Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 13-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Master
Is Atheism just an excuse to be selfish?

I was thinking today about atheism and the belief you are your own god

It got me wondering how many Atheist charities there must be.They must be hiding them well because I couldn't find any easy. However on the other hand christian charity Search showed up more than I was willing to count.

This made me wonder is this Atheism thing just an excuse to do nothing to help fellow people and justify it somehow?

With this question, I am sure there probably is some really nice atheist charity workers, but this is about the philosophy of Atheism and how its beliefs reflect on/ benefit their fellow man.
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************
After 181 replies we sorted it out peacefully

This question originally was nothing more than a passing thought,it was more a passing question one day I didn't expect it to go on for ages like it did. Fresh in my mind from talking to an atheist taxi driver that day He didn't impress me with his concern for others and was not as much as some other people, he seemed a bit dismissive of his responsibility to other people. I wondered if there was a connection to his beliefs and his attitude. Then I got the idea to look up charities to see if there was any. Thats why that question was worded like that. So I asked the atheists and they showed me places where they do do charity and that they have good hearts many of them. I know lots of atheists that are nice people anyway that live near me. they dont mind my beliefs either.

Dont stress over this thread it's all been said before in it. I finally put this in so no one else worries about it.

Last edited by Lightspirit : 04-01-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 13-11-2010, 04:14 AM
debbie.b

i do not believe in the almighty god that created us. i do believe we are our own gods in a sense. it is not an excuse for me to be selfish as i work with vulnerable people & do everything i can to make their lives better. just because i have different beliefs about our creation doesn't make me or anyone else with similar beliefs, bad or wrong people. smilimg at someone as you pass them in the street is helping, saying please & thank you or holding a door open for someone is helping. you don't need a charity for good human spirit. :-)
Old 13-11-2010, 04:16 AM
pre-dawn

Search for 'humanist charity'
337,000 results.
Old 13-11-2010, 04:23 AM
pre-dawn

I don't think that one could classify the International Red Cross, MSF (Medicine Sans Frontier), or United Nation's relief efforts as Christian charities.
Old 13-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Master
Does that mean that the term humanist means they do not believe in a god or higher power? Or those other ones mentioned (red cross, etc.)? Wouldn't they be considered more agnostic or something? don't know that a charity can have a belief system, but know what you mean sort of.

Old 13-11-2010, 04:35 AM
Master
I know a lot o religious organizations set it as a combined aim to raise money and help people because it is part of the religions philosophy is about giving of money and personal service for the good of others. whatever the religion. I know there are many charitable organizations that don't belong to any religion, but do you think just because they don't they could claim to be atheist? Sorry for the controversial thread it was just a passing thought.
Old 13-11-2010, 04:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
I know a lot o religious organizations set it as a combined aim to raise money and help people because it is part of the religions philosophy is about giving of money and personal service for the good of others. whatever the religion. I know there are many charitable organizations that don't belong to any religion, but do you think just because they don't they could claim to be atheist? Sorry for the controversial thread it was just a passing thought.

I think that many that don't make any religious claims are just humanitarian, no belief or belief system even enters the picture about them. Well, if they COULD claim to be atheist, obviously none have stepped forward to do so. It's not a controversy, at least not around here. That's what I like about this forum, is there are appropriate places for controversial threads and people by and large, are allowed to speak their minds about any subject they want, as long as it's kept respectful in the process.

Old 13-11-2010, 04:42 AM
debbie.b

but what you are asking is, are athiests selfish. you don't have to be a religious person to be a good person. if you are a good, kind, unselfish human being it is in your nature to be that way not because you believe in god.
Old 13-11-2010, 04:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie.b
but what you are asking is, are athiests selfish. you don't have to be a religious person to be a good person. if you are a good, kind, unselfish human being it is in your nature to be that way not because you believe in god.
No not at al I am just questioning the philosophy of it and if it encompases something in it ie something written as a giude or something to motivate you towards serving other people. I know buddists Christianity and others have this sort of thing written as a guide.

If any of you guys are atheists I'm not picking on you so please don't be offended, especially if you do charity work yourself they are just questions about this belief that's all.
Old 13-11-2010, 04:55 AM
Pathfinder
But what if it is not that Atheist are not charitable, they just don't feel the need to say they are in belief that they are. Where as Religious charities may have a need to trumpet their good doings?