Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

View Poll Results: Are the Narnia Books Pagan or Christian?
They are Christian 4 44.44%
They are Pagan 1 11.11%
They are neither 2 22.22%
They are both 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Master
Are the Narnia Books Pagan or Christian?

C.S. Lewis was a Christian, and it is apparent that the Narnia Books contain some Christian Symbolism - namely in the form of Aslan the lion who may represent Christ. However the books are also full of all sorts of other magical, mythical and occult symbolism.

So which do you think they are; Pagan or Christian?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 17-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Ecthalion

They are so obviously Christian.

Aslan is God and the witch is the devil.

Tolkien and Lewis each wrote their mythologies; Tolkien's set in another time (Earth in the past) and Lewis' in another world. Both men were Christians and their beliefs show through in their works. Tolkien even said to Lewis that his symbolism was too obviously Christian.
Old 17-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Tsuga

I voted Christian, because CS Lewis was a devout Christian.
Maybe I should have voted BOTH.

The Chronicles of Narnia have only 3 of the 4 books that can be sourced back to the scriptures. As an example, Prince Caspian is about militarism, and The Silver Chair tackles issues of bullying and corporal punishment. And I may be wrong, but I'm sure A Horse and His Boy is simply about Vanity. There is no evidence to support the theory that all seven books were about Christianity.

I'd say there is a missing category to vote in. What that might be I'm not sure. Maybe something to do with other mythologies ???

t

Last edited by Tsuga : 17-07-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 17-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Master
Lewis did go through periods of doubt about Jesus' true identity.

What shines forth through the books is Lewis' love and sense of wonder. I voted 'both' because those aspects of him were obviously inspired by more than just Christianity. So much goes on in the books that a single source of inspiration seems unlikely.

Old 17-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Master
The Narnia books sum up my own vocation. I am centred in my worship of God and am inspired by the myriad of beings who collectively inhabit the world or Creation.

Christ is slightly mysterious to me. I'm just not really sure who He is. But God is obviously Himself. So to me Aslan represents a symbol of God; while all the other beings in the books represent the inhabitants of God's Creation.

What I am certain of is that the Narnia books come from deep inspiration and devotion. That is enough for me.

Old 17-07-2014, 05:40 PM
elisi

i don't care what inspired those books, i loved them!
Old 17-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Tsuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
So much goes on in the books that a single source of inspiration seems unlikely.

Time and again academics, theologians, literary critics, etc.. have looked for a code in the Narnian tales. Time and again their theories have collapsed when trying to encompass all 7 books.

Micheal Ward claims to have found that hidden code.
Take a look at the FAQ page of his website, it is fascinating to say the least.
If like me you love the books then I sure you'll find that Micheal Ward has added a wonderful new dimension to world of Narnia.

Planet Narnia

t.
Old 17-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Experiencer

I first read the Narnia books with one of my children, about 35 years ago, and later on, with the other two. It never occurred to me that they had any Christian symbolism at all, and I was astonished to learn that other people saw it. I had read the "Screwtape Letters" when I was in High School, and really liked them, so I knew Lewis was a Christian. I guess symbolism is in the "eye of the beholder", and mine was blind to what was there. In any event, the books are charming.
Old 17-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisi
i don't care what inspired those books, i loved them!

I was thinking along similar lines.

I thought (maybe wrongly) that Christianity got a lot of its ideas from Paganism.
Old 17-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Master
But surely it is interesting to have some idea of what inspired the books?

My feeling is that it was Lewis' own divine nature being expressed; which was accordingly inspired by Christ/God/Paganism