Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 12-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Guide
Genetically modified foods........Are they safe?

Genetically modified foods........
Are they safe?

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) doesn't think so. The Academy reported that "Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food," including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.

Before the FDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, FDA scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long-term safety studies, but were ignored.

Since then, findings include:
  • Thousands of sheep, buffalo, and goats in India died after grazing on Bt cotton plants
  • Mice eating GM corn for the long term had fewer, and smaller, babies
  • More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks, and were smaller
  • Testicle cells of mice and rats on a GM soy change significantly
  • By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies
  • Rodents fed GM corn and soy showed immune system responses and signs of toxicity
  • Cooked GM soy contains as much as 7-times the amount of a known soy allergen
  • Soy allergies skyrocketed by 50% in the UK, soon after GM soy was introduced
  • The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth, a condition that may lead to cancer.
  • Studies showed organ lesions, altered liver and pancreas cells, changed enzyme levels, etc.

Unlike safety evaluations for drugs, there are no human clinical trials of GM foods. The only published human feeding experiment revealed that the genetic material inserted into GM soy transfers into bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function. This means that long after we stop eating GM foods, we may still have their GM proteins produced continuously inside us. This could mean:
  • If the antibiotic gene inserted into most GM crops were to transfer, it could create super diseases, resistant to antibiotics
  • If the gene that creates Bt-toxin in GM corn were to transfer, it might turn our intestinal bacteria into living pesticide factories.

Although no studies have evaluated if antibiotic or Bt-toxin genes transfer, that is one of the key problems. The safety assessments are too superficial to even identify most of the potential dangers from GMOs. See our Health Risks brochure and State of the Science report for more details and citations.

Recent health studies provide growing evidence of harm from GMOs:

GM Corn Damages Liver and Kidneys
Meat Raised on GM Feed is Different
Roundup Could Cause Birth Defects
Genetically Modified Soy Linked to Sterility
Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 AM
tragblack

Let us pray and visualize, if we wish, that word of this gets out, and the positive opposite occurs!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Moon Willow

I'll stick to my organic foods thanks!

Mother Earth creates perfection in all of her offerings so why mess with this? I have yet to hear anything good about G.E. and quite frankly it scares me. If you ask me it's just someones 'get-rich' scheme and has nothing to do with the best for our people and planet.

So answer to your question - no, I don't think G.E. is safe.

Moon Willow (grower of healthy, organic foods in my little home garden)
Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Master

Maybe the FDA scientists warned against them but the FDA is managed by people who come from corporate backgrounds like Monsanto.

Aspartame is another fine example of how something was allowed to be placed in our food after much evidence already existed that it was unsafe. Donald Rumsfeld, then head of Searle, used political dirty tricks to get it approved after it had initially been banned by the FDA.

Same goes for the Dept of Agriculture's food pyramid. It promotes products and not health. The food pyramid tells people to fill up on grain like cattle! It's the base of the pyramid and that's where you also find most of the GMO products. You can't help but think they want to get you sick so you can support the pharmaceutical industry!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:13 AM
glenos

For a time I worked in this "industry". And I put it this way, the genie is out of the bottle. "The answer my friend is blowing in the wind"...

G.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Master
That's why I eat organic but can organic foods be GM?
Spiritlite.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritlite
That's why I eat organic but can organic foods be GM?
Spiritlite.

No. 100% Organic foods are not supposed to contain any genetically modified ingredients.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Master
oh okay thanks Inspirit now I love my Coop even more
Spiritlite.
Old 16-11-2010, 07:05 PM
star-child

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Let us pray and visualize, if we wish, that word of this gets out, and the positive opposite occurs!
I'm on the case! In my Health and Social Care class each student is creating a health promotion campaign, I'm doing the effects of chemicals in foods, I will add the effects of genetic engineering too.
Old 23-08-2023, 08:19 PM
Dude111

Alot of GM foods bother my stomach so I basically went all organic years ago.......

I have started eating SOME reg food again that didnt bother me before but im very careful what I consume......

I find that HFCS and SOY LECITHIN dont really thankfully bother me so I eat some stuff that has that again but alot of stuff does.....