Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 26-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Knower

Shaivism and Vaishnaism

As unbelievable as it sounds google was unsatisfiable in answering what the difference is between the two.

What is the difference in the beliefs/principles/lifestyle?
Old 27-01-2019, 12:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamind
As unbelievable as it sounds google was unsatisfiable in answering what the difference is between the two.

What is the difference in the beliefs/principles/lifestyle?
Namaste.

In terms of similarities, there are no differences and in terms of differences, there are no similarities.

It also depends upon the multitude of schools of thought and practices under each banner...and this is why it is very difficult to arrive at any satisfactory explanation.

The way that I personally see it (which is NOT up for discussion or debate here) is that Vaishnavism is more of an "Upper Class/ Caste" sectarian movent that has a lot of rules and regulations, placing more emphasis on the "right ways" or the "correct codes of conduct" and is based upon all the Epic Canons of Hindu historical literature, like the Ramayana, Mahabharata and the Bhagavad-Gita.

On the other hand and in contrast, Shaivism is more of an esoteric or "left hand path". The rules and conduct for living is slightly (to greatly) more relaxed than the Vaishnava sects and instead of making the main focus about Dharma and the recitation of certain mantras, Shaivism focuses more on meditation, Yoga, introspection and ritual..The texts for Shaivism tends to be more ancient..The Agamas, the Tantras, the Shiva Sutras and the Upanishads written during Yajur Veda.

You could say that Vaishnavism is more of an "external path to God", while Shaivism is more an "internal path to God" and then, some smart dude decided to get them together, create HariHara..give it a son called Ayappan..So humans could have the best of BOTH worlds. :P

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 27-01-2019, 01:12 AM
Knower

Thank you for putting forth the consideration to explain. :P

Having turned more to Shaivism in recent years due to Bhagwan Sri Nithyananda Paramashivam I can relate.

I feel you've put it well.
Old 27-01-2019, 01:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamind
Thank you for putting forth the consideration to explain. :P

Having turned more to Shaivism in recent years due to Bhagwan Sri Nithyananda Paramashivam I can relate.

I feel you've put it well.
Thank you kindly also and you are very welcome. Peace

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 30-01-2019, 03:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.

In terms of similarities, there are no differences and in terms of differences, there are no similarities.

It also depends upon the multitude of schools of thought and practices under each banner...and this is why it is very difficult to arrive at any satisfactory explanation.

The way that I personally see it (which is NOT up for discussion or debate here) is that Vaishnavism is more of an "Upper Class/ Caste" sectarian movent that has a lot of rules and regulations, placing more emphasis on the "right ways" or the "correct codes of conduct" and is based upon all the Epic Canons of Hindu historical literature, like the Ramayana, Mahabharata and the Bhagavad-Gita.

On the other hand and in contrast, Shaivism is more of an esoteric or "left hand path". The rules and conduct for living is slightly (to greatly) more relaxed than the Vaishnava sects and instead of making the main focus about Dharma and the recitation of certain mantras, Shaivism focuses more on meditation, Yoga, introspection and ritual..The texts for Shaivism tends to be more ancient..The Agamas, the Tantras, the Shiva Sutras and the Upanishads written during Yajur Veda.

You could say that Vaishnavism is more of an "external path to God", while Shaivism is more an "internal path to God" and then, some smart dude decided to get them together, create HariHara..give it a son called Ayappan..So humans could have the best of BOTH worlds. :P

Aum Namah Shivaya

I'm not generally into the differences/similarities between different religious systems. However, I really enjoy your informative, intelligent, illuminating posts about matters such as these.

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us !
Old 30-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I'm not generally into the differences/similarities between different religious systems. However, I really enjoy your informative, intelligent, illuminating posts about matters such as these.

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us !
Namaste.

Thanking you kindly.

It has just taken me a while to realise that the Hindu Forum is pretty much where I belong on SF and nowhere else.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 30-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Guide

Quote:
Namaste.

Aum Namah Shivaya

I pretty much agree with all this. Hinduism is just so vast it's really hard to pinpoint stuff. South Indian Vaishnavish (Sri Vaishnavism) and Saiva Siddhanta (Tamil Saivism) appear quite similar from the outside. Only if you ask questions do you get to know the differences. I would just add that most 'village Hindus' don't really care, they just go to temple wherever and pray. Only the searchers or scholars encounter the differences. But for searchers, I would always recommend going to way more than one temple, to get a sense of the variety.
Old 31-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Namaste.

Thanking you kindly.

It has just taken me a while to realise that the Hindu Forum is pretty much where I belong on SF and nowhere else.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Your insights and input relevant to Hinduism are indeed quite illuminating.

Om Namah Shivay !
Old 01-02-2019, 10:03 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Namaste.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Illuminating ! I hope your post would patch up the difference.