Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 19-02-2019, 06:09 PM
mindanalyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Baptism, for an adult, is an outward declaration of faith in Jesus Christ, to the world.
Also "solidifying" one's faith to oneself.

What do you mean you "Believe" you are baptised?

What I mean by "believe" is basically that I believe that what was done (water baptism but unfortunately not fully immersed) plus my faith in God and Jesus is enough to be saved. The priest explained to me that doing the water baptism without the prior sacraments is worthless, which I cannot disagree more

Last edited by mindanalyzer : 19-02-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 19-02-2019, 08:41 PM
ImthatIm

In the Greek sense of the word baptism it is to be fully immersed in water as in the dying of a cloth and be stained.

Eph. 4:5
One Lord, one faith, one baptism.

In 9 yrs. from now you may say the same thing as you grow." I did't believe then what I believe now" And become unsure.

Be assured you were stained. Baptized in the likeness of His death.
Old 23-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Deactivated Account

You don't have to re-baptize yourself. Baptism in Water never expires. Now your aim is to be Baptized by the Holy Ghost & Fire, then you will be truly transformed, and will never leave the Way again.
Old 24-02-2019, 07:41 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
I was recently baptized in the Jordan River (Baptism site) during a 10 days pilgrimage in the holy land. It was done by a catholic priest. We spoke in secret and agreed that he would baptized me and then I would have to receive the sacraments afterwards (not technically correct according to him but it was to be our secret).
Well, this was truly my intention but I went to the first meeting for the sacraments and did not feel it at all and decided that it was not for me, or at least for the time being ... I kind of felt bad for the priest but I need to feel at peace with whatever decision I make

When I think about, being totally honest, I belief that I am already baptized in the name of the Father, of the Son and the holy spirit.

What is your take?

You had better go quickly to the doctor.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-river-jordan
Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Pathfinder
I haven't read it in a while, but from memory when Jesus was baptized there was a real change in him, the Holy Spirit entered him IIRC. This tells me that baptism is more than just an external expression of internal change(which really is a big part of it). With that in consideration, what do you think OP? I don't think Jesus cares very much since you're on his side of things but if you feel like it would help you grow closer, re-baptism may not be a bad idea.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Master
And then...

There are those, such as the Lutherans, who believe infant baptism is enough.
That, the reason you came to Christ in faith has to do with your dedication to the Lord by your parents, and that even if you have erred and gone wayward in your life, without faith, you will be forgiven.
That, if you've been baptised as an infant, adult baptism isn't necessary.

That's a bit extreme. Seems to me one must also acknowledge, in their adulthood, the work of Christ on their behalf, and believe.
It's what the Bible says also, no?

Then... people involved with The Church of Christ emphasize adult baptism, citing all the scriptures about it. But, they of course don't acknowledge that in Biblical times, no one was being baptised as an infant in Jesus name, either. So, if you have come to faith in Jesus, and are repentant of your sins, do you still need to be baptised as an adult if you have been baptised as an infant?
Lutherans will tell you no.
Also, I believe Catholics will also say no.

Concerning feelings, again, feelings follow understanding of the facts, and have little to do with it.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 02-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Master
Baptism is just another ritual carried forward from Judaism and adapted to fit Christianity.

" In first-century Judaism, baptism had a different meaning. In the book of Leviticus, God instructs Jews to cleanse themselves from ritual impurities, contracted through such acts as touching a corpse or a leper. Washing primarily fulfilled the legal requirements of ritual purity so that Jews could sacrifice at the Temple. Later, as "God-fearers" or "righteous" Gentiles expressed their desire to convert to Judaism, priests broadened the rite's meaning, and along with circumcision, performed baptism as a sign of the covenant given to Abraham. "