Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 08-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Master
In the Lord's Prayer, what is the "Name" of God to be hallowed

The Lord's Prayer starts with "Our Father, which art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name". What is your understanding of the "Name" of God that should be "hallowed" ?

I was just talking to one of my Jehovah Witness friends and he has indicated that the name should be "Jehovah". I have a different understanding but, before stating it, I'm curious to hear other thoughts on this subject.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Master
Yes, I think it should be Jehovah.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 13-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Experiencer
There is no deity in either Jewish scripture, what most here would refer to as the Old Testament, or Christian scripture, which most here would refer to as the New Testament, with the name Jehovah.

With all due respect to, among others, the Jehovah Witnesses, the tetragrammaton - Yod, Hey, Vav, Hey - neither translates nor transliterates as Jehovah.
Old 14-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Deactivated Account
let me write this (in this way), so you can think about it a bit:

What is the name of God.
What is the name of Dan.
What is the name of Tree.
What is the name of Rock.
What is the name of Window.
What is the name of Rabbi.
What is the name of Christ.
What is the name of Car.
What is the name of You.
What is the name of I.
What is the name of God.

What is the ancient name of God, and who else called him as that, if he is the first and the last and everything ?

its easy (read simple), really.
Old 14-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Master
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I never thought the prayer was referring to a literal name, but rather that God should be considered Hallowed, or sacred?

Or have I misunderstood something?

Curious though to hear more. Carry on.
Old 14-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Master
a name is a label, and i don't think that prayer was meant to venerate a label.
the original language of the text might shed light on the meaning of the phrase.
i'm guessing that it refers to "the word of God" (Christ), or perhaps the product
of the word [in defining God, through actions].
here's a page speaking to the issue:
http://www.lords-prayer-words.com/me...w_henry_2.html
i disagree with his thought: "When we pray this line we are recognising the
nature of God as holy and distinct from us."... i believe that recognising that
the nature of God is NOT "distinct" from us is important... we are not separate.
Old 14-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Experiencer
I call Him Father God.
Old 15-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Deactivated Account
A prayer is a reminder to yourself.

what you said h:o:r:a:c:e is right, the father is not distinct from us, we only think that we are. And with this thinking, we are different :( .
And so the prayer is a reminder that God is Hallowed.

I call him either God, or Father. A small distinction that he is my source, but my Source and I are the same.

God is Hallowed and Sacred, Goodness in his content.
Humans took time and have learned that they are different, and so the prayer is a reminder of what God really is.
It is an affirmation, that we do not want to be different, as well - this helps us to recognize that we aren't.
Old 17-04-2017, 02:27 PM
Master
In that Era the "name" of something determined their nature. Parents named their children based on a 'hunch" of what the child's nature was. We kinda do this now. Jesus' name reveals his nature. SO what is God's name? There are several in the bible such as YHWH, Jehovah, Elohim. It is probably in reference to YHWH which you do NOT speak. YHWH is suppose to be inhaled and exhaled as the Breath of Life. The Breath is the Holy Spirit

You could say that the Holy Spirit, being the Nature of God is the Name of God. It is the Hallowedness and Sacredness of All Things. The Holy Spirit, the Shekinah the Presence of God is everywhere. Everything and everyone is sacred in the eyes of God.

Our Father who art in Heaven, "hallowed be thy name", the Father's immanent presence in all Creation. Jesus was a simple man of his time so when he said Heaven he is referring to the Other Side of reality behind the etheric walls of creation. Whereas "hallowed be thy name"- "thy kingdom come thy will be done" "on Earth as it is in heaven". God's Kingdom is a forcefield of consciousness which Jesus said that one must come from "the kingdom of God is within you". This would be Christ's consciousness that he shared with God. It is eternally present in Heaven because the nature of Heaven is the Holy Spirit, the Divine Presence- but on Earth (or the material universe), the Spirit needs to be spread and manifest and expressed by human beings if we are to make THIS world an EXTENSION of the Divine Worlds.

That is the Lord's Prayer in a nutshell. It's about bringing the Spirit (which is no skin off Heaven's back) into the physical dimensions. Humans are not made in God's Image because of how they look or even their eternality. Animals continue to live forever since they are Souls too. But the Bible makes it clear that the Soul of Man, the psyche of the human race has a conscious awareness, a knowledge of God. We can bring greater levels of Spirit into the Earth than that of the animal or vegetation because of our self-awareness and consciousness of God.

I know that is a lot to ingest but Jesus was about saving THIS world, not creating an evacuation plan for the next.
Old 23-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Guide

Yahweh or Elohim should be the name of God, i guess. or YHWH. [i started to feel very 'connected' to these names, so i may be biased]
as long as we pray to the correct one, his "name" doesn't matter. as long as we KNOW he is there and that he loves us, his name shouldn't matter.
God told his name to Moses: "I am who I am"

also, thank you amilius777 for a nice clarification.