Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > Forum Help

Old 26-03-2012, 02:58 AM
gpGeminiMN

my reply was deleted

I just spent about a half hour typing out a reply and hit reply only to find out that I had been logged off and my whole reply was deleted. What's up with that? If I am using the site, I expect to remain logged in. Please explain what happened.
Old 26-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Rin

After some time of inactivity the server kills the connection. As typing a long reply does not generate any server-client traffic the server does not know that you are actually doing something.
For long posts, type Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, and only post then. If the connection is down you can login again, go back to the thread and just do a Ctrl-V.
or (I think)
just use the Preview Post button every 5 to 10 minutes. I don't know what the timeout period is.
Old 26-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Suspended
It's frustrating when you've spent a while typing a thoughtful reply only to have it go *poof*, isn't it?

Rin explained what happened.

If you check the 'remember me' box when logging in, I think that works too. That will certainly stop you being thrown out after a period of inactivity (so if you wander off to make a cuppa and the doorbell goes etc., etc., when you return, you should still be logged in). However, if you are typing a long post, it's always best to type it elsewhere (Notepad, Wordpad, Word) in case the site crashes. Then simply copy/paste in when you're done.
Old 26-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Master
If I type an answer that I don't want to lose I always copy it before I submit the reply. That way if anything goes wrong I have it saved. Its happened to me too many times before for me not to be careful.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 26-03-2012, 03:53 PM
gpGeminiMN

Thanks for your responses. I should remember this by now. I have had this happen on other forums, but I start a reply and don't think about how long it is taking me. Most times they are short and sweet. Sometimes I get a little carried away.
Old 26-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Experiencer
I've sometimes been able to save myself in that situation by using the browser "back" button to get back to the edit screen (after logging back in) There I can usually just hit the post button successfully or at least cut and paste.
that which is within you will destroy you."

- The Gospel of Thomas (70)

http://pathstoknowledge.com
Old 27-03-2012, 03:31 AM
DulcePoetica

Also, when this happens, it prompts you to log in and puts a log in field in the center of the screen, if you use that one and not the one in the upper right corner, you won't lose your message.
Old 27-03-2012, 03:39 AM
sesheta

Sounds like we've all had this happen enough times to learn to copy our stuff, lol!
Maybe the universe is telling us all to be "short, sweet & to the point" and stop rambling, lol! (not like that will stop us....)
Old 27-03-2012, 06:06 AM
MorningMist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpGeminiMN
I just spent about a half hour typing out a reply and hit reply only to find out that I had been logged off and my whole reply was deleted. What's up with that? If I am using the site, I expect to remain logged in. Please explain what happened.

Yup, I learned that the hard way, so now hit I cntr+c before 'submit reply', just in case it does log me out :)

MM
Old 27-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Akaalis

Yeah sometimes I copy my reply or post just it in case it doesn't go through, which happens to me alot of other forums I find.