Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Aromatherapy

Old 05-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Guide
Incense etc.......carcinogens?

Hi,

I was quite a fan of "incense sticks", incense (sorry if the spelling isn't good) but family members told me that incense sticks have been linked with cancer.

Death doesn't scare me but having just watched a mate/colleague die of cancer falling ill defo does......

I was reading about making my own mixes with pestle and morter but don't fancy the idea of now.

If smoking (nicotine) is dangerous I guess any putting nay smoke in the air is no better?

Guys, whats the truth here? (I just picked up a pestle and morter for 2 quid at a car boot sale....)

TVM
Old 10-10-2015, 02:12 AM
Guide
20 views, I take it that's a no then.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Seeker
Stick incense usually tends to be from synthetic sources and would not recommend burning them in enclosed locations, I also assume they are possible carcinogens.

I myself burn actual herbs in my house, typically sage with various essential oils, and of coarse palo santo.

Ive read that some herbs have germ killing actions when burned though I dont remember the location.
Old 27-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Master
Once I saw your thread it interested me so I looked into it - go to the Wikipedia site

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incense and scroll down to "Health"

Some good info there.

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 28-01-2016, 05:33 PM
Lepus

Hello Moon_Glow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Glow
Once I saw your thread it interested me so I looked into it - go to the Wikipedia site

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incense and scroll down to "Health"

Some good info there.

I never knew long term exposure can lead to hazardous health. I often keep my bedroom window open to filter out the incense smoke. Perhaps, this might reduce the risk of having health effects? Thanks for the link.

Quills Quiver
Old 28-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Master
No problem -- I didn't realize it either until I read it --

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 29-01-2016, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator
What is 'carcinogenic' to some, others can live with quite happily. Some people breathe smoke regularly yet do not develop cancers. People who live in dwellings in Outer Mongolia, or the Urals or anywhere else, may breathe a lot of smoke from their fires in their lifetime yet don't get lung cancer!
Some people never breathe smoke -yet do!

However, if you are worried, there is an easy alternative to incense sticks, and doesn't cost any more. In fact, it may be cheaper!

Buy some good quality aromatherapy-grade scented essential oils, and put a few drops into a little water in an oil burner with a night-light underneath.
You will get the scent out in the room quite well, with no smoke, and there should be nothing toxic in that.

But if you have pets, do remember their sense of smell is very acute and it may be unbearable for them to breathe the scent.
Old 31-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Experiencer
I tried to use incense sticks but the smoke just hurts my eyes when I'm 4 meters away.
Old 26-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling
Hi,

I was quite a fan of "incense sticks", but family members told me that incense sticks have been linked with cancer.TVM

I had the same concern a year or so ago as I was using a lot of incense. I discarded all my incense and switched to using an essential oil diffuser. The oils have beneficial effects and no smoke.