Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 07:05 PM
DASA

Gouranga

Hello Poppies,

Gouranga is said in the same way as 'Namaste' - it means 'be happy' and is supposed to bring good fortune to whoever speaks or hears it (according to Hare Krishna tradition).

It is the name of a Saint who lived in Bengal, India 500 years ago. His official title was 'Krishna Chaitanya', but Gouranga was more like a nickname meaning 'Golden one'. His skin complexion was light gold in colour thus the name.

On the point of organised religion, I too rejected the established church and sought another path. Years later I actually find more genuine joy and realisation now when I read Jesus's words than I ever did before-hand. Gold is gold wherever you may find it.

Gouranga !!

your servant,

Das
Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Poppies

Re: Gouranga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASA
Gouranga is said in the same way as 'Namaste' - it means 'be happy' and is supposed to bring good fortune to whoever speaks or hears it (according to Hare Krishna tradition).

It is the name of a Saint who lived in Bengal, India 500 years ago. His official title was 'Krishna Chaitanya', but Gouranga was more like a nickname meaning 'Golden one'. His skin complexion was light gold in colour thus the name.
Thanks for the explanation! :)

Quote:
On the point of organised religion, I too rejected the established church and sought another path. Years later I actually find more genuine joy and realisation now when I read Jesus's words than I ever did before-hand. Gold is gold wherever you may find it.
I like that! :)
Old 07-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Space_Man

Re: Gouranga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASA
Gouranga...means 'be happy'
Old 08-01-2006, 03:36 AM
Elen0Sila

I don't remember where I read this, but somewhere I read that "religion" is based upon defining "us" and "other" (through dogma, theology, tests of faith, etc.) whereas spirituality seeks to connect (with others and with a larger principle, whatever that principle may be). So basically religion is limiting and spirituality is expansive.

With that said, I personally like many of the aspects of "religion" -- such as religious laws and rituals -- that are often seen as narrow and purposeless. It's important to me as a Jew to practice some of the rituals that are seen as "religious" and not necessarily "spiritual." But they feel right to me ... and allow me to feel that connection.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Poppies

Hello, Elen0Sila! Welcome here! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elen0Sila
It's important to me as a Jew to practice some of the rituals that are seen as "religious" and not necessarily "spiritual." But they feel right to me ... and allow me to feel that connection.
But when the rituals are helpful to you, they are helping you in your faith - they are not restricting you. I guess they're aiding you in your spirituality!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 AM
sashwah

Religion

Hello everyone, i've just joined this site after pinging from one to another for a while in search of some sensible conversation... at last it seems i have found it!!
I like many of you have stuggled in search of that thing which will make me feel whole. I searched and searched and found it within myself. I have never felt as together as i do now i have my faith in spirituality.
I like to study religion and it seems to me that sories are repeated throughout all doctrines, the same things happen.. noah's flood, epic of gilgamesh.. to name but one.
I wanted to ask you a question please Dasa if you don't mind. I believe jesus existed, i believe he was a healer. I do not believe he was the son of god but a son of god like you or I. I have come across some literature that supports that jesus did not die but actually went to india and was in fact a buddhist. The Buddah Christ. I have also read that the pharisee believed in reincarnation and jesus was with them for a while. What is your take on this? I feel that it is possible and i'd like to think it were true!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:43 PM
DASA

Re: Religion

Hello Sashwah,

There have been a number of enlightening posts on this thread so far. It's refreshing to see this on the net.

In regards to Jesus, I would agree with you that 'we are all sons of God'. If a man or woman on Earth can have more than one son, it only seems sensible that the Supreme Lord should not be limited to one only.

In Bhagavad-Gita 9.17 Krishna Himself says "I am the father of this universe, the mother, the support and the grandsire."

Often people seem to get very much caught up in trying to define 'what' or 'who' Jesus was, rather than studying his teachings which I believe are far more important, and more practical to us.

There are a number of stories regarding Jesus' travels to India. Some old manuscripts were found in a monastary detailing how he journeyed within India visiting Buddhist and Hindu temples to talk to the monks and priests. He was then known as Saint 'Issa' or 'Isha'. There is a book all about this called 'The Lost Years of Jesus', written by Elizabeth Clare Prophet which makes very interesting reading. From what I can see both Hindu and Buddhist practitioners (some, not all) have tried to label Jesus as being part of their 'religion' in recent years to gain an extra feel of credibility. I think that misses the point somewhat. The truth is above all man-made material designations, and anyone who teaches it is similarly above such terms.

As for reincarnation, there is much evidence to suggest it was a widely held belief by some in the early Christian church before being officially removed for 'political' reasons during an historic Church council meeting in Constantinople in the 6th Century. Again there is a book all about this by Dr. Geddes Mac Gregor called 'Reincarnation in Christianity' that covers the subject within Christianity and another called 'The Reincarnation Controversy' by Stephen Rosen which looks at evidence to suggest it in a number of the world 'religions'.

It certainly makes sense to me that we are reincarnated, and I believe in modern times Ian Stevenson pretty much proves it as a fact in his books, except to the outright sceptics. His research methods are really clear and scientific.

Bhagavad-Gita 2.20 "For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain."

I hope you find the above useful,

Best Wishes & Gouranga !

your servant,

Das
:-)
Old 08-01-2006, 02:27 PM
sashwah

9:29 I am the same to all beings, and my love is ever the same; but those who worship me with devotion, they are in me and i am in them.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Space_Man

Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elen0Sila
...somewhere I read that "religion" is based upon defining "us" and "other"...
Oh, but just think what a potential can of worms just this can be (like with the
Old 08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
sashwah

can of worms

There's nothing i like more than rummaging through the contents of a can of worms! I personally do not belong to a religion.. i have a philosophy which, itself, keeps evolving. My philosphy is based mainly on my interaction with the world but it does not differ so much from spirituality or budhism. I have my own identity, i do not need the idea of a church or religious belief before me to say who i am and what i like.. that changes constantly anyway.... develops.
i do find the idea that Jesus survived and lived in India, although i do not know as much about it as i would like to, this too, in time will change...
Interesting theory about jesus being Adam reincarnate, may i ask why you think this? I have never heard anyone say this before, i find the idea most intriguing but wonder what brought you to the conclusion.
I'll have to wait for your thread... :)
Closed Thread