Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 24-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Master
The opportunity for discussion topics related to Buddhism.

What I would like to see is people other than the 'usual suspects' access this section, but I get a distinct sense that the tone that is common in these threads is a turn off. The other day in chat, a member commented to me something like, you guys have an exclusive club in that Buddhist section. Of course I agreed because I had made a very similar comment about this exclusivity in a thread the day before, and because it's embarrassing for me that I am associated with that, I immediately distanced myself from it, and replied, I'm not part of that, but I know exactly what you mean. Those who frequent this section know that I am forever banging on about the vibe being unwelcoming, it doesn't radiate with loving kindness, and it doesn't resemble the harmony characteristic of sangha communities.

The majority here aren't complicit, but get sucked into the inanity, and as an outcome, a most disharmonious, competitive and harsh vibration is produced, which is repellent to the wider membership. This is because the discourse is at the level of knowledge and inconsiderate of the more subtle, sensitive levels of loving kindness. We might consider that what is called 'Buddha mind' is more to do with the 'eternal heart' than it is to do with being right.

Personally, I undertook Dhamma practice, the refuge, the sila vows, and practiced long hours in traditional meditation, so it's become part of my life and I value it, which is why I don't want to see the SF Buddhist section become a scary place. People feel excluded, and that's bad.

I instill metta in my words because it brings forward the essence of nature, my nature and yours, the qualitative nature of life, so that a peaceful aura be generated in which participants feel OK, comfortable, cared for and safe. I mean, this is what brings Buddha to Buddhism and unless this can be brought, there is no opportunity for discussions.

This is the issue, and my suggested metta solution.

May peace be your heart.
Old 24-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Experiencer
I never have time to read all the topics here, but as a timely reminder, here are the Buddha's words on Loving Kindness in the Karaniya Metta Sutta (Sn 1.8)

"This is what should be done
By one who is skilled in goodness,
And who knows the path of peace:
Let them be able and upright,
Straightforward and gentle in speech,
Humble and not conceited,
Contented and easily satisfied,
Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.
Peaceful and calm and wise and skillful,
Not proud or demanding in nature.
Let them not do the slightest thing
That the wise would later reprove.
Wishing: In gladness and in safety,
May all beings be at ease.
Whatever living beings there may be;
Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
The seen and the unseen,
Those living near and far away,
Those born and to-be-born —
May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
Or despise any being in any state.
Let none through anger or ill-will
Wish harm upon another.
Even as a mother protects with her life
Her child, her only child,
So with a boundless heart
Should one cherish all living beings;
Radiating kindness over the entire world:
Spreading upwards to the skies,
And downwards to the depths;
Outwards and unbounded,
Freed from hatred and ill-will.
Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
Free from drowsiness,
One should sustain this recollection.
This is said to be the sublime abiding.
By not holding to fixed views,
The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
Being freed from all sense desires,
Is not born again into this world."

Source =http://"http://www.accesstoinsight.o...1.08.amar.html

Wishing everyone good health, happiness and peace in 2017.

_/\_ Samana
Old 25-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Depends on what kind of buddhism you are referring to. As soon as affiliation with one of the buddhist traditions happens people's outlook usually is getting too narrow and inappropriate.
From my own experience I can say that a lot of inspiration can be drawn from the many buddhist traditions but it is better to not get involved with them.
Old 25-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Suspended
It's a section I've started visiting quite often lately. I really enjoy some of the posts - but there is an overriding sense of 'competitiveness' (I think that's the right word). That spoils it somewhat. I wonder whether that's just part & parcel of forum life though. I mean, Christianity is all about the love but that section is SCARY.
Old 25-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Suspended
In addition, I rarely post in this Buddhist section because I just don't feel 'qualified' to do so. I think that comes across too as a whole negative atmosphere.
Old 25-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Buddhism has helped me very much. But if I ever will get involved with buddhism I will be losing all the help it has given me.
Old 25-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
I rarely post in this Buddhist section because I just don't feel 'qualified' to do so.

Humbleness, lack of ego, I think that makes you the most qualified.
Old 26-12-2016, 12:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
It's a section I've started visiting quite often lately. I really enjoy some of the posts - but there is an overriding sense of 'competitiveness' (I think that's the right word). That spoils it somewhat. I wonder whether that's just part & parcel of forum life though. I mean, Christianity is all about the love but that section is SCARY.

Personally, I find religious belief of all kinds frightening, and although a sense of belonging within a community through some form of organised knowledge or conformity of belief is good for emotional well-being, the requirement to conform as a condition of belonging doesn't strike me as genuine acceptance. On the contrary, it's exclusive of those who don't conform to the belief system. Overall, there are very obvious signs that sectarianism is separatist rather than unifying - a stark contradiction in terms of spirituality. To me, spirituality is within any and every person, and it comes with a sense of truth, which is not to say 'something is true', but the qualia of truthfulness that enables a human being honest inquiry into their own nature.
Old 26-12-2016, 12:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
Depends on what kind of buddhism you are referring to. As soon as affiliation with one of the buddhist traditions happens people's outlook usually is getting too narrow and inappropriate.

Quote:
From my own experience I can say that a lot of inspiration can be drawn from the many buddhist traditions but it is better to not get involved with them.

I take 'Buddha' to mean the enlightenment within yourself and 'Dhamma' to mean nature's way. If I were in a strictly Buddhist setting I would have less significant definitions as well, but this forum isn't just for people who identify themselves as Buddhists, so the broader definitions are more apt due to their universality. I'd like to comment that I feel very pleased to see you and other folk who don't dominate the Buddhist section, because things like 'benefit', as you mention, are so direct to the essence of anything I'd call 'Buddhism', and if we really do have the spirit or attitude of metta, loving kindness, the benefit of ourselves and others is highly important. Indeed, this has nothing to do with identifying with any sect, but speaks to the virtues of human compassion, empathy and the mutual living of all beings.
Old 26-12-2016, 01:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind
Humbleness, lack of ego, I think that makes you the most qualified.

It is preferable to me to keep completely clear of notions of qualification because it is quite obvious that the notion that one is qualified in Buddhism is precisely what makes the Buddhist section an exercise of power, knowledge and, in my view at least, brutality. I'm not implicating you. Conversely, I have seen you become the target of unkind accusations. Personally, I appreciate your presence because for one thing you spent considerable time in monastic life and have visceral insight into zen that completely transcends 'information'. To me, it's that formative lived experience which one can't get from information, nor convey as information, that lends the subtle elements, elements that are not right or wrong, to the shared space. Everyone has their life path, so we each bring the same thing, but in different and unique ways. I think humility is a fine quality and egomania is something to be acutely aware of, and making this the practice or way of life is bound to be of untold benefit to all of us. Thanks.