Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 19-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Guide
The Completion Process

I've recently ordered The Completion Process by Teal Swan to attempt to heal trauma/PTSD. Does anyone have this book / tried the process?

Patrycia
Old 19-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Master

I haven't read it but apparently it's uses Inner Child Therapy which is good. There are many different methods for dealing with PTSD, you just have to see what's out there and find what works best for you. Some current effective methods for PTSD are EMDR and Somatic Experiencing. Some methods used in the past that are not considered effective today for PTSD are talk-therapy, exposure therapy and CBT.

I use a combination of EMDR, Somatic Experiencing and IFS (similar to Inner Child) with a therapist. Best not to try to do these things all alone, isolation is not very condusive to healing. Another good thing to look into if it fits is Complex PTSD, which is worse than incident specific PTSD (think soldiers, car accidents, etc), because Complex PTSD (CPTSD) is the result of prolonged trauma and often from childhood, which may be sexual abuse, emotional neglect, physical abuse, etc. The least understood and by far the most damaging is the emotional neglect or abuse. It can happen if the parent has a mental illness, is traumatized, depressed, is alcoholic, stressed by the environment, etc. CPTSD can be a more helpful diagnosis if it fits because it can lead to more effective therapies.

People who unknowingly have CPTSD often unconsciously gravitate towards abuse and trauma in life, and sometimes will seek help for PTSD because of specific events, but don't address the underlying trauma from childhood which is the cause. Now that the world is starting to recognize developmental trauma and CPTSD though, people are starting to get the help they need.
Old 19-01-2018, 10:54 PM
Experiencer

I have not read her stuff. I have only seen her youtube channel and one article she wrote. I remember liking things she said in her videos, but she didn't stick with me a long time.

Let us know what the book is like. :)
Old 20-01-2018, 09:20 AM
Guide
Many thanks, Seawolf, for your detailed response. Re ‘seeing what is out there and finding what works for you’ has been a 12 year long journey which has got me no where (apart from relieving me of a great deal of cash). The actual trauma was one which went on for a couple of months, culminating in four days of indescribable fear and this was in my adult life, not childhood. The experience left me with two physical symptoms. So far I have been focusing on physical healing modalities such as cranio sacral therapy, acupuncture, homeopathy, flower essences, reiki, EFT, Tapas Acupressure and recently bowen therapy. None of them have made the slightest impact. So working with the inner child c/o this book will be a new angle and I'm quite happy to work alone, prefer it this way as I'm an extreme introvert and it also has the benefit of not costing me anything.
Old 20-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrycia-Rose
Many thanks, Seawolf, for your detailed response. Re ‘seeing what is out there and finding what works for you’ has been a 12 year long journey which has got me no where (apart from relieving me of a great deal of cash). The actual trauma was one which went on for a couple of months, culminating in four days of indescribable fear and this was in my adult life, not childhood. The experience left me with two physical symptoms. So far I have been focusing on physical healing modalities such as cranio sacral therapy, acupuncture, homeopathy, flower essences, reiki, EFT, Tapas Acupressure and recently bowen therapy. None of them have made the slightest impact. So working with the inner child c/o this book will be a new angle and I'm quite happy to work alone, prefer it this way as I'm an extreme introvert and it also has the benefit of not costing me anything.
I'm sorry to hear you haven't had any luck. Your trauma may be complex as it went on for so long. CPTSD is not just about childhood trauma, it's about prolonged trauma including if it just happened in adulthood. EMDR and Somatic Experiencing, and a few others I'm not as familiar with, are currently the most effective treatments for PTSD. I highly suggest finding an experienced trauma therapist who is familiar with current treatments and doesn't use the old ones like the few I mentioned before. If you haven't read it yet, The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk is an important work on trauma healing today. Also I've found a very powerful treatment for PTSD symptoms in Kundalini Yoga at sacredtherapies.com. I've gotten quite a bit of relief from it.

I've experienced complex trauma as it went on all my life until a couple of years ago, and out of desperation sought things that really work because for a long time I've been basically unable to do anything, and have experienced nonstop flashbacks/nightmares but I'm now starting to get better. That's why I like Bessel because he is only interested in treatments that work. Peter Levine's Somatic Experiencing is also showing to be very effective for PTSD. EMDR is also a miracle for many people, even though no one knows exactly why it works, but some have experienced relief after just a few treatments. There's also Neurofeedback. Bessel goes over these current effective treatments in his book. If you did not experience childhood trauma, there's quite a bit of hope for your recovery, because that makes it much more difficult to recover. I hope this helps and that you find some relief soon.
Old 20-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Master
I haven't read the books of the author mentioned in the original post but i've heard many people giving warning about this author. It's a theme which has been often discussed recently. From what i heard, and the all information on the web, one should use discernment and be cautious.
What i hear many times from folks who say they trust their intuition, is the gut feeling of danger when looking at her video. Unfortunately the new age field isn't free from deceivers yet.
Old 20-01-2018, 02:57 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingsun
I haven't read the books of the author mentioned in the original post but i've heard many people giving warning about this author. It's a theme which has been often discussed recently. From what i heard, and the all information on the web, one should use discernment and be cautious.

Which is probably why she didn't stick with me long. Yes, always use discernment when hearing anything.
Old 21-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I'm sorry to hear you haven't had any luck. Your trauma may be complex as it went on for so long. CPTSD is not just about childhood trauma, it's about prolonged trauma including if it just happened in adulthood. EMDR and Somatic Experiencing, and a few others I'm not as familiar with, are currently the most effective treatments for PTSD. I highly suggest finding an experienced trauma therapist who is familiar with current treatments and doesn't use the old ones like the few I mentioned before. If you haven't read it yet, The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk is an important work on trauma healing today. Also I've found a very powerful treatment for PTSD symptoms in Kundalini Yoga at sacredtherapies.com. I've gotten quite a bit of relief from it.

I've experienced complex trauma as it went on all my life until a couple of years ago, and out of desperation sought things that really work because for a long time I've been basically unable to do anything, and have experienced nonstop flashbacks/nightmares but I'm now starting to get better. That's why I like Bessel because he is only interested in treatments that work. Peter Levine's Somatic Experiencing is also showing to be very effective for PTSD. EMDR is also a miracle for many people, even though no one knows exactly why it works, but some have experienced relief after just a few treatments. There's also Neurofeedback. Bessel goes over these current effective treatments in his book. If you did not experience childhood trauma, there's quite a bit of hope for your recovery, because that makes it much more difficult to recover. I hope this helps and that you find some relief soon.

Thank you, Seawolf. You know, just someone acknowledging I haven’t had luck on my side, so far, is validation and helpful. Yes, I do think I have complex PTSD (I was also told this by a medium). The thing is I don’t have some of the usual symptoms; I don’t get flashbacks and I don’t get nightmares. What I did get was extreme anger when I thought about it (there’s a nice hole in my bedroom which I’ve still to repair). What helped to lower that anger was EFT, mind you it took years.

I have heard of both EMDR and SE. EMDR is similar to EFT and the gamut procedure. Unfortunately, I live in a rural location and I don’t have any SE practitioners in my area. The book you mentioned, ‘the body keeps the score’ is actually what led me to find the Completion Process because in the reviews for the former book, someone said that although it describes the various approaches to PTSD, it doesn’t tell you how to do this for yourself and someone said The Completion Process does that, so that’s why I ordered it.

Also, I remember researching the vagal theory about a year ago and that the sympathetic and para sympathetic systems need re-balancing which led me to Bowen therapy. I had about five sessions and I’m still, I believe, processing this.

Patrycia
Old 21-01-2018, 09:12 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingsun
What i hear many times from folks who say they trust their intuition, is the gut feeling of danger when looking at her video. Unfortunately the new age field isn't free from deceivers yet.

SmilingSun: thanks, yes I have seen a few references to the book/her theories being dangerous. Interestingly, one article was taking bits of Teal’s approach and dismissing them, such as her saying that we choose our parents before we incarnate and various spiritual beliefs and I have no problem with this as that’s what I know anyway. Also, she was criticised for having not academic qualifications. I know she went through some trauma herself, I don’t know the specifics, but in my mind, that’s her qualifications.

Anyway, I’ll read what she has to say and see if it resonates and take it from there.

Patrycia
Old 21-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrycia-Rose
Thank you, Seawolf. You know, just someone acknowledging I haven’t had luck on my side, so far, is validation and helpful. Yes, I do think I have complex PTSD (I was also told this by a medium). The thing is I don’t have some of the usual symptoms; I don’t get flashbacks and I don’t get nightmares. What I did get was extreme anger when I thought about it (there’s a nice hole in my bedroom which I’ve still to repair). What helped to lower that anger was EFT, mind you it took years.

I have heard of both EMDR and SE. EMDR is similar to EFT and the gamut procedure. Unfortunately, I live in a rural location and I don’t have any SE practitioners in my area. The book you mentioned, ‘the body keeps the score’ is actually what led me to find the Completion Process because in the reviews for the former book, someone said that although it describes the various approaches to PTSD, it doesn’t tell you how to do this for yourself and someone said The Completion Process does that, so that’s why I ordered it.

Also, I remember researching the vagal theory about a year ago and that the sympathetic and para sympathetic systems need re-balancing which led me to Bowen therapy. I had about five sessions and I’m still, I believe, processing this.

Patrycia
That's a tough thing to not have many trauma therapists in your area. You might try a book called Self-Therapy that does the IFS therapy mentioned in Body Keeps Score and you can do it alone, though it might help to have some support with it even if it's through Skype or something.

CPTSD flashbacks are not necessarily the typical kind you'd think of like a soldier having, but they're called Emotional flashbacks and might be hard to recognize at first. Pete Walker's 'CPTSD: From Surviving to Thriving' is another important book and has helped alot of people. For support you can also go to https://www.reddit.com/r/cptsd lots of good people there at various stages of recovery.

We do need lots of validation, I thinks really important for us. That's tough to have tried so much and still suffer. Congratulations on not giving up and keeping going. I have a long way to go myself and also might try Holotropic Breathwork, it does deep processing and is getting more popular so might not be as hard to find a qualified practitioner. I'm interested in checking out those things you mentioned as well. I'm always open to new stuff that can help.