Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 17-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean
Hey, I'm a Yoga teacher, and I've been through the whole "I waaaaanna" :)

I know that you know this, but Yoga is not exercise. It's not about performance, it's not about doing the poses - it's about you.

Asana is a metaphor for your life:

-How you treat yourself on the mat is how you treat yourself in life.

- You don't get something (a pose) until you're ready for it, and the progress is not linear. More practice does not equal faster results. I practice less than ever these days and am progressing faster becuase I'm practicing the right way now. Which brings me to -

- Yoga is about balancing the Nervous System. This happens through the breath. If you are not studying the breath, you are not doing Yoga, nor will you make progress in your asana.

- Yoga is about the energy body. This is accessed through the bandhas. If you are not exploring the bandhas in every pose, you are not doing Yoga, nor will you make progress in your asana.

Maybe that sounds harsh, but I've been teaching for years, and so many peopel are thinking their way into their practice. You must feel your way.

Without a spiritual mindset, and a focus on the breath and subtle body, Yoga is a good relaxation device, or a tool for improved mobility, or second rate gymnastics.

I think this conversation originally was about the physical aspects and mental only as it pertains to making yourself get off the couch to do it, plus how sometimes it hurts.

You're absolutely right about the spiritual mindset being the true form, but sometimes people have to work their way up to that. When I first started, it was only about keeping my old body from stiffening up. In the intervening years, I've continued to grow and evolve in other ways and my yoga practise has morphed along with me.
Old 18-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Guide
Location: Beyond this illusion some where between Finding God and helping others
Ocean,

I agree this has alot to do with my problem. We haven't been focusing on the breathing as much as we should ( i say embarrassingly) I know the importance of it, its just so easy to forget to keep doing it and then get frustrated that your not getting the kind of reaction you want from it.
Old 18-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMagdaQueenofQueens
Ocean,

I agree this has alot to do with my problem. We haven't been focusing on the breathing as much as we should ( i say embarrassingly) I know the importance of it, its just so easy to forget to keep doing it and then get frustrated that your not getting the kind of reaction you want from it.

Don't worry Mary... Its partly down to how its taught... Hardly any yoga teachers actually teach us how to breathe, or remind us of it enough. But yeah, without the breath your progress is always going to plateau.

On building a daily routine, start small - start with three mins a day, and in a week you'll naturally build up to a 20 min practice.
Old 25-04-2017, 02:41 AM
Guide

Quote:
Ocean,

When Yoga is correctly understood, the effects can be likened to a total state of Euphoria. True, there's a lot to understand If your trying to understand it from the perspective of breathing, think of it as "Archery in Motion." The body represents the bow, the spine represents the bow string, and the target represents whatever direction your facing. Think of the target as Deadeye Center, the Source of Stillness, and what the concentric rings that surround the Bulls-eye symbolize.

When one is bending the bowstring back, the bowstring (spine) is in a state of tension, and the body "naturally" takes an Inhalation breath. Once the arrow is released from the bow, meaning that the state of tension on the bowstring is back to normal (straight), the body "naturally" takes an Exhalation breath.

That analogy works extremely well for about 90 percent of the Yoga Asana's. Some of the exceptions represent important Asana's where the breath needs to be kept still. Otherwise, when the spine is bent and in a state of tension, usually an Inhalation breath is called for, but never an exhalation breath. The spine has to be in more of a relaxed state to take that.

What happens if your arrow misses the target? That can be likened to an arrow which flies around in Circles, always missing it's Mark. In a poem, Rumi referred to that target as "the Bulls-eye of Bliss."

The word Yoga means Union. The word "Hatha," a reference to the Yoga Asana's, has two syllables, "Ha" and "Tha." Ha means Sun, and Tha means Moon. Ha is symbolized by an upward pointing triangle, and Tha is symbolized by a downward pointing triangle. That's the hint that the Asana's have something to do with that. The word Yoga also bears similarities to the English word Yoke, as in Yoking a Horse to a Chariot. The Body represents the chariot, and the Earth represents the Horse. In order to taste of the Bliss, you have to first find your Center ... Stillness in Motion.
Old 26-04-2017, 07:41 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mark
When Yoga is correctly understood, the effects can be likened to a total state of Euphoria. True, there's a lot to understand If your trying to understand it from the perspective of breathing, think of it as "Archery in Motion." The body represents the bow, the spine represents the bow string, and the target represents whatever direction your facing. Think of the target as Deadeye Center, the Source of Stillness, and what the concentric rings that surround the Bulls-eye symbolize..............The word Yoga also bears similarities to the English word Yoke, as in Yoking a Horse to a Chariot. The Body represents the chariot, and the Earth represents the Horse. In order to taste of the Bliss, you have to first find your Center ... Stillness in Motion.

You're very knowledgeable. Are you a teacher?
Old 27-04-2017, 03:30 AM
Guide

Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
You're very knowledgeable. Are you a teacher?

I'm just an eternal student. lol

Truth is that I didn't understand any of these things a year ago. I spend a lot of time reading the articles at the Isha website. That's what helped me to understand what I consider the most important thing. Once I figured that out, I already knew what to do with the idea because most of the other articles at the Isha website are devoted to the subjects of Meditation and Yoga. But I'm also heavily into researching subjects that I want to understand better. That includes Internet research as well as some books that I was fortunate to stumble upon at the bookstore.

Thanks for acknowledging the fact that I'm knowledgable. I'm not used to that. But I think I like it! lol.
Old 29-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Experiencer

You and I must be cut from the same cloth then Mark because I just finished doing a few weeks worth of studying about B12. Rough notes first as I went through multiple 'medical' websites, then rewrite, then rewrite again to put the rewrite in order.......

I think good effort always deserves acknowledgement and as you've suggested, it's seldom offered. Criticisms on the other hand....So thank you for sharing your knowledge with us, it's helped me have a better appreciation of the esoteric aspects of yoga.
Old 29-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Yoga is an important part of mine and my husbands life. A day that begins with Yoga is often a day well spent and what follows is motivation and self discipline. But the woah of lack of self control is real and the pain its creating in my mind AND body is begining to lessen my faith in myself.

Has any one here struggled with the whole, "i dont wannnnnnaaaaa" thing and if so, how did you over come it....

Some support could really help,
thanks so much.

I don't know if that feeling ever goes away tbh and that's coming from someone who is pretty consistent at least 5+ workouts a week. I shoot for everyday and usually end up around 5 due to life and what not. For me results help make doing it easier. Though, you have to be patient as well. Also, the guilt I feel after missing a day or two is what gets me back in there. No drugs/alcohol helped me get more consistent as well.
Old 30-04-2017, 03:23 AM
Guide

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
You and I must be cut from the same cloth then Mark because I just finished doing a few weeks worth of studying about B12. Rough notes first as I went through multiple 'medical' websites, then rewrite, then rewrite again to put the rewrite in order.......

I think good effort always deserves acknowledgement and as you've suggested, it's seldom offered. Criticisms on the other hand....So thank you for sharing your knowledge with us, it's helped me have a better appreciation of the esoteric aspects of yoga.

I was glad that I was able to help, Debrah :)

I just believe that part of the vision of this forum should be to help people so that they can have some type of genuine experience of spiritual progress. And if they get that, then then it means that what I have to say will help them with other aspects of their lives. If people don't comment because of the way that I help others, that's fine, too. A person can still admire my opinion, and not feel any need to comment. But some might because they might feel "I would have never figured all of that out if you hadn't explained it." And that's really the reward for me, the fact that I've helped somebody like me.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Experiencer

Small reward for great gifts, but accepting what's given and without expectation offers serenity in this life.

I do hope that you have a marvellous day Mark wherever you are.