Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 03-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Newbie ;)

I really do not know what to believe in

I ws raised Christian (Catholic specifically), but for years now I've been unable to unable to make up my mind for more than several months at a time whether I'm Christian (Methodist, at the moment, specifically) or an agnostic atheist.

I used to believe in theistic evolution, but I've been questioning how exactly that adds up with the Bible and is actually correct. I also think that strongly thinking the universe and humans existing without a divine purpose is nonsense doesn't make that true. Even as a young Christian, "everything's so pretty/complex" was less of proof of god and more of a very subjective opinion. The universe is billions of years old. That's plenty of time for nature to work itself out to what we see now. I've also known for a while that people don't think there's proof of the Israelites ever being in Egypt and I looked up that again and that view seems plausibly supported. (But then again, there's also a lot of people who swear up and down Jesus never existed and also try to give historical reasoning for this position)

The best I reasoning I have to be a Christian is a possible first cause argument, me thinking that if there was a god, the one described in the Bible makes the most sense, and perceived personal proof. But I am uneasy with believing in religion without much scientific defense among my belief. Also, I can't disregard the fact that the god of the Bible might make sense to me just because I was raised to think Christianity was true.

I don't know what to believe and I'm frustrated at this point. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this please? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:16 AM
Deactivated Account
Why believe in anything, belief isn't truth, truth is ever flowing, once you start to believe in something, truth then stops flowing, for now you believe you know the truth. Die everyday to what you believe in, and live everyday to what arises for that day, but don't cling to anything.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:53 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
Why believe in anything, belief isn't truth, truth is ever flowing, once you start to believe in something, truth then stops flowing, for now you believe you know the truth. Die everyday to what you believe in, and live everyday to what arises for that day, but don't cling to anything.
Agreed! "Clinking" interferes with the occurrence-of-being. And "believing" is one of the stickiest forms of clinging.

Images of 'not', being mistaken for substance,
for it's not, unless it is,
which rarely happens
in the manor
in which we 'think' it
Old 03-02-2015, 03:05 AM
Master
Believe in whatever you believe. Christian, atheist, evolutionist, its all just language trying to describe the human experience. In my experience noone can describe your experience better than you. Find your own Truth/God/Whatever.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:24 AM
sohappy

In my home country most people are Christian, yet they are very open of alternative things. It's very common for baptized Christians to seek wise women, meditation, affirmations, moon rituals etc. Something similar to Mexico where many people are very into wise women and Native traditions and beliefs, yet into the official Catholic religion at the same time. I think Western Europe, the USA and Canada are more indoctrinated into dogmas and feel guilty and like rejecting Christianity. But they take the Bible and religion too literally.

Who cares about labels anyway? I believe in chakras, energy cleansing, gemstones, etc. but I am Christian and I go to church. I agree with athribiristan, faith is a very personal thing and you don't owe any explanations whatsoever. It's the close minded ones that oppose Christianity or other religions with other spiritual beliefs. You are free to adopt different practices and beliefs according to how you feel without having to throw your original religion away or label yourself in any way.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:42 AM
I won't be any help because I don't 'believe' in any kind of
blind faith.
I 'believe' in direct experience...and know that science is limited
and has not discovered answers 'yet'.

With the absence of that, if a person wanted to believe in something...
had a leaning towards that, rather than atheism...
I probably would want them to read the words of
those that had direct Divine Visitations or Cosmic Consciousness or
were given direct revelations..Hafiz, Kabir, St. John of the Cross, St Theresa of Avila,
Guru Nanak, Catherine of Sienna, Mirabai, Tulsidas,
Sister (St) Faustina...among many others.

Rather than reading a book about an angry, jealous,
murderous Father.

I would want him to question the experience that a man can have
that makes him say words like...
To see a World in a grain of sand
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour.

Or can write Psalm 139 or can talk about the breadth, the heighth,
the width and the length of a love that man can not fathom...

What...what kind of altered state, what kind of experience
makes a man transcend to this point...and I would want
my friend to search and seek, read and study Yogis and Masters and
Poets from around the world
and find that common denominator they all have...
something so Divine, Sacred and Holy....and ask
myself how can I get ''that''.

Seek...all over...and be still...then you can know for yourself...and
have no need to answer to anyone of science...or agree
with a particular dogma...bec you will know for yourself what is what.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-02-2015, 07:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by athribiristan
Believe in whatever you believe. Christian, atheist, evolutionist, its all just language trying to describe the human experience. In my experience noone can describe your experience better than you. Find your own Truth/God/Whatever.

Good points.

To the OP:

I always try and simplify.
Be a loving, caring human being, and see where that takes you. Further along your path, you will see what resonates more.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhbr100
I ws raised Christian (Catholic specifically), but for years now I've been unable to unable to make up my mind for more than several months at a time whether I'm Christian (Methodist, at the moment, specifically) or an agnostic atheist.

I used to believe in theistic evolution, but I've been questioning how exactly that adds up with the Bible and is actually correct. I also think that strongly thinking the universe and humans existing without a divine purpose is nonsense doesn't make that true. Even as a young Christian, "everything's so pretty/complex" was less of proof of god and more of a very subjective opinion. The universe is billions of years old. That's plenty of time for nature to work itself out to what we see now. I've also known for a while that people don't think there's proof of the Israelites ever being in Egypt and I looked up that again and that view seems plausibly supported. (But then again, there's also a lot of people who swear up and down Jesus never existed and also try to give historical reasoning for this position)

The best I reasoning I have to be a Christian is a possible first cause argument, me thinking that if there was a god, the one described in the Bible makes the most sense, and perceived personal proof. But I am uneasy with believing in religion without much scientific defense among my belief. Also, I can't disregard the fact that the god of the Bible might make sense to me just because I was raised to think Christianity was true.

I don't know what to believe and I'm frustrated at this point. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this please? Thanks in advance.

i have often wondered about this. it was easy to leave the faith of my family(catholic). i could see how the religion was mistaken in so many ways. i had an advantage. i could see another side. i died when i was ten and saw the other side. so i knew the faith was false.

what i wondered about was how people that do not have this learn or work enough to get out of the trap. maybe trap is not the right word. religion is a good place to start. it is like grade school. it gives us a base. but i wondered how people that have only the bible learn to go further?

i see people replacing a belief in god with a belief in the bible. i wondered why they stay. i think it is because it is all they have. they have been conditioned to believe the faith of their family and they cannot think outside the box.

i am glad to see you questioning. i wish you secessin whatever you choose.

kk
Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Guide
For me, after my Soul Awakening the only real belief is the belief in the Self - my Higher Self, my Soul.
I am God having a human experience through my Soul, which is my Higher Self.

Religions and Belief systems that dictate a belief in some external God out there I regard as a false religion. I watched the Secret to learn the Law of Attraction, and thus honed my manifestation abilities. I know God created Angels to help us, so I can ask various angels for help where I see fit, using prescribed methods.
I practice meditation to help silence my mind in order to bring calm and order into my chaotic inner realms. I studied the Esoteric Kabbalah (Tree of Life) to strengthen and ground me in the belief of my own Divinity.

The Bible is after all a Highly Kabbalistic book, if you know how to look for such references.

Important aspects of my Spiritual development:
Practice breathing to absorb Divine Energy (Hebrew = Ruach or Hindu = Prana)
Practice Grounding
Practice Shielding
I learned the LBRP to help protect me from negative energies and influences, which I perform a few times a week as I see fit.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Seek...all over...and be still...then you can know for yourself...and
have no need to answer to anyone of science...or agree
with a particular dogma...bec you will know for yourself what is what.
Well said!