Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Pathfinder
Question Belief Itself "the Bridge" to Achieving an Afterlife?

Is it possible that belief itself is enough to achieve ascension into the afterlife?

One of my favorite movies is Kevin Costner's, "Dragonfly" (2002) where He plays a doctor contacted by his deceased wife to locate their surviving daughter in South America (unbeknownst to him) protected by a primitive tribe thousands of years old.

In one of the scenes, he is talking to Sister Madeline about the near death experiences experiences of little children in his hospital, through whom his wife is utilizing as conduits to force her message across.

Sister Madeline: And I realized in an age where no one believes in miracles anymore, I was witnessing miracles every day. And the Pediatric Oncology ward with the children was the perfect laboratory to study it-the near death experience. Being kids, they were more open to what happens on the other side.

Joe Darrow: You’re convinced it’s not just in their minds?

Sister: Just in their minds. What we’re experiencing right now could be just in your mind. You’re a doctor because you dreamed of being one, right? You imagined that for yourself. If we can make this world with what we imagine, why not the next?

Joe: So, so you’re saying belief-

Sister: -Gets us there.

Joe: Did Emily believe? Because I think she got there. I believe she’s trying to contact me. Two kids have seen her. One was flat-lined, another in coma-

Sister: -In the tunnel?

Joe: In a rainbow. Trying to tell me something, something urgent, but I don’t know what. They draw this after they’ve seen her. Have you ever seen this before?

Sister: No.

Joe: I don’t know. Am I just going nuts?

Sister: As nuts as Christopher Columbus thinking there was another side to the Earth. Talk to an anesthesiologist and they’ll tell you there are a hundred steps to the ladder of consciousness between being fully alert and being fully dead. To put a patient under, they bring them down only to the tenth rung. Beneath that is a descending gray-scale like the depths of an ocean no one has explored. It’s in those depths, those murky depths that she’s finding them, the children. They’re her conduit because she knew you’d find your way to them. Stay close to them. Be with them when they slip away so you can be with them when they first awaken before the details fade. One of them will come back with the answer.

Is it possible that the Afterlife isn't really a "goal" or a "mission", but rather, just a place we are returning to when we die? The scriptures and message of God allow us to learn of Heaven, so by believing that our own Heaven exists through these sources, are we really just remembering our previous spiritual life before we were born and that our understanding is enough to allow us to go back?

If so, how does that affect morality, ethics, and other holy codes and sacraments we are taught to adhere to by God? How does this possibly affect our compassion, love, desire for "good", and order, etc.? It's been bugging me since I first watched the movie.

Mike
“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12

"Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth." John 17:17

"Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, That ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." Ephesians 6:13
Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Master
Seeker... I've learned so much about the realms beyond this one from reading many of the true NDE stories that are around now... in books and on the internet... and from meditation.

http://nderf.org

http://iands.org/nde-stories.html

Xan