Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 09-05-2017, 08:14 AM
Seeker

How do I tell what is a sign or not?

Was raised atheist, used to be completely and utterly rational. A variety of life experiences completely changed my viewpoint - so amazing that I wrote a book about them. :)

However, this has recently been a tough time for me which has caused me to re-evaluate my thinking about many things. I still do Believe in the Divine which encompasses all - call it God or whatever you will. I believe everything has a reason.

But I'm not sure which of my hunches I should follow. A friend appears telling me about a writing competition...is that a sign? I play a board game and I die horribly when trying to go to school in it...is that a sign that I should NOT go back to school? (something I am contemplating) Many many decisions.

I typically believe in threes - if God wants me to know something, he will tell me three times. I also believe in dreams. But beyond that I'm kind of confused :)

What do you all think?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianthe
I typically believe in threes - if God wants me to know something, he will tell me three times. I also believe in dreams.
Hi Rianthe. When you say God, what do you mean here? Certainly there are spiritual guides. And we are also guided by the higher self. But I'd suggest "God" doesn't come into this. And certainly not if you're imagining God as "He."

Essentially, we all have a higher intuitive voice that speaks to us if and when we stop to listen. And it's a spiritual-listening technique one can develop. That's what I would focus on if you're looking for ways to help with decision-making and life choices.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Lorelyen

A sign is just a symbol, quality or something that represents something else usually an idea which is also a sign of a phenomenon or something abstract- like the stylised V (for Venus) becomes the traditional love ♥ as a sign for anything to do with Venusian qualities.

The association between the sign and what's signified (the something else) can be anything from vague and superstitious to moderately precise. Point is, what is to one person a sign could be meaningless to someone else so we sometimes create the relationship individually.

Take care only that some signs give rise to superstition. LOL, I'm not claiming there's anything wrong with superstition - I'm pretty superstitious myself - but be ready to admit when something might be superstitious and don't raise any concrete hopes around it.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Experiencer

The only real signs you should be paying attention to are your emotional responses to your options. Most signs are internal, potentially even intuitive.

I do agree that there is a rule of three.. but that is more often three chances to do something rather than three signs that you should do something.

Try not to get caught up in analyzing and assessing each random event in your life to try to find meaning. Look within yourself and decide what feels right.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Seeker

Good advice everyone! Thank you.

I don't define God as either male or female. I tend to use the phrase "the Heavens" or "the Divine" in my prayers.

I guess I should try to place more faith in myself?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianthe
I guess I should try to place more faith in myself?
Faith and belief in the glory and perfection and benevolence of all creation -- including myself. That's the truth I live.