Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Astral Projection

Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Knower
Was this an OBE? sleep paralysis question also

Hello.

About a year ago, I was in bed sleeping. I woke up because I felt my body shaking and I kind of remember seeing my body as it was happening. it was a really quick (maybe 2 seconds) shaking of my body. I freaked out because i thought it was a spirit trying to scare me. But because I saw myself doing it, i'm now wondering if it was an OBE? What do you think?

Also, a few months ago I experienced sleep paralysis twice in the same night, and once a different night. Is there a reason for sleep paralysis? I'm wondering why it happened frequently and then stopped. Could it have been that I was overly tired? I haven't experienced it since. It was really scary, especially because I didn't know what it was. Luckily I was able to make a little squeeky noise loud enough to let my boyfriend know something was wrong. Once he touched my arm to see if I was okay, i was able to move again.

Thanks!
-Ciara
Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Master

When we wake up during REM sleep, we often go in sleep paralysis. As we sleep in cycles between REM and non REM sleep (i'm no expert on this) it's like playing a chance game in what state we'll awaken in.
to answer the first part, it could've very well been an OBE. what does your gut say it was? i've had both the experience of the switch in panic of the brain where it kicks you out and instantly brings you back in when it deems safe ( a softball accident (I was pitching) where i got wailed in the head and saw it from the sidelines, then woke up laughing that i had fallen over like a squirrel ( i have the tendency to laugh at myself when i get seriously hurt- a good reaction as apparently laughing acts as a natural painkiller.) and the experience of just a regular projection where i choose to leave or i find that i've left.

Project Spirit has set up a energy channel for anyone who needs it. We have it touch down in each country, and net outwards in them. You can access energy from this channel simply by intending to tap into it. Pm me if you'd like more info.

http://www.kindspring.org/
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Pathfinder
Sleep paralysis can be used as a gateway to a lucid dream. It's much easier to slip into a state of lucid dreaming during that time. It could be that the OBE was a lucid dream. If it ever happens again, try to remember it's just sleep paralysis and can't hurt you, calm your breathing, relax, close your eyes and try to focus your intent on lucid dreaming.

Sleep paralysis can be caused by a lot of things. Some times it just happens for no reason, just possibly misfires in the brain not waking you up in the correct order I have it very often, at least twice a week. I've found that being overly tired and deprived of sleep can cause it to happen, as will drinking caffeine or too much sugar before bed.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Imagine

The only time I have had sleep paralysis was once when my daughter was an infant, and I was very sleep deprived. It was very scary, and I felt like there was a 'presence' in the room, and I couldn't move or speak. Luckily I fell back to sleep and awakened normally later. I attribute my experience to shifting hormones and exhaustion.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKindOfLullaby
Hello.

About a year ago, I was in bed sleeping. I woke up because I felt my body shaking and I kind of remember seeing my body as it was happening. it was a really quick (maybe 2 seconds) shaking of my body. I freaked out because i thought it was a spirit trying to scare me. But because I saw myself doing it, i'm now wondering if it was an OBE? What do you think?

Also, a few months ago I experienced sleep paralysis twice in the same night, and once a different night. Is there a reason for sleep paralysis? I'm wondering why it happened frequently and then stopped. Could it have been that I was overly tired? I haven't experienced it since. It was really scary, especially because I didn't know what it was. Luckily I was able to make a little squeeky noise loud enough to let my boyfriend know something was wrong. Once he touched my arm to see if I was okay, i was able to move again.

Thanks!
-Ciara

I have experienced similar things like waking up and my body felt like it was shaking after sleep paralysis. At the time I thought I was having a siezure. Later on when I discovered astral projection I found out that a symptom of projecting was vibrations which is more than likely what you were experiencing. Vibrations often happen before you leave your body and you probably fought against them because of the fear from the paralysis and having no clue what was going on. Sometimes when we wake up quickly from a dream and suffer from sleep paralysis we experience vibrations and sometimes we can project from that point on. It's not 100% clear to me why this happens but it definitely does. Sleep paralysis can happen from being over-tired, stressed out, certain things you eat before bed, going to sleep on an empty stomach, etc. There are a lot of factors in sleep paralysis which cause it to happen.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Knower
I now wish that I knew what was going on when I had sleep paralysis. Now that I actually want to go into that state, it never happens anymore :p
Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKindOfLullaby
I now wish that I knew what was going on when I had sleep paralysis. Now that I actually want to go into that state, it never happens anymore :p

Do you sleep on your back? It seems that it usually only happens when one is laying in that position. Next time you're very sleep deprived try laying like that for a while
Old 06-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikael
Do you sleep on your back? It seems that it usually only happens when one is laying in that position. Next time you're very sleep deprived try laying like that for a while

For me I experience sleep paralysis much more frequently when I sleep on my stomach than I do sleeping on my back. It is different for everyone but I rarely experience SP on my back. I had a phase for a year or two when I slept on my stomach more frequently than my back and I used to have sleep paralysis at least several times a week. Now that I sleep on my back I barely experience SP one or twice a month.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Knower
I actually was on my back, which is weird because I can never sleep like that.
Whenever I try to force AP, I lay on my back and nothing happens. Maybe i'll try going on my stomach next time.