Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 28-08-2011, 02:49 AM
Kamal

Best book/guide for Yoga?

I'm going to start my first yoga class on Monday most likely. After I get an idea of Yoga better what book would you recommend I could use as a guide for when I'm practicing Yoga on my own?
How many times a week should I do it? Everyday?
I'm 16 if that matters at all.
Old 28-08-2011, 05:23 AM
ShoonyanandaS

Hi Francesco, I'd highly recommend you find a yoga teacher or guru, someone who can guide you on your path of yoga. Yoga doesn't just consist of doing the exercises which is Hatha yoga. It also contains karma yoga, raj yoga, bhakti yoga and jnana yoga. All of which you may need a qualified yoga teacher to help you. Hope this helps you as I practise yoga too. Many blessings Swami Shoonyananda Saraswati.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:41 AM
MYFIGO

There is a nice book called "Bikram's Beginning Yoga" that you can find at Amazon. I've been using it for probably 30 years now. I tend to do my yoga for stretches of time and then get busy doing other things. But I always go back to it.

I liked it because it showed photos of people who were very limber doing the exercises correctly and then.... it showed people of all shapes and sizes doing the best they could. The point is that no matter what you look like doing it... you still get the benefits of yoga no matter what skill level you are.

If you do practice daily, you will see the most benefit as far as your ability to stretch and increase your flexibility. It should not hurt to do the yoga. Think of what it feels like when you stretch and yawn.

And there will be positions that you just hate to do... because you are not good at them. Keep trying to do them. Suddenly you will be able to do them so much better and then, they will be your "favorite".

I hope you like the yoga as much as I do! Have fun with it!