Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 13-07-2020, 08:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Yup... 6 hours a day to sleep and eat. Then even less with 4 hours a day for sleeping and eating. Insomnia and little sleep are known to lead to hallucinations and poor mental health. No surprises here. I bet he didn't grow any food there either, didn't hunt either. So what did he eat all this time? People brought food? But then it's a ''secret grotto''...

Alternatively, Yogananda is just talking out of his bottom or believes the ramblings of an isolated man that no longer knows what he is saying.

When you enter these highly conscious states, your energy requirements go down. I used to eat 2500-3000 calories a day but feel full off 1600-2100 now.

I also used to sleep 9 hours a day ish. I now wake up after 5-7 depending on the week and my energy.

If I did not have to move or expend energy, I suspect I could go on less.

Based on what I have experienced, without a teacher, and with little training, leads me to believe that these "tales" are based in reality. These tales we here are not madness, they are the upper limit of what the human body and mind is capable of. I can only imagine if I continued training for the length of time they have been training that i would have some amazing gifts by then too.
Old 13-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Actually, food is not necessary for humans - there are many accounts of people who have lived for years without eating. There are alternative sources of energy to keep the physical body alive.

Our potential as human beings is astounding, and these isolated yogis have developed such potential way beyond ordinary understanding. You may judge them according to your limited viewpoint, but you are simply dismissing that which is beyond your comprehension.

Peace

Yes I am learning this now. I am on my 21st day of a 42 day fast and most of the things I used to identify as food cravings were actually impulses to avoid suffering and the like.

Also, the longer you go without food, the more you realize you can get substance from other things. People can eat energy, most just dont know how to.
Old 13-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
While there is large section of people in India (in absolute numbers) who are more impressed with fasting and do fasting (some even longer than 100 days in a row) , I personally believe eating in moderate is more difficult then total fasting. It is also true some resort to all these as attention catching behaviour which is not good for them only spiritually .

For me remaining energetic and enthusiastic also is part of real spirituality and that can happen only with nutritious balanced diet and exercise. For a foody person , fasting periodically definitely serves well. If I remember Japanese and some other scientist got Nobel prize for their research work in finding that periodic fasting/starving kills cancerous cells last year.

yes I read of Jani. he is definitely a saddhu with an exceptional physiology.

he is probably in a state of adapted starvation, which is how he can go without food. Although it does come as a mystery to me how he can go so long without food.

I think if you are very talented, you can perhaps lower your energy requirements to perhaps 10-100 calories a day. However this requires that you basically are in a state of deep concentration and relaxation for the entire time. I think if you did that, you could maybe lose 1lb of fat a year.

even then, it just seems so crazy that someone could do that for 40 years which is his claim.

also, I would not be interested in such a state. As one would basically live an incredibly restricted life and be forced to live internally with very little external activity. It does make me wonder what the appeal of the state is, as obviously jani has enjoyed it for so long. Perhaps it truly does bring him close to his god.
Old 13-07-2020, 09:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivatar

Also, the longer you go without food, the more you realize you can get substance from other things. People can eat energy, most just dont know how to.
Your body is in ketosis, it eats its own fat reserves.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 14-07-2020, 01:19 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivatar
Yes I am learning this now. I am on my 21st day of a 42 day fast and most of the things I used to identify as food cravings were actually impulses to avoid suffering and the like.

Very good. It is a while since I did an extended fast, but I found that after the first three days I was not particularly hungry. However, I did find myself craving certain flavours. This was not a desire to eat food, more of a desire to experience various taste sensations.

Enjoy the rest of your fast.

Peace
Old 14-07-2020, 02:49 AM
Knower

I once wrote "but every warrior knows that the road less traveled, is more than often, traveled alone"

this is still true. and at one point I thought it meant I would always be alone and often that I would feel lonely too.
the man meditating in the mountains is not lonely. he is with God. that is the least lonely place in existence.
I'm not saying you haven't found your inspiration source or that you're not spiritual. spirituality has many ways of manifesting and its a long journey we keep on until ever after, depending on your beliefs..

stay the course. meditate, believe, love, your self and others, find your strength and then soften yourself, and find your rawness and make it harder.. so on and so forth.. its a pull and push journey, and bit by bit, loneliness subsides, and aloneness becomes more and more fulfilling.
I love my friends, I love that they call and come over, I also love it when they leave. tonight I even kicked them out. I wanted to read and journal before bed, and I decided that was more important than being polite.
less and less I'm lonely. more and more I love to be alone.

when you're feeling lonely its because you've forgotten that you're loved.
count the people and things who love you, remember they are real, and feel them present within you.

salam