Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 09-11-2016, 04:41 AM
Master
Talking together

I want to bring it down a notch and make it so we have a conversation. I am just a cat who does a bit of meditation. I sat for a very long time and came to the subtlety of it all. It's a delicate sensitive area that requires a more concerted conversation. This is a thread of whole sincerity, for serious folk with an interest in the sublime.

This thread is sedate, and I suggest participants take at least one minute to settle themselves and emanate some metta so that the vibe here manifests conditions most conducive to each our benefit.

There needs to be a sense of equality, as one would imagine in the meaning of the word 'namaste'. The mutual recognition of the divine nature fundamental to everyone, to all living things, and to life itself. This is helpful in developing an aura of trust and respect, which is the primary fabric of sangha.

Last edited by Gem : 09-11-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:01 AM
Master
I learned something new today reading this.

Your a cat in disguise as a human..

I read something just now that kind of fits this thread. I thought it might be nice to post it here.

May all that has been reduced to noise in you, become music again.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 09-11-2016, 09:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
I learned something new today reading this.

Your a cat in disguise as a human..

I read something just now that kind of fits this thread. I thought it might be nice to post it here.

May all that has been reduced to noise in you, become music again.

It fits well. I've been getting back into music a bit these days. I'm an old school blues and rock fanatic, and it's been the closest thing I've had to a religion. Buddhism is just something I got onto through meditation, but I have no affiliation with the religion, and I don't identify as Buddhist. Of course, a rocker is essentially rebellious, so I can only be disruptive to status structures like the 'greater/lesser' dynamic (the other thread). I started this one as a space where people can just talk - not be lectured at/preached to. I don't think people are interested... It's just that this is my gig, and the other thread is entirely unsuitable for me.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Master
You've started a few threads in this vein over the last few months, and I'm always left feeling non-plussed, because I'm looking in your posts for a concrete starting point but I can never seem to find one. Now, that might be your intention, but in practice I feel like I need a discernible starting point, and it's why I haven't generally posted on your threads.

Maybe it would help me if you could elaborate some more on why you started the thread? What are you hoping to achieve, if anything?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
You've started a few threads in this vein over the last few months, and I'm always left feeling non-plussed, because I'm looking in your posts for a concrete starting point but I can never seem to find one. Now, that might be your intention, but in practice I feel like I need a discernible starting point, and it's why I haven't generally posted on your threads.

Maybe it would help me if you could elaborate some more on why you started the thread? What are you hoping to achieve, if anything?

I started it because the dynamics on the other thread aren't suitable to me. I know it's much more popular, but I find I can't talk there. I need a more subtle place which is conducive to a meditative approach. I have said it before, but I repeat it again, there shouldn't be a difference between conversing here and meditation. If it's meaningful, this should be listening not to agree/disagree and be right/wrong, but listening with introspection, and speaking from your centre, so to speak. It's always the same reason - so people will be truly affected and transformed in some way, and don't take that the wrong way, like I'm the goddam master and will transform your lives. I'm one of the people as well. It's when you are fundamentally changed as a person having realised something for yourself. Not as a past thing or something to occur later, but in the immediacy of this moment. I would say it is about meditation except that it's not apart from meditation. It's a conversation in meditation. If it's not that - then there is no point.

Last edited by Gem : 10-11-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Master
Great thread. Great comments. My addition to it in the spirit of meditation is that the thing I notice most about being still, body and mind, is when the impulse to move follows it. To me that's as much relevant and part of it as the stillness it comes from.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I started is because the dynamics on the other thread aren't suitable to me. I know it's much more popular, but I find I can't talk there. I need a more subtle place which is conducive to a meditative approach. I have said it before, but I repeat it again, there shouldn't be a difference between conversing here and meditation. If it's meaningful, this should be listening not to agree/disagree and be right/wrong, but listening with introspection, and speaking from your centre, so to speak. It's always the same reason - so people will be truly affected and transformed in some way, and don't take that the wrong way, like I'm the goddam master and will transform your lives. I'm one of the people as well. It's when you are fundamentally changed as a person having realised something for yourself. Not as a past thing or something to occur later, but in the immediacy of this moment. I would say it is about meditation except that it's not apart from meditation. It's a conversation in meditation. If it's not that - then there is no point.

Simple question. Do you think it is possible for one person to help another along the meditative path?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Simple question. Do you think it is possible for one person to help another along the meditative path?

Being of benefit to others is of course something I advocate. As I encouraged in my first post, I think we need to tone it down and establish right sort of metta from the outset, where in the community of participants there is genuine mutual wish for one anothers well being.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Being of benefit to others is of course something I advocate. As I encouraged in my first post, I think we need to tone it down and establish right sort of metta from the outset, where in the community of participants there is genuine mutual wish for one anothers well being.

So is that a yes?

You do believe one person can help another along the spiritual path?

Do you believe it is only through discourse that this can be achieved?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:18 AM
Suspended
Master

Here's a few of the thousands who have helped me:

From left to right, top row to bottom...

Thomas Merton, Guy who wrote Bhagavad-Gita as it is, Saint Francis, alan watts,
jesus, krishnamurti, mooji, yogananda,
buddha, mother teresa, plato

Last edited by RyanWind : 10-11-2016 at 04:29 AM.