Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 14-11-2019, 12:41 AM
Master
Does one environment affect/forms ones beliefs?

Hello,

Was watching a video on YouTube by Bruce Lipton.

Just stating this for reference and what inspires some thoughts. So, presenting some thoughts.

There is a premis presented in which what one comes to believe and/or believes is formed by ones environment.

These beliefs are deeply rooted with in the subconscious and one may be only aware of 5% while the other 95% lays with in the subconscious.

These subconscious held beliefs form into habits and patterns. For example "I believe I am unworthy." Not true, but if believed to be true may affect behavior that affirms this held belief. It is to me in a way self sabbataging oneself. For even if I desire to be worthy, if the set belief I am not worthy is not recongnized, brought to the conscious mind, subconsciously it will affect how I view myself, thus confirm the belief.

I find this interesting for over the years been working on bringing old habits to the surface and look at why I may or may not do things that I know and/or desire to do.

Sure it is easy to just call it fear, but what is giving rise to this? It comes to me that it has been placed in my mind long time ago and formed into a pattern/habit.

Perhaps at first was to protect the self from further trauma or hurt, but then in a way formed into a belief. That I may get hurt or unworthy.

So, these thoughts brings it back to what Bruce Lipton and I think there are others speak about when proposing that our environment forms our beliefs.

This can even go back to past lives traumas, which I find possible.

Now, to me, not all of what I or another have experienced is traumatic or give a warped view of the self. Some is quite inspiring and helps one survive. The question is: How much of ones environment affects what one may believe?

It comes off to me as recongnizing habits and patterns and understanding as best one can what formed these. For me it has and continues to better understand myself and come to peace.

If it is to use what benefits and let go of what does not, then how can this be fully done if one is not willing to go deeper.

For me it plays a big part in realizing just who I truly am.

Hope this is clear. Welcome any thoughts and insights.

Feel this plays a part in bringing understanding and self awareness. Looking at what may lie and lays underneath the surface.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Old 14-11-2019, 01:09 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Yup, I agree with that assessment. We start out with genetics and then are bathed in a life of experience, and every last bit of that experience shapes and reshapes the brain. In a word, neuroplasticity.
Old 15-11-2019, 01:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Yup, I agree with that assessment. We start out with genetics and then are bathed in a life of experience, and every last bit of that experience shapes and reshapes the brain. In a word, neuroplasticity.

Hi JustASimpleGuy,

Thank you for the response. The mind for me is amazing and how it can rearrange itself is quite interesting.

I have come across information on possible genetic influences, but when looking at environmental ( family, social, life experiences, ect.), for me find a deeper and direct relationship(s).

It bring to mind that what one think creates what one believes, but seems thoughts are influenced by so much. That I may do things without thinking about, then ask; why did I do that or react that way?

A work in progress for me and learned and continue to learn as I go along.

Thought I would share these thoughts.
Old 15-11-2019, 09:47 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
Hi JustASimpleGuy,

Thank you for the response. The mind for me is amazing and how it can rearrange itself is quite interesting.

I have come across information on possible genetic influences, but when looking at environmental ( family, social, life experiences, ect.), for me find a deeper and direct relationship(s).

It bring to mind that what one think creates what one believes, but seems thoughts are influenced by so much. That I may do things without thinking about, then ask; why did I do that or react that way?

A work in progress for me and learned and continue to learn as I go along.

Thought I would share these thoughts.

I've been intensely interested in consciousness for the last decade and I've also done my share of meditation. It's interesting when one gets to the point where emergent thought patterns that normally work below the level of attentive consciousness can be observed, and how they turn into thought trains that can potentially lead to emotional reactions.

Many of those thoughts are shaped by past experiences' impact on the neural circuitry and aren't a product of free will. They are deterministic. The brain has roughly 86 billion neurons with each one having about seven thousand synaptic connections to other neurons. That's a lot of wiring and neuroplasticity is constantly tinkering with it. What an utterly fantastic machine!

Neurons that fire together wire together and we are what we think, whether we are aware of that thinking or not. That's why it's not only actions that can't. It's not even words. It's thoughts because they precede words and words precede action.

We can either let neuroplasticity do all it's work behind the scenes and without intent or we can intentionally nudge it in a more beneficial direction.
Old 15-11-2019, 10:38 AM
Master
The "Biology of Belief" has pride of place on my bookshelf..it sits right next to "The Divine Matrix" by Gregg Braden.

There are many things that shape belief - genetics, environment, past experience, and just this deep, intrinsic "this feels totally right" vibe.

Suffice to say that it isn't just confined to one (this) lifetime.

There comes a point where belief turns into "knowing" but to those who don't know...who haven't had that experience, it is still a belief because it cannot be "proven" to be anything other than that...so most beliefs are just beliefs about beliefs...funny, isn't it?

Given certain stimuli, each brain reacts differently according to the level of self actualization either at the time or upon hindsight.

They may have been raised by parents telling them they will never amount to anything...some will get low self-esteem and carry the trauma of unworthiness all their lives...others will look at their parents stuck in dead end jobs they hate, struggling to pay the bills, in trouble with the law, getting drunk every weekend and go "your parents must have said exactly the same thing to YOU because if I am not going to amount to anything, the BEST thing I could do would be to follow the example you set for me"...I was an incorrigible teen and got beaten to a pulp for speaking my mind. Did that ever stop me? Hell no!

I am still painfully shy in social settings though...you wouldn't think it by the way I carry on here...call it "overcompensating". =)
Old 15-11-2019, 12:20 PM
JustASimpleGuy

I haven't read "Biology of Belief" but I am familiar with the concept of epigenetics and the mind-body connection. How stress and other negative affective states induce inflammatory gene expression. Then there's also telomeres that degrade more quickly under stress.

So yeah, thoughts are incredibly powerful, both to the negative and positive, and not just to our external interactions but also to our internal interactions at the cellular level.

That's what gave me incentive early on to meditate and to pick it back up when I let it fall by the wayside.

More recently I began looking into the work of David Sinclair, NAD+, mitochondria and mitochondrial-encoded genes. I started a combination of Resveratrol and NMN about a month ago and also cold therapy, though not as extreme as Wim Hof.
Old 15-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
I haven't read "Biology of Belief" but I am familiar with the concept of epigenetics and the mind-body connection. How stress and other negative affective states induce inflammatory gene expression. Then there's also telomeres that degrade more quickly under stress.

So yeah, thoughts are incredibly powerful, both to the negative and positive, and not just to our external interactions but also to our internal interactions at the cellular level.

That's what gave me incentive early on to meditate and to pick it back up when I let it fall by the wayside.

More recently I began looking into the work of David Sinclair, NAD+, mitochondria and mitochondrial-encoded genes. I started a combination of Resveratrol and NMN about a month ago and also cold therapy, though not as extreme as Wim Hof.
Have you ever heard of Dan Winter?

He introduced me to all of that a few years ago..lemme see if I can find a good video for you..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx35q-zJRk

I also like the Mindvalley talks on biohacking and noortropics...I watched a good one last week by Ben Greenfield:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ccaKmoSfM&t=2681s

This will keep you busy.
Old 15-11-2019, 01:08 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Have you ever heard of Dan Winter?

He introduced me to all of that a few years ago..lemme see if I can find a good video for you..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx35q-zJRk

I also like the Mindvalley talks on biohacking and noortropics...I watched a good one last week by Ben Greenfield:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ccaKmoSfM&t=2681s

This will keep you busy.

I'm vaguely familiar with the cardiac plexus and other nerve bundles throughout the body and the role of the vagus nerve. That's one of the reasons I chose calm abiding as my original meditation technique and still stick with it. I'm also thinking loving-kindness is very beneficial to strengthening the heart plexus-vagus nerve-brain channel and I'm starting to mix it in to my repertoire.

I took a quick peak at the Dan Winter video and it looks very interesting. Thanks! Right now I have to log in and do some work so the full video will have to wait for the weekend.

And yes, I already stumbled across Mindvalley Talks and that very video.
Old 15-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
The "Biology of Belief" has pride of place on my bookshelf..it sits right next to "The Divine Matrix" by Gregg Braden.
I know, right? Both of them.
Ha, also Catherine Pert's, "Molecules of Emotion: Why You Feel the Way You Feel" and
"Your Body Is Your Subconscious Mind"--researcher of brain chemistry extraordinaire, RIP.
Youtubes available explaining it all - Dr. Joe Dispenza, Joseph Murphy...
actually googling -"Effects of the subconscious mind youtubes', gets you a great list.

Was wondering, Moonglow, if you had seen "What the #?!Bleep?", movie.

Since I have re-programmed my subconscious mind from old beliefs my
life is quite wonderful!

My 'thing' is belief is the most powerful thing in the Universe.
The thing is we may believe something ,
"I am the most qualified person for this job, I would fit so well in that company!!"
YET, in our silent subconscious mind's programming from childhood,
it believes, "You'll never get such a great job"...and thus, you don't.
Also, "Money doesn't grow on trees - You're always screwing up. You can't do anything right. You're just like your father,
fill in the word.
Life is hard..." Oh brother.

I hang out a lot in the Affirmations and Manifesting, Law of Attraction section here.
The power we have to re-program our core beliefs is amazing.
Life changing.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 15-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I know, right? Both of them.
Ha, also Catherine Pert's, "Molecules of Emotion: Why You Feel the Way You Feel" and
"Your Body Is Your Subconscious Mind"--researcher of brain chemistry extraordinaire, RIP.
Youtubes available explaining it all - Dr. Joe Dispenza, Joseph Murphy...
actually googling -"Effects of the subconscious mind youtubes', gets you a great list.

Was wondering, Moonglow, if you had seen "What the #?!Bleep?", movie.

Since I have re-programmed my subconscious mind from old beliefs my
life is quite wonderful!

My 'thing' is belief is the most powerful thing in the Universe.
The thing is we may believe something ,
"I am the most qualified person for this job, I would fit so well in that company!!"
YET, in our silent subconscious mind's programming from childhood,
it believes, "You'll never get such a great job"...and thus, you don't.
Also, "Money doesn't grow on trees - You're always screwing up. You can't do anything right. You're just like your father,
fill in the word.
Life is hard..." Oh brother.

I hang out a lot in the Affirmations and Manifesting, Law of Attraction section here.
The power we have to re-program our core beliefs is amazing.
Life changing.
thanks miss.h

I haven't read anything by Catherine Pert...must do so and thanks for the recommendation.

Having said that...I watched the 2017 conference on Consciousness and Human Evolution last year and it was awesome when Bruce Lipton, Gregg Braden and Dr Joe Dispenza got together to become the "Three Amigos"...it was the highlight of the event..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P_FIYwg2oU4

@ Simple Guy - great minds think alike...and watch the same YouTube videos. Lol