Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Astrology > Astronomy

Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 PM
mattie

Global Warming

‘Scientists have used satellite data from NASA-built Landsat missions to confirm that more than 20 years of warming temperatures in northern Quebec, Canada, have resulted in an increase in the amount and extent of shrubs and grasses.’

‘"For the first time, we've been able to map this change in detail, and it's because of the spatial resolution and length-of-record that you can get with Landsat," says Jeff Masek, the program's project scientist. He's based at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.’

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...ub-spread.html

Old 24-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Master
I live near Toronto Ontario Canada and this is the warmest late January I have ever seen in my life! Every year summer is hotter and lasts longer. I grew up with huge snow banks piled high by this time of year, and lots of outdoor skaters...no more. Now it's all green lawns and rain.
Old 24-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
I live near Toronto Ontario Canada and this is the warmest late January I have ever seen in my life! Every year summer is hotter and lasts longer. I grew up with huge snow banks piled high by this time of year, and lots of outdoor skaters...no more. Now it's all green lawns and rain.
Same here.I live in the northeast (US) and growing up, we had snow all December long, and the roads were always snow covered and hard packed that we would ice skate on the roads. The snow drifts were so high we'd make snow forts out of them. The snow would bank up next to the house so high it was to the roof on our small house. We'd not see brown or green of dirt/grass until late April.

We've only had one substantial snow and that was for a day; it's all melted now. Yesterday was in the 50s. There's no snow to be seen out there now.
Old 24-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Time

Mattie - First, its CLIMATE CHANGE, not global warming. There is evidence that some places, in some seasons/generally are cooling (like europes winter, and canadas maritimes).

For northern areas, is warming. That is a great link though. It has happened before. Corals, and plants are going north, and pretty soon well more then likely see "invasive" new species popping up as the birds migrate north as well. It will be sped up by our gardeners, whom usually bring in all sorts of plants, but it will also happen due to natures usual forward march, during warming periods:

Look up the PETM (piecioscene-eocene thermal maximum). Striking parellels with today!.
Old 24-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Greybeard

Uh....climate change, global warming....

The Antarctic is losing ice and the Russians now are using the Arctic Ocean as a shipping conduit to Asia in the summer. Glaciers worldwide are receding. I think the Globe is getting warmer. There was a time when most of the Earth was covered in ice. And there have been times when it was much warmer than now.

An optimist is a person who makes opportunities out of difficulties. I have just bought 6000 acres in the Yukon and will plant rice on the melting tundra next year.

The problem we have here on Earth is not natural or even human-induced climate change. It is our greedy, selfish, short-sighted and rapacious nature. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. My next investment is going to be a glacier on Greenland. I will sell you pure water to drink at exorbitant prices -- in plastic bottles, so that I can make a second fortune through my waste disposal company. Did you notice, during the recent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico... the same people reponsible for the oil spill were the ones selling the chemical dispersants to save us from it? I'm not sure who is selling the chemicals to save us from the dispersants.

We are not going to figure it out, so I won't bother to ask...When are we going to stop our self-destructive race to hell?

Apart from our nature, the fundamental problem we face is over-population. Resolving this single problem will eliminate most of the others. Hmm....well, so much for resolving our problems. Oh, I must go. My favorite Reality Show is coming on.
Old 24-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
Uh....climate change, global warming....

There is a major difference, and there is mroe then enough evidence to suggest that there are cooling trends as well as warming trends. If you like I would gladly post some dox so you dont think im bluffing

An optimist is a person who makes opportunities out of difficulties. I have just bought 6000 acres in the Yukon and will plant rice on the melting tundra next year.

[/quote]

There is one, bug, major problem with that:

You are going to destroy a natural ecosystem to grow rice? Is that not creating the same problem over again?
Old 24-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Greybeard

Of course I am. That is the point. I can make a lot of money with rice... who is going to buy the stupid dwarf willows that grow there now?

You must have a lot of Virgo in your horoscope.
Old 24-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
Of course I am. That is the point. I can make a lot of money with rice... who is going to buy the stupid dwarf willows that grow there now?

You must have a lot of Virgo in your horoscope.

Please tell me your being sarcastic :P
Old 24-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Time

If you are joking, here is a song that goes with the lulz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K73EkIpSDyk

IF you arent joking, prepare for a barrage of information:P
Old 24-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Master
Time, the rapid change in climate happened VERY suddenly in the year 2000 and is related to Greenhouse gas emissions and deforestation. Google climate change/global warming and "the hockey stick". In the billions of years of earth's history the weather patterns never changed as sharply and as suddenly as this. It's definitely human intervention. 97% of scientists agree. The other 3% have been bought out by corporations/governments.