gem

Thanks for the clarification. I've been practising this for a while now since you posted it some time ago. I particularly like that one doesn't change the way one breathes in order to fulfil some meditation technique. It's simply a matter of observing the natural breathing rhythm.

Cheers big ears.
Old 13-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
Hiya Gem

Thanks for the clarification. I've been practising this for a while now since you posted it some time ago. I particularly like that one doesn't change the way one breathes in order to fulfil some meditation technique. It's simply a matter of observing the natural breathing rhythm.

Cheers big ears.

Actually it is feeling the sensation.

Knowing the breath is coming in and going out is ok, but that is mental notation, an awareness of the knowledge of breathing...

What we want to remain aware of is sensation. The sensation of the air moving.

You can forget about the air really. What actually happens is the sensation.

Feel that in the nose, on the nostrils... because the nostrils always feel the breath, even the slightest shallowest most imperceptable breath.

It is to feel those sensations which are happening in the nose.
Old 14-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Master
I agree and do so but I also quite enjoy letting the breathe dance.

By kinda riding with it and getting a very flowing thing going on I kinda then start riding the sensation to increase awareness of the spirit body...

Right or wrong... It's a playground!
Old 15-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Interesting
By kinda riding with it and getting a very flowing thing going on I kinda then start riding the sensation to increase awareness of the spirit body...

I think that's very insightful. In fact, that's the reason I find the sensation is the important focus, but I don't really say so.... because I think it's a discovery process and not for me to say.

Thanks for contributing. Very interesting point.
Old 15-01-2012, 06:00 AM
Deactivated Account

maybe I am missing something ? is there a purpose in watching the breath ? or is the idea, not to have a purpose , just breathe ?

Dream Angel xx

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 15-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Angel
maybe I am missing something ? is there a purpose in watching the breath ? or is the idea, not to have a purpose , just breathe ?

Dream Angel xx

There are a few purposes.

The main one is to be silently observant which is done by remaining aware of the sensation of breathing in each passing moment. It is quite difficult to do because your attention gets distracted by mental chatter...

With practice you can retain your attention on the intended focus, which is the sensation of breathing... and greatly increase attention span.

The reason we feel it in the nose is, you can pay attention to the subtler details of the breathing sensation, and by noticing the most subtle sensation, the mind becomes much sharper and keenly perceptive.

As mr interesting suggests, being able to feel the most subtle sensations opens into feeling the 'energy body'... but I don't wish to go into distraction at the begining step.

This technique will probably come with some emotional release too, but don't become distracted by reactivity to that, stay in the eye of the storm, and remain aware of the breath as it comes and goes moment by moment.
Old 15-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Deactivated Account

thanks for the explanation Gem, for me, I can't see " why " I would want to do this .... no need for further explanation as it might detour from your thread

best wishes to those who are watching their breath

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction