Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 20-10-2014, 04:05 PM
sweetbeefaerie

Questions for my fellow vegans

I have a few questions for you guys. I have had a few struggles since going vegan (mainly eating out..which I love to do. That is extremely difficult for me). I wanted to see what other people were experiencing.

What were some of the struggles you had when first going vegan? How did you overcome these struggles, if you did? What made you go vegan in the first place(spiritual reasons, physical reasons, mental reasons, etc.)? What is it about being vegan that you love? Why would you recommend being vegan to someone else?
Old 20-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Master

I was a vegetarian for many years before going vegan a year ago. The change for me was just giving up dairy. But that was hard too, because as a vegetarian, I consumed a lot of dairy. I have substituted almond milk and soy milk for dairy milk. I also use vegan cheese and tofu. But mainly I use lot of whole grains, fruits and veggies.

As for eating out, I am lucky to live in a vegan friendly city. We actually have vegan only restaurants, bakeries and juice bars where I live. Besides there are whole lot of vegan friendly restaurants and grocery outlets. Our vegan meetup group has over 1000 members and we get together often at various vegan restaurants. Do you have any specific questions?
Old 20-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
My hard part was only to do with personal egotism. I am very happy to be vegan, and love the taste of vegan food. I used to be vegetarian only very occasionally eating fish...up until two and a half years ago.

So my personal egotism-challenge was this...Someone I know who has a thing about being 'my buddy' likes to go out to town for fish and chips and a few beers. This guy is a hard-nosed ex-serviceman, but he is a bit lonely right now for practical rather than other reasons. So I sometimes do go along with him as I do know that behind it all, he values my companionship. He's the kind of guy who would shoot squirrels and roast them, and is certainly a meat eater.
OK so when I get to the fish and chip shop I get a bean burger. He wonders why I don't want Cod, just like him, like Cod isn't good enough for me or something.
Saying "I support compassion for living creatures, and don't want to kill them any more because I don't need to"....gets me all kinds of innuendos....one of them being I am a bit of a 'new-age cat-shaped thing' (won't say the actual word here LOL) ....WAY too soft...etc.
He projects that I'm "one of the boys" a bit....and his boys certainly weren't vegan!

So I just carry on regardless, but it sometimes isn't easy and would rather eat my dinner at home. It's educational and interesting to see how my ego can still be made uncomfortable sometimes! Well never mind. No Being was killed on my watch.
Old 20-10-2014, 11:29 PM
sweetbeefaerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
Do you have any specific questions?

Well, I guess in your case it was much easier with all those vegan places. I used to live in a beautiful town like that but I've had to move because it was an expensive area :/

My main question I guess would involve self control... I need some help increasing my self control. I'm actually quite impressed that I have committed as well as I have, and I'm proud that I do have more self control than I previously expected of myself. It's just the eating out thing always seems to get me :( I'll be with friends or family, and I feel rude requesting one of the two places near here that are a little vegan friendly when everyone else is set on some BBQ place or sports bar. And then ordering I feel rude being so picky with the waiter/waitress (that's more of a timidness issue I think).

If anyone has tips on bettering your self control, that would definitely help.
Old 20-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator
Self control....this might help.
Each time you are faced with choices, maybe in a social setting where it can be difficult, when others are not vegan....just take a moment to contemplate why you are bothering to be vegan. It might be a sad negative thought, but you could respectfully remember the animals who suffer in the meat industry. Let the kindness in your heart make the choices.
Old 21-10-2014, 12:37 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbeefaerie
Well, I guess in your case it was much easier with all those vegan places. I used to live in a beautiful town like that but I've had to move because it was an expensive area :/
Sweet Bee, You're welcome to move down here or up here. This is a lively and friendly city.
Quote:
My main question I guess would involve self control... I need some help increasing my self control.
Tobi has already given you some good advice. I used to be timid about explaining to others why I am vegan and avoided telling the real reason for fear of offending others with different perspective. Since joining a very activist vegan meetup group here, I make it a point to tell, if asked, the real reason why I am vegan. I mince no words in saying that my reasons are based on ethical considerations alone and that I don't want to cause harm to any living creature if I can help it.

As for self-control, be yourself, be true to yourself and do not deny your true nature for any reason.
Old 21-10-2014, 02:08 PM
sweetbeefaerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Self control....this might help.
Each time you are faced with choices, maybe in a social setting where it can be difficult, when others are not vegan....just take a moment to contemplate why you are bothering to be vegan. It might be a sad negative thought, but you could respectfully remember the animals who suffer in the meat industry. Let the kindness in your heart make the choices.

That's a splendid idea. I think doing that will really help
Old 21-10-2014, 02:11 PM
sweetbeefaerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
Sweet Bee, You're welcome to move down here or up here. This is a lively and friendly city.
Tobi has already given you some good advice. I used to be timid about explaining to others why I am vegan and avoided telling the real reason for fear of offending others with different perspective. Since joining a very activist vegan meetup group here, I make it a point to tell, if asked, the real reason why I am vegan. I mince no words in saying that my reasons are based on ethical considerations alone and that I don't want to cause harm to any living creature if I can help it.

As for self-control, be yourself, be true to yourself and do not deny your true nature for any reason.

Wise words <3 The city I used to live in is Asheville, NC. Such a beautiful place. The people are so kind and open, and spirituality and being ethical in general is just normal practice there. I plan to make it back there some day..
Old 21-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbeefaerie
Wise words <3 The city I used to live in is Asheville, NC. Such a beautiful place. The people are so kind and open, and spirituality and being ethical in general is just normal practice there. I plan to make it back there some day..

That would be lovely. It's nice to have people like that around. I love the place I live very much indeed, but wish the people I met with here were like that....
Old 22-10-2014, 05:59 PM
sweetbeefaerie

It is truly a unique experience living there. Of course there are still dramas like in any other place, but the love overpowers that easily. I would highly recommend a visit!