Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 16-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
Very good point.
Here's the point and the difference Debrah: I don't use the self-knowledge of my conscious and awake state to "choose battles," and "crack the whip," and "push for radical change." I use that self-knowledge to consciously shape my diet, and grow my own food, and live my life in harmony with my surroundings. But people who make a show of judging what others do? Who would have others change their way of being in the world? Yes, you had better be very careful about projecting upon others, what you know and think you know, so as not to abuse your self-knowledge and power and wisdom.

As for "how little I know" and concerning this topic specifically: I am far ahead of the average person with regards to my conscious awareness of the ecological footprint I leave on this earth. And I am proud of that. But not so proud as to have to start a thread about it. Notice how I wasn't the one who started this "hot topic" thread. And I never would. I never would start a thread with claims about "blatant injustice" and "REAL human injustice." Because I also have the self-knowledge and consciousness awareness to know where these hot-topic-type threads always lead. Or this: "Even with absolute proof..." Neither would I start a thread to announce my "absolute" truth to the world. Because I'm not here to shove my advanced awareness of these issues down others' throats. I simply apply that knowledge and awareness to my own personal world, and live it.

It's all about what you do, with what you know.

Last edited by Baile : 16-05-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 16-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexi-Girl
I am careful not to call myself more of anything. Life has a way of showing me how little I know.
I appreciate the humility but again it's not something one needs to be self-effacing about. Unless of course they abuse that awareness. Because knowledge is power, and that power can be abused. Here's what I could agree with: The more awake you are, the more advanced your knowledge, the better it is to keep quiet so as to avoid: 1. offending those who are still sleeping; and 2. being seen as a know-it-all.
Old 16-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Here's the point and the difference Debrah: I don't use the self-knowledge of my conscious and awake state to "choose battles," and "crack the whip," and "push for radical change." I use that self-knowledge to consciously shape my diet, and grow my own food, and live my life in harmony with my surroundings. But people who make a show of judging what others do? Who would have others change their way of being in the world? Yes, you had better be very careful about projecting upon others, what you know and think you know, so as not to abuse your self-knowledge and power and wisdom.

As for "how little I know" and concerning this topic specifically: I am far ahead of the average person with regards to my conscious awareness of the ecological footprint I leave on this earth. And I am proud of that. But not so proud as to have to start a thread about it. Notice how I wasn't the one who started this "hot topic" thread. And I never would. I never would start a thread with claims about "blatant injustice" and "REAL human injustice." Because I also have the self-knowledge and consciousness awareness to know where these hot-topic-type threads always lead. Or this: "Even with absolute proof..." Neither would I start a thread to announce my "absolute" truth to the world. Because I'm not here to shove my advanced awareness of these issues down others' throats. I simply apply that knowledge and awareness to my own personal world, and live it.

It's all about what you do, with what you know.

( Life has a way of showing me how little I know.) My comment was an agreement to this statement and I think that philosophy can be attributed to just about any situation don't you think?

But here's a question for you. Is it absolute truth (or not) that the whole life experience of a little pig who's destined for being eaten, is one of misery and/or pain? Or a calf or a turkey or a meat dog in China.....? The point I'm making is that there are some things where there is an obvious and unavoidable 'absolute truth'.

I've made the following comment in the past, to people who use the 'it's their culture so we can't say anything' justification, where I've asked them the following. If they saw that every day, their neighbour kicked and beat the starving dog that is tied up on the front porch, would they just smile and nod and murmur, 'well, it's his culture', or would they say something to someone like either their neighbour or animal services? By the same token, if I know the suffering that pigs experience at the hands of those who use and abuse them, does it behoove me as a decent, compassionate person, to say something to perhaps prevent or at least educate the next person in hopes of encouraging them to abstain from participating in that abuse (by being the end user)?

On a personal level, one to one with my family and friends, I like to emulate a gentle and kind lifestyle with choices that give mercy to the critters. After all, fighting over the issue will only build walls and cut off communication with those folks so that even the best example is lost because you wind up simply not talking altogether.

But in discussions online, I am more than willing to call it what it is (in the politest way of course) because yes, I would like to see everyone quit killing animals for food, experimentation, clothing and entertainment. It's unjust, it's cruel and in my opinion, those are absolute truths. It is not about me trying to push my agenda on someone else because I have no church to build, nobody keeping track of my 'converts', etc. It is about me trying to save one more pig, one more calf, one more animal from the kind of suffering that most people don't even want to think about and wouldn't do themselves, by educating and informing.........

I've spent ten years educating myself on the various industries on top of a good working knowledge of large farm animals as well as small from years of personal experience, and what is referred to as standard industry practise (torture and mutilations). I've spent hours learning about the effects on the environment (completely destructive and we're going to pay for our appetites) and the harm it does to human health. I did those things and watched those videos and read those articles and at great cost to my personal peace of mind, for the animals.

Paul Watson once remarked that he has no hesitation about the directness of his words (and sometimes harshness) and his actions, because he's working for his clients, the whales. He once sank a fleet of illegal whaling boats in Iceland or Finland (?), went back to face the music and instead was thrown out of the country with no charges and he did that for the whales. Now while I'm more of a coward and wouldn't do anything that questionable, I can still follow his example and speak up for those who need another voice to speak up for them and especially one who knows the facts that surround their lives and their deaths.

Not everyone wants to do that and I understand that we're all different. After all, I'm not a Paul Watson am I? But if it's a choice between silence to save someone's 'sensitive' feelings over who they eat, and speaking out to tell that person who they're eating and how that being suffers, I'll speak out if the opportunity presents itself. I've often wondered how the German citizens felt when they were silent in the face of the roundups and trains that took helpless families away, never to be seen again. In this situation, I cannot let myself be like those citizens who were silent and looked the other way. We're all different and if you want to judge me for that, that's your option and that judgement doesn't make me in the least uncomfortable. This is my life journey and it calls for me to be a voice for them.

And here's a thought, if the sleeping person never hears anyone speaking out, how are they to ever awaken? After all, most veg'ns start out as meat eaters and then somebody said something which provoked thought which caused an awakening. And thus our numbers are growing and fewer animals are being born to die.

Last edited by Debrah : 16-05-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 16-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Ascender
Hi Deborah,

I would definitely not recommend silence, and you're absolutely right. I want to do as much as I can to save animals. As I listen to more people especially those who are opposed to vegans, they seem to not get it no matter how much we explain it. I continue seeking out better ways to spread the message.
Old 16-05-2017, 10:57 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexi-Girl
Hi Deborah,

I would definitely not recommend silence, and you're absolutely right. I want to do as much as I can to save animals. As I listen to more people especially those who are opposed to vegans, they seem to not get it no matter how much we explain it. I continue seeking out better ways to spread the message.

I kind of thought you might be of the same mind as I . I think a great way these days is how some AR groups are paying for bus shelter advertising or some of the big billboards in very busy public places! I think people are often standing around in the bus shelters especially where they have some considerable time to digest the images that are shown.

And note too, I'm not advocating the worst of the available pictures by any means, but just a sweet little face (calf or piglet or chick or....) that we all love to ooh and aah over, and the association with the idea that that little sweetie is going to die for the sake of an order of nuggets (for example) and accompanied by a statement that indicates something profound like 'I don't want to die'.

I think what many who advocate 'personal choice' forget, is that the personal choice of that calf is to be snugged up beside mamma or for the little chick to be nestled into the soft feathers of his mamma's wings. But their personal choices are ignored. So sad.
Old 16-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Experiencer

I watched a video of a goose who spotted his adoptive mum from across he barn yard. It was amazing and delightful to watch him run as fast as his silly flat feet could carry him, wings stretched out wide as he ran to her, honking and calling almost desperately and then when she bent to embrace him, he threw his wings around her, still honking although a little more quietly and almost a croon and embraced her back! It was so obvious that he loved her.

And yet birds just like him are right now, getting their down and feathers ripped out by the handful as they're gripped between the knees of a down 'harvester'. To see that bird being thrown aside when he's finally bare and to see them stumble in shock over the pain.....imagine having your whole body 'waxed' repeatedly over the course of a couple years! They are all part of us and I must say something for their sake, for the sake of Us.
Old 17-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
But in discussions online, I am more than willing to call it what it is (in the politest way of course) because yes, I would like to see everyone quit killing animals for food, experimentation, clothing and entertainment.
And I'm saying your need to see that happen, has to do with your advanced understanding and awareness. You believe your vision of the world and what it could be, is better and more advanced than the majority of the population. And that your lifestyle choices are better and more advanced. And that you are better and more advanced than people who don't care about these issues. So yes, we do see ourselves as better and more advanced than others. Otherwise we wouldn't care enough to say anything.

As for calling it like it is: like I said, the moment you do that, you risk offending people, who will see you as a know-it-all, and someone who who thinks you are better than them. If you choose that path, prepare for war. Prepare to be called a weirdo vegan and labeled a SJW. Prepare for the push back that comes with calling it like it is.

Anyway, the original question here had to do with annoyance at others' harsh labels. The bottom-line was summed up perfectly many posts ago, in one sentence: If you don't give yourself or others labels, you won't be harmed by anything anyone says about you. Or you could express your opinion, and call it like it is, and know you'll get labeled for your opinions. That's the simple reality and choice.
Old 17-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Experiencer

I have no problem being called a weirdo and being labelled an SJW. I don't even care if someone calls me a 'know it all' because in all likelihood, I do know more than them because I've put in the time finding out these things.

I'm pretty sure that my purpose here in this life is to speak out for the animals. I used to call myself an animal lover, but I saw no problem with eating them, or discarding pets (selling off or giving away) that I was bored with, or not getting the cat spayed, having them locked in little cages in zoos, etc. But part of my whole awakening process has been to become aware of our connection at the molecular and Universal level. We are them and they are us, we are One. How could I not speak out for the safety of 'myself'?

As to labels, someone once thought to embarrass me and shut me up by referring to me as a 'stupid bleeding heart'. My response was that 'unlike my opponent, I've studied out the facts, I speak for love and compassion and yes, my heart bleeds for them as they suffer.' 'So sir, I wear my Bleeding Heart badge proudly because it shows that I have one'. And if someone supports abusing them in any way, I'll easily label them too. In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with judging the behaviour and attitude of someone when they cause pain and suffering to others.

The Bible says that to 'him who is given much, much is expected'. Well I've been given a heart for the voiceless and a brain clever and interested enough to do the research........so I would be remiss if I failed to speak out for them when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 31-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Master
..................Double post
Old 31-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Master
Is a SJW like a militant vegan? I live on vegan food and refrain from as many animal products as I practically can for ethical reasons. I won't identify as a vegan usually, unless its a confused waitress to simplify things.

I do this because I dont want to be associated with what it is has become.

While Veganism started off as a philosophy to abstain from animal products as practically as possible, it has become, particularly in social media (Facebook) groups an experience made unpleasant by the zealots hostility towards anything or anyone they feel is not vegan enough for their standards. The really nice ones which many are usually dont get as much airtime as the more vocal controversial ones.

The Vegan movement is getting a bad name for itself because of this negativity and passionate vocal opposition to the flavour of the moment crusade target people are opposing if it isn't a productive or justified one. Most people don't know what to make of it and I have seen it labelled many things just like vegetarians and I can understand the confusion.