Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 19-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Master
So what is your shadow side?

So often you hear or read about the importance and value of discovering and embracing your shadow side.
But now what exactly is that? I know it is different for everyone, but what are your specific shadows? Do yo know? Can you name them?

I'm asking because I have difficulty myself with defining my shadows. And even though I'm quite intelligent I sometimes have these weird 'blank' spots or something.
Apart from that it could be interesting to talk about. After all, it is important to know your shadow side as it is part of you. And we hardly ever talk about it.
Old 19-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Master

I would call my 'shadow side' simply my flaws. And I embrace every flaw I have. It's part of the human experience.
Old 19-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Master
I see the shadow self as those parts that we prefer to keep in check, parts that may not be good or healthy if they had free reign, but at the same time they can't be rejected entirely either. Certain emotions, habits and personality aspects..

Old 19-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Master

Indeed. There are the flaws we are conscious of, which we see in ourselves and which are reflected back to us in our everyday lives. And then there are the flaws which exist in our subconscious tendencies. By definition, being subconscious, they are harder to become aware of, but again, we find clues in what creation reflects back at us.

It is difficult to specifically name the shadows, because they include all that is selfish and small and fearful and mean-spirited within us. And I suspect that we all have similar shadows - we are all human.

At some stage everything comes to the surface to be dealt with. The Soul seeks to use the personality as a clear vehicle of expression. As we make contact with the Soul on the spiritual journey, so the Soul exerts pressure on the personality, pushing things to the surface. This is why the spiritual journey can be so difficult, because we come face to face with all our innermost tendencies and all that is unresolved within us. But the more that we can embrace and release our shadow side, the more the light of the Soul can shine forth. And as we see in the physical world, the brighter the light, the sharper and more clearly defined are the shadows.

Peace.
Old 19-05-2019, 09:24 PM
Seeker

You know like in single playing RPG games you can decide play evil or good character or do good/bad things as you see fit. There is no restrictions or any kind of life consequences.. whatever you do in there doesn't matter because nothing is permanent, it's few bytes of data in your computer and you can exit current game and re/start again from beginning.

"Ability" to see the "life" as what I described... From the "outside"... Whatever I do will have some consequences.. were they good or bad... on greater scale they are just experiences...
I know something is "bad", should I do it anyway? I'm looking to have experience of how it is doing something bad while knowing it's bad... and I can't/couldn't wrap my head or figure it any other way than actually do it.

Now, having knowledge/ability to see/know things in that way brings great potential of evil at any moment, in any situation... This i think is my shadow.. gift of freedom and only restriction is my choice.
And I need to be on constant lookout/evaluation of any actions/thoughts to prevent "shadow side" from "overtaking"... sneaking in.

Or did I missed meaning of shadow side?
Old 19-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Gracey

Ignorance that leads to fear.
Old 20-05-2019, 05:43 AM
janielee

Ego ........
Old 20-05-2019, 06:01 AM
Master

It begins with cognition
Of expansion vs contraction
Next discrimination moving from linear to spherical
Choosing the enduring over ephemeral

All that lessens our joy is the shadow
Shadow cast by our imaginary ego

Old 20-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Indeed. There are the flaws we are conscious of, which we see in ourselves and which are reflected back to us in our everyday lives. And then there are the flaws which exist in our subconscious tendencies. By definition, being subconscious, they are harder to become aware of, but again, we find clues in what creation reflects back at us.

It is difficult to specifically name the shadows, because they include all that is selfish and small and fearful and mean-spirited within us. And I suspect that we all have similar shadows - we are all human.

At some stage everything comes to the surface to be dealt with. The Soul seeks to use the personality as a clear vehicle of expression. As we make contact with the Soul on the spiritual journey, so the Soul exerts pressure on the personality, pushing things to the surface. This is why the spiritual journey can be so difficult, because we come face to face with all our innermost tendencies and all that is unresolved within us. But the more that we can embrace and release our shadow side, the more the light of the Soul can shine forth. And as we see in the physical world, the brighter the light, the sharper and more clearly defined are the shadows.

Peace.
I like how you worded and put this together~

Especially this part that you wrote
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
But the more that we can embrace and release our shadow side, the more the light of the Soul can shine forth. And as we see in the physical world, the brighter the light, the sharper and more clearly defined are the shadows.
Old 20-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Ego ........
Great minds think alike

"Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine” -Ralph W. Emerson.

Sitting in the shadows of life

losing faith in my hopes for a brighter day.

Unknowing of the valiant efforts

being made by the sun,

trying to shed its light on me

….

I’ve always believed there was someone out there,

blocking those rays from all angles.

Not only taking in the light

but also walking this road of life

in lieu of me

….

And as i wallow in this pothole

it is he that is soaking in all of the glory,