Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 31-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwow6
Hello,how do I know what kind of witch I am or what practice to follow ??? Thank u

Read, research all the different traditions and read some more
Old 17-02-2014, 02:37 PM
MrKappa

I found an amazing entry in the wiki about holy water and witch wars.

If you ask me, both these sects held magic herbs and sacred oils as secret medicines.

From the wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_water

Quote:
In the Middle Ages the power of holy water was considered so great fonts had locked covers to prevent the theft of holy water for unauthorized magic practices: the Constitutions of Archbishop Edmund Rich (1236) prescribe that "Fonts are to be kept under lock and key, because of witchcraft (sortilegia). Similarly the chrism and sacred oil are kept locked up.".[8]

I believe there is little difference between wicca and witchcraft historically. They were a religious order as any other with advanced knowledge on how to heal the sick. In the case of wars that broke out, witches probably resorted to guerrilla warfare and espionage due to the massive armies the churches had.

I have found no examples where wiccas were involved in warfare however, so they may be a more pacifist sect by comparison.

As others may have mentioned, I believe nothing from ancient times may have survived the extermination of the witches, so if there were a religion, there most certainly will be little to no record of their order.

According to the wiki the wiccans revived around the mid 1900s. Perhaps this was an alternative expression from the modern medical establishment?
Old 20-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Master
"the extermination of the witches" ? Never happened ! You need to go further back in history to the Cunning Folk - originally tribal shaman in Europe, later tribal leaders in matters concerning healing and spirituality. They were a rural group and STILL ARE ! During the attempted "witchcraft" pogroms, they were the original target of the church but were protected by the rural communities. Many Cunning Folk infiltrated the churches as priests and used the bible as a source of incantations. They gained an undeserved reputation as the best witch-finders and turned this around to target witch-hunters. So, that's the Cunning Folk still doing what we always did ! A rural Craft at it's best.

@MrKappa. Wicca originated with Gerald Gardner in the 1950's in Britain. It was an attempt to widen the appeal of Witchcraft without using the "W" word. It has a core of Craft, surrounded by all the rituals and trappings of a religion. It did not catch on in Britain to the extent that it did in the US, mainly because British Traditional Witchcraft and the Cunning Folk have remained strong throughout.
Old 20-02-2014, 05:46 PM
MrKappa

I find that many wiccan stores carry frankincense and myrrh, along with a myriad of other healing herbals and magics.

That's the paradigm, right? Wiccans perform magics, and Christians perform miracles.

I only wonder what was in Holy water in ancient times, and where this information has been lost in history.
Old 20-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Master
Holy Water is, and always has been, ordinary H2O representing the water of the river Jordan where John the Baptist conducted baptisms.

Wiccan shops sell a whole range of merchandise for pagans which, of course, includes wiccans. This one in the UK is fairly typical
http://www.pagandreams.co.uk/.

Wicca has a core of Craft which many wiccans prefer to ignore as it suggests Witchcraft which many, in their ignorance, associate with Black Magics.

Many newcomers to spirituality begin in wicca but then soon move on to deeper ancient levels. I certainly did, finding little in wicca to hold my interest.
Wicca and it's ancient parent are both heavily involved with Nature in the broadest sense and many study herbalism and Alternative medicine.

How many christians have you met who can perform miracles ?
Old 20-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Master

[quote=norseman
Wicca has a core of Craft which many wiccans prefer to ignore as it suggests Witchcraft which many, in their ignorance, associate with Black Magics.

Many newcomers to spirituality begin in wicca but then soon move on to deeper ancient levels. I certainly did, finding little in wicca to hold my interest.
Wicca and it's ancient parent are both heavily involved with Nature in the broadest sense and many study herbalism and Alternative medicine.

How many christians have you met who can perform miracles ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree that Wicca has a core of Craft which besides ignoring - many Wiccans don't even recognize.

I started in Wicca, too, many years ago but what turned me against it was the material that was included from the Golden Dawn and other magical societies, some of which was quite Christian.
Old 21-02-2014, 12:24 AM
MrKappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Holy Water is, and always has been, ordinary H2O representing the water of the river Jordan where John the Baptist conducted baptisms.

That's possible, and the order to keep the holy water locked away, may have been to protect it from poisonings by witches. However, it is also possible it was powerful medicine of the day, and stolen for personal righteous magic/miracle/medical practice.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22288378

Quote:
2012 Apr

The additive and synergistic antimicrobial effects of select frankincense and myrrh oils--a combination from the pharaonic pharmacopoeia.

Frankincense and myrrh essential oils have been used in combination since 1500 bc; however, no antimicrobial investigations have been undertaken to confirm their effect in combination. This study validates the enhanced efficacy when used in combination against a selection of pathogens.

If only we knew what baptisms did with cleansing original sin, or illness from the poor at some point in time. I mean, in way ancient history.

Quote:
How many christians have you met who can perform miracles ?

Back in the day, probably all of them.

Nowadays they don't even prescribe anti-biotics in the same way, as pathogens are adaptive.

It is however undeniable that herbalism survives in Wicca, while in Christianity it is long forgotten, and rather mystical practice.

Many modern medicines are in fact derivatives of ancient herbs. Aspirin, and willow bark is a prime example.

Here is one for the Wiccas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNd5cZ9lbM0

Quote:
"Pennyroyal Tea"

I'm on my time with everyone
I have very bad posture

Sit and drink Pennyroyal Tea
Distill the life that's inside of me
I'm anemic royalty

Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld
So I can sigh eternally

I'm so tired I can't sleep
I'm a liar and a thief
I'm anemic royalty

I'm on warm milk and laxatives
Cherry-flavored antacids

Distill the life that's inside of me
I'm anemic royalty
Old 13-03-2014, 07:37 PM
gunswordsarecool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwow6
Hello,how do I know what kind of witch I am or what practice to follow ??? Thank u

the practice chooses you.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Knower
Quote:

So wouldn't Wicca's ancient parent be Witchcraft? I can't understand why any Wiccan would want to ignore Witchcraft? Isn't that kind of like ignoring who your ancestors were?

Very interesting discussion!!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Master

Well, ONE of Wicca's ancient parents is Witchcraft, most definitely - yes, it's like ignoring who your ancestors are.

Many Wiccans feel 'safe' I think when they follow Wicca (at least this new, modern fluffy-bunny stuff) and Witchcraft is the scary old ancestor they want to lock up in the closet, lol