Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Past Lives & Reincarnation

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Seeker

What happens to a soul that fails to fulfill its purpose here?

Is there any way for spiritual growth to continue if the souls purpose isn't actualized? Is the ego identity somehow disconnected from the soul, leaving behind what is essentially a hollow shell (and an individual that is depraved in some way)? All responses are welcome, but ideally I'd like to hear from someone who is responding experientially rather than just theoretically (i.e. a clairvoyant/psychic etc.)

Thanks,
Travis
Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Guide

Radar, fully actualizing your soul's purpose would be akin to becoming "fully enlightened". In other words, peope often have the misconception that you all of a sudden find enlightenment, or you are "saved" or your purpose is completed like a homework assignment or something. Every single human is by some degree enlightened and every single human on some level is fulfilling their purpose. It is an ongoing process that takes eons, maybe longer :)
I guarantee you that you will not fully actualize your soul's purpose in your current lifetime. However, it is more likely that you will more fully realize and express your soul's purpose as you go, one step at a time. One lifetime at a time.

Your spiritual growth will continue UNTIL your soul's purpose is fully realized.

Chadley.

Last edited by chadley : 10-12-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley
Radar, fully actualizing your soul's purpose would be akin to becoming "fully enlightened". In other words, peope often have the misconception that you all of a sudden find enlightenment, or you are "saved" or your purpose is completed like a homework assignment or something. Every single human is by some degree enlightened and every single human on some level is fulfilling their purpose. It is an ongoing process that takes eons, maybe longer :)

I'm not talking about realizing soul purpose on an ultimate level -- which I agree could only culminate in enlightenment -- but rather the soul's intentions for a particular lifetime. Maybe a good way to put it would be the act of "selling out" on one's spiritual path -- what repurcussions would this have in terms of that individual's spiritual evolution? As far as your assertion that every human being is on some level fulfilling their purpose, I agree, but I do think that it would be possible for a soul to spend a potentially very long period of time, lifetimes even, in a state of relative stagnation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley
I guarantee you that you will not fully actualize your soul's purpose in your current lifetime.

I don't think there's any way for any human being -- enlightened or otherwise -- to "guarantee" that about anyone.

Travis
Old 10-12-2006, 05:20 PM
tiltjlp

Personally I don't see souls stagnating, rather they evolve slowly. I feel the goal of our souls is to learn lessons based both on our past life memories, and our human experiences. In that way we grow both personally and spiritually. Everything else seems to be window dressing, or merely other paths to that goal.

I'm not at all discounting anyone's beliefs here, we all have to make our journey our way. But as I've gotten older, I've wondered if it's not a lot simpler than most of us think it is. While I could be wrong, I think I've made a lot of personal and spiritual progress in my 60 years, and when the time comes for me to reincarnate, I only hope I'm right, so I can continue evolving.

John
Old 10-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Guide

Travis, this is a great subject. Before we get too into it, because, this is quite a can of worms you are opening, I might suggest that you check out the thread I started on this topic under spiritual development/what is your purpose. You might find some useful things in there.

Couple things first. Sure, you are right, I can't guarantee that you will not fully realize your purpose or for that matter, at some point, just burst into a brilliant flame of white light at some point in this current lifetime. In fact, I would even claim myself that i am well on my way to allowing my individual lifetime purpose to unfold. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I completely understand what you are talking about when you are speaking of your individual purpose in this lifetime, as you may discover after reading the above thread.

You ask, "what repurcussions would this have in terms of that individual's spiritual evolution?" Well, this is an easy one, because you are living in the reprecussions of all that is not harmonious with your divine intent right now. Every single consequence, reprecussion, and discomfort in your life is in your life for a precise reason, to show you where you are not in line with your purpose.

Chadley.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:35 AM
Enlightener

When evolving there are no negative repercussions if you "fail" to achieve your current goal. If you do not fulfill your "destiny" you do not get punished or anyhting like that you simply start over, you start a new life with possibly the same "lessons" that you needed to learn but failed to learn in the previous lifetime. Though I should say that life is not a school and you are not here to learn lessons you are simply here to evolve and experience the divine.
Also; you ARE your soul, you are not your body or your mind, you are your soul. Thus you can never be 'disconnected' from God in any way, it is just not possible.
If the soul's purpose isn't actualised in a lifetime, even after many lifetimes of fine-tuning, then the soul will simply return to the physical to come to an awareness of it's 'purpose', it will take as long as it wants to and chooses to take to fulfill this purpose.
This is why Jesus visited Earth, to remind us of our purpose so that we would not be lost in the hell that is non-actualisation. That is what he meant when he said the word hell; he did not mean an acutal place where you are in everlasting torment, what purpose would God have in that?
Though you can never become lost in the hell of non-realisation forever, for God is there with you in every moment, holding out It's hand, guiding you back home.
It is your deepest desire to return home, even if you do not even know it yet, thus you WILL return home one day.

Enlightener
Old 12-12-2006, 02:01 AM
GoldChord

Radareyes,

I agree with Enlightener whole-heartedly. It is also important to remember that (I believe) there is no time limit for growth. The divine is infinite. We can take as long as we need to evolve - to make the right choices. That is the beauty about free will. We can choose as you put it to 'stagnate' - though I agree with tiltjlp - I do not believe souls ever stagnate - they just need more assistance. Remember the story about God and the footprints in the sand? The person walking with God looks back and seeing only one set of footprints asks God why he abandoned him during the struggle/hard times. God says 'I never abandoned you - I was carrying you'. This is what God is doing for us - he is carrying us and waiting for us to make the choices that will allow him to put us down so he can walk beside us and we can know him/her in his/her true glory and thereby experience ourselves in the same light.

Take care.
Old 13-12-2006, 02:46 PM
eternity

Radareyes,
If a soul does not as you say fulfill its purpose here then it will go back to the astral plane and be able to have more teaching.
There are many fine teachers on each plane to help the advancing soul to its final purpose.
Light and grace.
Eternity.
Old 19-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Master
It's been said by others that before you are born you make a guideline or a goal. Because you have free will in the life you are born to, the choices you make affect how you reach your goal. should you fail to complete the goal you set out before you came here, you get to try again in the next life. You can choose what you need to learn and what you need to give. Life lessons are simply that - life lessons for your soul. You can also choose when you are done as well.

enlightener said it well, as did gold chord. we learn at our own pace.
Old 21-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Glorymist

radareyes - -

Soul is a being that is truly beyond matter / energy / space / and time. Yet Soul uses these as "tools" to discover and understand Itself thru experience. Thru reincarnation and karma - - Soul can literally take "forever" to figure all of this out. There is no time limit. What we do not "learn" at one time will be learned at another - - under similar situations tho perhaps under differing circumstances.

This understanding / growth will continue forever - - even after Soul truly does know Itself on Its own (Soul) level - - beyond the realm of matter / energy / space / time - - or perhaps put another way - - mind / emotions / physical body.

Ego - - is *not* an actual or viable aspect of Soul Itself - - any way one wishes to look at it. The "essence" of all mental and emotion awareness is carried from one lifetime to the next. Both basic and learned ego would be a part of that.

Try to understand that each lifetime is set up as a number of options or possibilities. Soul can the work with them or against them within each incarnation. Free will applies to many levels of life.

Glory
Closed Thread