Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 20-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Newbie ;)

Questions

I've been here to ask questions previously and many of the members of this forum helped me so much. Thank you all. I have more questions. May I please ask, of you? I have been lost and I am just now making an attempt at figuring something out, but, what am I trying to figure out?

1. Desire. I asked about this already but, I can now ask about it in a more complex manner... Where does healthy desire start and unhealthy desire end?

2. What is the goal of a Buddhist's life, if it is not complete and total detachment from desires? Is the goal to become as detached as humanly possible?

3. Does everyone view enlightenment differently, our it's there a definitive definition of enlightenment?

4. Why do spiritual teachers seem to teach us to detach from our emotions and view them as a non-judgmental observer? Can that not damage us emotionally? (it has damaged me emotionally)

5. Is enlightenment NOT a state of blissful stupor where we are thoughtless and emotionless?

6. How can enlightenment be bliss if bliss is a chemical reaction? (the release and reuptake of dopamine in our brains)

7. How can the soul's natural state be blissful/loving if thought and emotion are created by physical brain?

8. Does Buddhism teach that submission in the face of dominance is always the most righteous path? Should a Buddhist always submit to someone dominating them? Should a Buddhist tension quiet in the midst of someone ignorant vocalizing lies, to avoid egotism?

9. What IS ego and why shouldn't I identify with my convictions if they are accepted as ethical/moral/etc? Is ego identity? Can you please define ego for me?

10. If I stop identifying with ego, follow a path of Zen, constantly quiet my mind and simply watch my emotions... What is the point of being human? And how can I even survive? Wouldn't I need to be fed and fostered by a caregiver? Wouldn't I be penniless?

If any of you remember me, I am the young man that has spent much of the last few years alone in my bed within a house where I was cared for by my mother. I am making an attempt at living and becoming, and feeling the emotions that I have avoided, or stuffed when in public/socializing. I am anxious to feel again. Would love ANY AND ALL HELP. this won't be my last questions thread....... I am still lost, since the last time I posted.

Thank you all for your precious precious time......
Old 21-02-2017, 05:34 AM
Newbie ;)

11. Also, if my intentions are not to live a life of solitude... If I want a family... Does this defeat Buddhism? If my intent is not to become a Buddha then why am I Buddhist? What is the point of Buddhism if you're making the decision to remain wholly worldly?
Old 21-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippyfloppies
11. Also, if my intentions are not to live a life of solitude... If I want a family... Does this defeat Buddhism? If my intent is not to become a Buddha then why am I Buddhist? What is the point of Buddhism if you're making the decision to remain wholly worldly?

So many questions in one post FF
If you choose one at a time it will be easier for others to help you. Post the first question thats most important to you and we can go from there and try and help....
Old 21-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Master

Hi flippyfloppies,

Attempting these one at a time....

Quote:
1. Desire. I asked about this already but, I can now ask about it in a more complex manner... Where does healthy desire start and unhealthy desire end?
Healthy desire starts with the end of inertia, and unhealthy desire starts with the beginning of spiritual aspiration.

Quote:
2. What is the goal of a Buddhist's life, if it is not complete and total detachment from desires? Is the goal to become as detached as humanly possible?
I cannot speak for Buddhists since I am not one in this life.

Quote:
3. Does everyone view enlightenment differently, our it's there a definitive definition of enlightenment?
There is only one definitive definition of enlightenment, but infinite experiences of it.
Similarly, there are infinite expressions of enlightenment but only one definitive experience of it.

Quote:
4. Why do spiritual teachers seem to teach us to detach from our emotions and view them as a non-judgmental observer? Can that not damage us emotionally? (it has damaged me emotionally)
What we need to detach from are the attachments themselves which are by definition limiting. Real genuine detachment does not presume indifference or preclude compassion. Indeed, the non-judgment implied in detachment is a necessary component of compassion, while it allows discernment.

Quote:
5. Is enlightenment NOT a state of blissful stupor where we are thoughtless and emotionless?
Just the opposite, as ‘stupor’ indicates unconsciousness, whereas enlightenment indicates enhanced, increased, expanded or transcendent consciousness. Consider that ‘thought’ and conscious/consciousness are not necessarily synonymous.

Quote:
6. How can enlightenment be bliss if bliss is a chemical reaction? (the release and reuptake of dopamine in our brains)
That is a materialist view of enlightenment which is not correct - because limited to material phenomenon which is by nature, limited. As such, it cannot pertain to enlightenment which is inherently unlimited, as is bliss.

Quote:
7. How can the soul's natural state be blissful/loving if thought and emotion are created by physical brain?
They are not. The brain is a material instrument recipient of higher principles which are themselves superseded by still higher ones. The soul is willingly encumbered by the conditionally limited instrument of body/mind, unless and until that instrument surrenders to the soul. Meanwhile the soul is patient and supports the evolution of the being in the physical. The soul's status is unconditional, and as such it is not affected by the limitations of the bodily instrument.

Quote:
8. Does Buddhism teach that submission in the face of dominance is always the most righteous path? Should a Buddhist always submit to someone dominating them? Should a Buddhist tension quiet in the midst of someone ignorant vocalizing lies, to avoid egotism?
Again, I am not a Buddhist, but pointing out that a transcendence of ego does not require passivity nor preclude dynamism. The ego is the very instrument of its 'own' transcendence by higher conscious force.

Quote:
9. What IS ego and why shouldn't I identify with my convictions if they are accepted as ethical/moral/etc? Is ego identity? Can you please define ego for me?
Ego is the ignorant separative aspect of the individually differentiated being. You can identify with any principle, but some are necessarily limited or limiting. Ethical and moral standards are good, ok, relatively speaking, but from a spiritual pov, they do not represent the full availability of truth-consciousness.

Quote:
10. If I stop identifying with ego, follow a path of Zen, constantly quiet my mind and simply watch my emotions... What is the point of being human?
If you diligently apply to the former, you will get some insight as to the latter.

Quote:
And how can I even survive? Wouldn't I need to be fed and fostered by a caregiver? Wouldn't I be penniless?
The Universe is essentially compassionate, and a responsive caregiver - and more; and your ability to even ask the question is proof.
Why make debilitating assumptions?

Quote:
I am not a Buddhist, so some of those questions are not properly answerable by me, but maybe they imply that you are not a Buddhist either. Again, why make the assumption that you are. Making “the decision to remain wholly worldly” is another topic, perhaps one that also needs to be addressed first. But that is personal.

~J
Old 21-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Newbie ;)

lol your answers demand more questioning
Old 21-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Newbie ;)

I'd say thee too many different schools of thought on Buddhism that answers are not so clear as you demand.
Old 22-02-2017, 03:37 AM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
Hi flippyfloppies,

Attempting these one at a time....

Healthy desire starts with the end of inertia, and unhealthy desire starts with the beginning of spiritual aspiration.

I cannot speak for Buddhists since I am not one in this life.

There is only one definitive definition of enlightenment, but infinite experiences of it.
Similarly, there are infinite expressions of enlightenment but only one definitive experience of it.

What we need to detach from are the attachments themselves which are by definition limiting. Real genuine detachment does not presume indifference or preclude compassion. Indeed, the non-judgment implied in detachment is a necessary component of compassion, while it allows discernment.

Just the opposite, as ‘stupor’ indicates unconsciousness, whereas enlightenment indicates enhanced, increased, expanded or transcendent consciousness. Consider that ‘thought’ and conscious/consciousness are not necessarily synonymous.

That is a materialist view of enlightenment which is not correct - because limited to material phenomenon which is by nature, limited. As such, it cannot pertain to enlightenment which is inherently unlimited, as is bliss.

They are not. The brain is a material instrument recipient of higher principles which are themselves superseded by still higher ones. The soul is willingly encumbered by the conditionally limited instrument of body/mind, unless and until that instrument surrenders to the soul. Meanwhile the soul is patient and supports the evolution of the being in the physical. The soul's status is unconditional, and as such it is not affected by the limitations of the bodily instrument.

Again, I am not a Buddhist, but pointing out that a transcendence of ego does not require passivity nor preclude dynamism. The ego is the very instrument of its 'own' transcendence by higher conscious force.

Ego is the ignorant separative aspect of the individually differentiated being. You can identify with any principle, but some are necessarily limited or limiting. Ethical and moral standards are good, ok, relatively speaking, but from a spiritual pov, they do not represent the full availability of truth-consciousness.

If you diligently apply to the former, you will get some insight as to the latter.

The Universe is essentially compassionate, and a responsive caregiver - and more; and your ability to even ask the question is proof.
Why make debilitating assumptions?

I am not a Buddhist, so some of those questions are not properly answerable by me, but maybe they imply that you are not a Buddhist either. Again, why make the assumption that you are. Making “the decision to remain wholly worldly” is another topic, perhaps one that also needs to be addressed first. But that is personal.

~J

Excellent answers, Buddhist or otherwise.

shiningstars
Old 22-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
11. Also, if my intentions are not to live a life of solitude... If I want a family... Does this defeat Buddhism?
Well in that case you can skip about 80% of what would have to be answered to the rest of your questions. your questions actually cover several years of study if the answers should be complete.

Quote:
If my intent is not to become a Buddha then why am I Buddhist?
A question for yourself I guess.

Quote:
What is the point of Buddhism if you're making the decision to remain wholly worldly?
Pastime, to have something to believe in, to socialize with other people equally interested, some people need ethical guidelines and try budddhism, etc etc.
But you don't have to become a buddhist if you are just looking for some inspiration as to meditation or philosophy, to try out something new
Old 23-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Newbie ;)

I think that I will try and make it to the Buddhist temple at some point this week or next. Maybe it will be a positive step towards understanding meaning and purpose. Right now I am planning on taking a 2nd job, and I almost feel like I am beating and betraying myself, for many reasons. Burt I know that I must create financial security for my future and maybe even a family one day. I guess I must stop resisting the world..... Despite having believed for so long that I was living righteously by resisting? I will plan to go to the Buddhist temple by this time next week.

Can anyone recommend a good website for learning about spirituality and mind without Buddhism? And is there a section for the religionless here?
Old 23-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good website for learning about spirituality and mind without Buddhism? And is there a section for the religionless here?
you can discard all the religious belief stuff of buddhism and focus on its meditation approaches only. The point is that whereever you turn to to get information, be it a website or a book there will be lurking a religious tradition and they will try to draw you into their community of believers. They will tell you again and again 'you need a teacher' until you believe it. Then they will present you a path and say that you have to tread this path. They will offer courses and the like. In this way you will become dependent on the religious tradition. Even if they claim not to be religious believers they have their specific collective philosophy they believe in as truth and so are no different from classical religious communities.
It is difficult to engage in any sort of spirituality without falling into the trap of religious belief and without becoming dependent on it. But becoming involved in such collective structures and beliefs entails that problems arise that you haven't had before so that it may turn out that initially you wanted some spirituality because you had some problems but then you end up with even more problems: the old ones not resolved and new ones caused by sprituality or you simply have replaced the old problems by new ones.
If one does not want to get involved in religious beliefs one should also stay away from monks and temples.

Instead of asking for websites in a forum get information via google. There is no success ever without own initiative
Collect information about meditation, all the many buddhist schools and their characteristic meditations. you have to find out what kind of meditation appeals to you.