Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 18-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Stillness_Speaks

The meaning of the cross (symbolism)

First, this is not a truth or no truth post, only philosophy. I often hear christians and others talk about the cross and suffering. That J took our sin.... and so on. Some time ago I heard another explanation that fits my own beliefs better and put the focus on something else than suffering. This might be old stuff to most people but it was new to me and maybe new to someone else here. Here it goes...

The horisontal line in the cross is a symbol for our daily lives in time and space. Linear and logic. Striving. Becoming.

The vertical line is a symbol for eternity and the ever present NOW. Beyond time, space and logic. Possibilities and creativity. Unconditional love and endless joy. Being. Or if you wish, God or similar.

In the middle of the cross, this two aspects of reality meet...
Old 18-07-2014, 12:48 PM
elisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillness_Speaks
First, this is not a truth or no truth post, only philosophy. I often hear christians and others talk about the cross and suffering. That J took our sin.... and so on. Some time ago I heard another explanation that fits my own beliefs better and put the focus on something else than suffering. This might be old stuff to most people but it was new to me and maybe new to someone else here. Here it goes...

The horisontal line in the cross is a symbol for our daily lives in time and space. Linear and logic. Striving. Becoming.

The vertical line is a symbol for eternity and the ever present NOW. Beyond time, space and logic. Possibilities and creativity. Unconditional love and endless joy. Being. Or if you wish, God or similar.

do i understand this is just interpretation from a christian point of view?
Old 18-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Stillness_Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisi
do i understand this is just interpretation from a christian point of view?

I don't know because I don't remember who said it (or did I read it?) and I don't really know where it is coming from, this is a view of the cross I have myself.
Old 18-07-2014, 01:27 PM
elisi

i asked because i didn't want to get off track-just wanted to mention that the cross is a very ancient symbol. it was associated with christianity until 3 centuries after christ.
Old 25-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Ralph

Well, well congratulations might be in order here because it seems you've stumbled upon a piece of divine knowledge here. I'm very curious to know where you've heard about this.

Did you know there's also a diagonal line (which maybe can be seen in the way Jesus holds his head) which represents probably 'the Balance' of 'All'.

The 3 lines can also be described by means of the 'left', 'middle' and 'right' path .

The fact that Jesus was visited by 3 Kings can in this matter be seen as proof that he really was the Son of God because each of those Kings represented the King of 1 of the llines (there was only 1 king present at my birth which is probably the reason why things aren't completely clear to me). The 'Star' these Kings followed was 'the Light of God' and can be seen by night or by day of He so wishes.
Old 25-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Master
Quote:

Thank you for sharing this. Its an interesting point of view.
Old 25-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Master

Quote:

Hi Stillness_Speaks,

I recently found this, true to form of your OP:

"The Cross is in Yoga the symbol of the soul & nature in their strong & perfect union,
but because of our fall into the impurities of ignorance
it has become the symbol of suffering and purification."

- Sri Aurobindo

~ J
Old 25-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Master
Quote:

There are a number of different types of crosses, and one can find symbolizm in many things. Point of fact, it was the common Roman form of punishment and execution.
It is reported that it was so prolific, that when running out of wood for the making of them, the Roman military simply put a branch on a tree as a crossbeam, to continue the practice.

The proof is in the pudding, and involving hard facts. The Messiah's form of atonement on behalf of a fallen humanity was long prophesied in the old testament writings, the ordained ritual practices of animal sacrifice originates from before the Law was even given through Moses...
and the archeological find of the Dead Sea Scrolls, among others, validates the authenticity of the Old Testament texts, and also accuracy of our modern Biblical texts, as well.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 28-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Master
From Wikipedia

"Although the ancient Jewish historian Josephus, as well as other sources, refers to the crucifixion of thousands of people by the Romans..."

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 28-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Master
A psychic barrier, a Mystical Door had to be opened to a new consciousness never seen before in human history. A consciousness of oneness with God. Jesus gave us our freedom, broke our chains of the old ways and gave us a new way and he paid for it through a sacrifice. The purpose of the sacrifice was, "love conquers all things". That new mantra reveals the true nature of God and ourselves, not the egoic-unconscious false self.

I don't believe there was any merit or reason for the human race to have such an event. If you look at human history it is covered in violence, hate, murder, war, and destruction.

The human race could have slowly, ignorantly, but surely reached the Christ Consciousness as manifested in Jesus, but out of God's grace, out of divine grace itself which asks for no merit or action, gave us THAT Christ Consciousness (Son of God) in the form of Jesus so that our evolution and spirituality could be quickened and transformed.

Divine grace is something without merit, something that the Divine itself produces out of spontaneous-unconditional love.

Jesus' prophetic mission was going to include a sacrifice because the culmination of the world's wounding and attachment to the ego/false self could not bare or comprehend the consciousness of Jesus. He gave himself over to the worst thing imaginable and transformed it through his love. If God/Jesus can forgive and transform the evil they endured (the cross) then God/Jesus can forgive any offense.

Ironically the Cross has become a poetic/mystical symbol. We all have a cross to bear, the cross of others' negativity, our own negativity, or the world's in general. But we must bear the cross with the right attitude to help transform ourselves and others.

Remember Jesus didn't force a transformation unto others with his cross. You can not change anybody except yourself. And that is what he did. When he transformed his everyday egoic (Son of man) self to the universal self (Son of God), he created a chain reaction, he broke a barrier that continues to free others after him "the saints".