Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Crystals & Gemstones

Old 16-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Experiencer
Color Tourmaline wedding ring instead of diamond

My wife and I have been together for many years, but are not officially married. We are planning on doing that in the near future and are now shopping around for wedding rings.

We have decided that instead of diamond we are going to get each other tourmaline as the main stone. Tourmaline can be quite high-end and expensive in it's own right, and we both think it would be more interesting and more to what we like.

I just thought you guys would find this interesting maybe. We have looked at many with 18K gold bands, with tourmaline stones in the 5-10 carat range. I was thinking probably red or purple tourmaline for her, and probably green or pariba blue tourmaline for mine.

My wife just loves tourmaline, makes her feel happy, and I like the idea of getting something different and vintage, something from a different time period. Tourmaline made a huge splash in the 20's and 30's and there is some really interesting pieces from great artists.
Old 16-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Deactivated Account
Diamonds are forever :)

The only problem I can see is a Mohs scale hardness, which is quite low for that purpose, not more than 7,5. That means it can be damaged...

Blue tourmaline (indicolite) is also my favored :)
Tourmalines of all types have good durability, but not good as diamonds.
Old 17-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Experiencer
It's a good point that you make about the hardness of the stones. I think it's still our choice because of how much she loves tourmaline. Considering that these vintage rings have survived throughout the years, tourmaline must be at least not too bad for durability, and I think it would also depend on the type of setting. Some settings I see as very safe and others I see almost looking for trouble.

She actually doesn't even like the ones with diamonds as accents, she wants a good quality gold band with a solid and single large tourmaline stone. Something large but not gaudy. I am not too picky but I would like to get one that has a fairly large stone for myself, at least 5 to 10 carats like I said. I don't think I would spend as much on mine as I would on her. I just think they have some personality and it would be something out of the ordinary. Some of these rings are as expensive as a good diamond ring would be.
Old 17-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Experiencer
This is interesting, if you and her both want tourmaline, then definitely go for it. It's almost as if you ask permission, ha, I know you're not, but just saying, you don't have to get a diamond just because everybody else would expect you to do that. Or maybe it's not even related to what I just said and you simply ask about tourmaline. To be honest, a diamond is a diamond, but for me it would be less special as compared to tourmaline if I was in your context 100%, especially that she loves tourmaline. I just googled some tourmaline rings, for women looks as it should, but for men it looks like you are about to be the next wizard in the town ha! It looks good!

tl'dr whatever you choose it will be the right choice. my comment is useless lol, letting you know that you should choose what you want, not what other people (outsiders) expect you to get :)
Old 17-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Deactivated Account
As Bubbles said, it should be only your choice. Please yourself and your wife with rings you like most.
Good luck!
Old 17-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Experiencer
Hi Bubbles ! I know exactly what you mean about looking like Gandalf LOL ! There are many that are overly gaudy or silly looking ( we have to remember many of these came from the early 20th century ) Some of them look O.K for men, particularly the green tourmaline that is not too over the top. We have viewed hundreds on ebay and there is only 1 or 2 that she is drawn to, and I have only found maybe 3 that are suitable for me, but we are very early in the process yet.

You're comment is not useless, I appreciate it. Nobody will be able to talk us out of it, we have already decided.
Old 17-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Tourmaline made a huge splash in the 20's and 30's and there is some really interesting pieces from great artists.

Cool. You got any pics or particular resources? That would be neat to see.

I use to work in fine jewelry for a number of years. Diamonds are a good marketing selling stone. Employees were eligible to get up to 50-60 percent off Diamonds because they really are worth half their value I regret to inform folks. Personally, I find other fine stones like emeralds, rubies, sapphires, much prettier than diamonds and these days I go absolutely crazy for healing Crystals including Malachite's, Jaspers, Quartz, Amethysts ... It seems we have come to a place in society( at least in the past 50-70) years where we have put a lot of value in a diamond when it comes to marriage/commitment.

Anywho,the stone should be whatever makes you both happy, be a lake pebble or a diamond, you both have each other. Best wishes
Old 17-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Experiencer
Thanks for the sentiment Clover ! That was very elegantly put !

In the olden days it was not uncommon to have just a gold band without any stone at all.

It's really interesting about the markup on diamonds. I guess they have to make their money somehow and put on sales like the rest of us. Once I was shopping for diamonds in retail stores, and I was pricing out diamonds and the sales lady was trying to sell me these genuine diamonds that had certificates mined in Alaska/Yukon and they were guaranteed not blood diamonds. Me being less sentimental and just wanting a deal, I asked her " how much for the blood diamonds ? " I don't think she was very impressed

Here is some pictures of one I am considering for her. The band is an 18K and the stone is a huge raspberry red ( bordering purple ) natural tourmaline. This is a vintage piece from the early 20th century. It has also been signed by the artist.

One thing you might find interesting if you used to work in jewelry, is that I read sometimes red tourmaline is sold as ruby.

Old 30-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal canuck
Thanks for the sentiment Clover ! That was very elegantly put !

In the olden days it was not uncommon to have just a gold band without any stone at all.

It's really interesting about the markup on diamonds. I guess they have to make their money somehow and put on sales like the rest of us. Once I was shopping for diamonds in retail stores, and I was pricing out diamonds and the sales lady was trying to sell me these genuine diamonds that had certificates mined in Alaska/Yukon and they were guaranteed not blood diamonds. Me being less sentimental and just wanting a deal, I asked her " how much for the blood diamonds ? " I don't think she was very impressed

Here is some pictures of one I am considering for her. The band is an 18K and the stone is a huge raspberry red ( bordering purple ) natural tourmaline. This is a vintage piece from the early 20th century. It has also been signed by the artist.

One thing you might find interesting if you used to work in jewelry, is that I read sometimes red tourmaline is sold as ruby.

Hey! I am sorry I missed this thread. Beautiful, I love it reminds me of a bit of amethyst. A very deep undertone it has, I particularly liked the shape of the stone, looks like you could stare deep into it like a crystal ball hehe. I personally prefer silver tones (as far as a band) with purple, you should check that out as well in person if you get a chance

I hope you two figure it out! Looks lovely
Cloves
Old 01-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Experiencer
Looks lovely, but I can't wait to see yours =)
I want to say something more, but Clover took the words out of my mind and posted first.

I wish you both the best!