Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Past Lives & Reincarnation

Old 24-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Suspended
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
And what if consciousness is not generated by brain activity? What if consciousness precedes the physical brain and functions through the brain but does not require the brain in order to exist?

You use the analogy of a radio. To say that the brain generates consciousness is like saying that the program playing on the radio is generated within the radio itself. The radio is just tuning into frequencies which exist outside the radio. So the brain tunes into frequencies of consciousness which exist outside the brain. The arrangements of physical atoms may determine how well the brain functions, but consciousness itself does not depend on any arrangements of physical atoms.

The idea of consciousness being forced into a computer brain shows little understanding of what it means to be a human being.

Peace.
Lemme put it like this:

I see through my eyes, correct? But I do not see through yours. If my physical body is cloned will the consciousness that is inside my body now be transfered over to the cloned body if I died before the clone was made? Probably not because it's no different than the fact that I can't see through your eyes. The clone is an entirely new person, a whole new soul. So even if we believe that there is a cosmic consciousness and we believe that our own consciousness is sourced from God. It doesn't change the fact that for the most part the physical plain of existence matters just as much and determines things by and large.

The list of details of things that the material plane makes a difference on are nearly endless. If Reincarnation exists... why do you think it is that you don't remember your past lives? Some people claim they can, but maybe they're just crazy because 99% of everybody else doesn't experience such memories and even if they're not crazy maybe those memories are exceptions for whatever reason. Maybe God brings that information forward into the next life, shrug. But for the most part you do forget, and I asked if you knew why. Because the reality is I know why and I know science that makes it functionally impossible to remember most of the memories you retain throughout your life: Because Memory is not a function of Consciousness. Memory is in fact a direct function of your physical brain.

Which makes sense because pure consciousness should just be pure observation, and memory implies there is something set in stone. Something concrete being held in place like say the Cells in your brain. We know different areas of the brain are responsible for memory. But it transcends just memory. Like I said the list is endless. Personality, emotions, even Thought itself are likely elements that are /extensions/ of consciousness that only exist due to the Tools inside the physical brain.

Do you think God thinks? If he does, do you think his thoughts are very stylized and personal like an individual human? Or are they cold and bland and straightforward like a Force of Nature? Do you think God has whims? What for, he can't just whim reality to be whatever, there are rules and he can't just make them be whatever willy nilly he wants. Morality is objective, reality is objective. Meaning they are true independent of conscious agency. You don't need God to exist to make Morality or the Laws of The Universe to exist. Just as God could not override them even if he wanted to. There is no room for Free Will in a being that is the pinnacle of all things.

Point being. All the things you ascribe to your humanly experience. As well all the things you even have to identify yourself as unique and "separate" exist solely because of your Brain. It's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. I know exactly where to cut you in your brain to make you a mindless murderer or a rapist. I know how to take away your ability to speak, or to understand others when they speak. I can erase your whole memory, etc. All against your consent, all against your will. You will be stuck in a perpetual torment of doing things your consciousness doesn't want to but your lymbic system forces you to. I can choose what kind of person you are to some degree and there is no doubt in my mind that come 100 years time. Personality Changes will be as common as Hair Cuts.

So when I say your brain "generates" your consciousness. I mean it turns God... into /You/. Which matters, when people are talking about living forever are they talking about being remembered or having to carry on their legacy? Maybe when they think there is no other way to live on. But ultimately what we really mean when we think about immortality... Is that we, the beings staring through our eyes. Keeps going, keeps getting to wake up every day. In that case it becomes very dubious. If it does carry on you won't even know it. The main problem with most of the old world religions' perceptions of Reincarnation. Is that it has all this added stuff. Like people here talking about Moksha.

Nigga I hate to break it to you but. If reincarnation exists you're not learning any lessons ACROSS your multiple lives. The only thing that changes is the external world. The science, the technology. 2000 years ago you would be ****ting in a bucket but now you have a toilet. You have more knowledge? No doubt if Reincarnation exists and you've been here before... you're as /smarter/ as you've ever been. But that seems like something that transcends any 1 of us, and has nothing to do with our personal choices. If today we are a mindless murderer then tomorrow we will be the leader of a nation. Because who we are as an individual is defined by our experiences so if we keep getting a clean slate then we will be completely different each time around.

I may have discovered the philosophical, metaphysical, spiritual, etc realms. But ultimately I will always value Science above all else. It's always what's going to matter no matter what incarnation you are. So that's why when I talk of consciousness, I look to the brain. Because all the people on here holding hands and singing delusions of grandeur about some imaginary "next level" to achieve in the spiritual realm. Cannot compare to a single man who can destroy the entire world with a single mathmatical equation.
Old 25-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Knower
Quote:
This really depends on what we understand by calling or chanting the Name of God. Simply saying Rama or Krishna at the moment of death does not necessarily guarantee immediate moksha. I suggest that chanting the Name of God has a deeper meaning than just uttering a word.

Peace.

I disagree. The name of God is non-different from God. Thoughts of God, for any reason, even in abject hatred have gotten liberation for the subject. Consider Hiranyakashipu. He had an unbridled and passionate hatred and jealousy for Vishnu, to the point that Hiranyakashipu tried repeatedly to kill his own son, a staunch devotee of Vishnu. Having had enough of His devotee in jeopardy Vishnu (as Narasimha) killed Hiranyakashipu. Yet because Vishnu took up so much of Hiranyakashipu's thoughts, even in deep hatred at the moment of death, Vishnu granted Hiranyakashipu liberation.
Old 25-06-2019, 07:34 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainarayan
I disagree. The name of God is non-different from God. Thoughts of God, for any reason, even in abject hatred have gotten liberation for the subject. Consider Hiranyakashipu. He had an unbridled and passionate hatred and jealousy for Vishnu, to the point that Hiranyakashipu tried repeatedly to kill his own son, a staunch devotee of Vishnu. Having had enough of His devotee in jeopardy Vishnu (as Narasimha) killed Hiranyakashipu. Yet because Vishnu took up so much of Hiranyakashipu's thoughts, even in deep hatred at the moment of death, Vishnu granted Hiranyakashipu liberation.

This is simply a story. Perhaps we have to go beyond simple stories and discover the deeper meaning behind them.

Peace.
Old 25-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Knower
Quote:
This is simply a story. Perhaps we have to go beyond simple stories and discover the deeper meaning behind them.

Peace.

The purpose of these stories was to teach and pass along truths. That's what the puranas are. If there is a deeper meaning you know of, I'm happy to entertain it and maybe learn something. However, I find it hard to believe that the typical village Hindu of 500 BCE would ask the village brahmins or guru to analyze the story.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:48 PM
Deactivated Account
@op: what is my current view on Past lives and reincarnation ?
ill try to explain it in this way:

When the body was made, it was made in a foolish attempt to violate one of God's laws (at first).
But if it is understood properly, this attempt was actually a product of series of unfortunate cause and effect relations.

Like when you are reading a good book, the author started it with the first thought, then continued writing, until was done.

Basically, when the body was made, the laws of God could not be violated, and God being God did not allowed the total destruction of it.
So an "EXPERIENCE" of what death would be like was made:

Material - as opposition to Spiritual - body was made up.
Memory - as opposition to Unchanging Knowledge which God is.
Time - or delay as opposition to the Eternity.
And many bodies as opposed to the Unity, which God really is.

Now, while in the bodies, each of us appears to be 'Trapped' in a re-"Cycling" state, always seeking for happiness where it is not found.

But there is only 1 mistake that needs to be corrected.

Because what is immortal, can NOT die. Immortality is a constant, unchanging state. And God is accessible to everyone of us, in each and every millisecond.

Reincarnation is therefore real, but do not count to be able to reincarnate in a future. Because you can reincarnate in some past event, as time is not really real.
And do not count that you will reincarnate in a Human body. Because there are many other animal, insect etc etc which you could reincarnate in.
Therefore your only hope is to find and correct that one error, which is keeping you away from God. And that you can do best NOW.
Old 24-08-2019, 01:50 PM
Strangerthanfiction

I don't believe in punishment or karma. In my view the law of love prevents the law of karma from existing because the law of karma feels very unloving.

Your spirit guides may recommend that you take on another life but its up to you if you want to follow through and reincarnate. No one's forcing you. This is what i think.

Some things in life is pre planned and some not. Law of attraction plays a part in life too. You attract what you resonate with. I don't believe any human can choose whatever human he wishes to reincarnate as because if you are less developed living a very spiritual life as for example a lama won't work. Some countries have overall come further in their spiritual development then certain other countries. In life you should live as good as possible because you create your afterlife by how you live on earth.

Don't take anything i say at face value though. There's many ideas out there. I am flexible and are ready to change some beliefs i hold that i don't have personal proof of. I've already had to confront certain beliefs by good counter arguments.
Old 24-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerthanfiction
I don't believe in punishment or karma. In my view the law of love prevents the law of karma from existing because the law of karma feels very unloving.

Your spirit guides may recommend that you take on another life but its up to you if you want to follow through and reincarnate. No one's forcing you. This is what i think.

Or we could stop thinking about the law of karma in terms of rewards and punishments. Instead we can consider karma in terms of restoring balance. And at the moment humanity is very out of balance, which makes me wonder what might need to happen to restore balance to this planet.

It is not the personality that chooses to incarnate. So our personal beliefs are irrelevant. I suspect that it is a Soul decision - consciousness has its own purpose.

Peace
Old 25-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Strangerthanfiction

Quote:
Or we could stop thinking about the law of karma in terms of rewards and punishments. Instead we can consider karma in terms of restoring balance. And at the moment humanity is very out of balance, which makes me wonder what might need to happen to restore balance to this planet.

It is not the personality that chooses to incarnate. So our personal beliefs are irrelevant. I suspect that it is a Soul decision - consciousness has its own purpose.

Peace

Restoring balance to me is just restoring balance and has nothing to do with the concept of karma. Restoring balance is a choice that one make. Either restoring balance in one's own life or trying to restore balance on the planet. If you mean karma in the sense that a murderer will take the role of the victim in the next life and the victim will play the part of the murderer like Robert Schwartz think then i disagree because if that's how it works then it means that it is okay to murder someone and to me murdering people is never an okay thing. About personality, I don't know actually. Spirits has personalities aswell as those who never incarnated. So when someone is gonna incarnate do we leave the personality in the spirit world and then we get a new personality by the brain when we incarnate? Or do we incarnate with our spiritual personality and then our spiritual personality is altered by culture, society, family, friends, social media and school? Or do we incarnate with our spiritual personality and then also get a personality by the brain which may overtake the spiritual personality so that the spiritual personality become dormant? Or is the brain's personality smaller if we have one? As we take our personality with us the question is how much do we take with us?. Some people who has been mean regret it when they die. Often people are mean in life because of things that happened. But for example some are born with a psychopathic personality so do these people take their personality with them? Psychopathic personality can be genetic sometimes so it comes from or atleast can come from the brain so therefore if we take the personality from our brains with us then logically they do too. We know some spirits are called 'evil spirits' because they dwell in hellish locations and do evil stuff. Were many of these psychopaths in life? Also if we take the personality from our brain with us then how long do we keep that personality? Every spirit in an astral hell can get out of it and change for the better so this means if personality can come from the brain then atleast some personality from the brain won't last forever. Atleast not if we choose to leave some parts of our brain's personalities behind us. There are many disorders that can be genetic so the brain can have a personality. But what if it actually doesn't? What if what i just said was wrong? If personality comes from the brain then we shouldn't really be able to take it with us because it belongs to the brain but we know spirits can retain all their personality and we know those who has NDEs recognise their family members personalities. I'm sorry for writing all this and you don't need to respond to these questions. Its just that i get carried away in my philosophy when people say things.

Maybe i misunderstood what you mean and maybe you never meant that we don't incarnate with the personality but that its only that the personality doesn't choose if the spirit is gonna incarnate? Personally i think we are in full control over the decision to incarnate and i would never let anyone decide over me. Sorry if i misunderstand things by the way. My brain has been thinking alot lately and my eyes are red and i feel like the blue light from the computer is making me confused.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Newbie ;)

I believe I am the creator of whatever reality I am experiencing. I like the idea of being able / having the option to come back to Earth if I were to leave this life. So if I want that to happen then it can happen. That's pretty much all it takes for me. I dont believe there is a punishment after death for having done anything wrong, just because I dont see the point of that. If someone dies believing they will be punished, then I believe they will be punished simply based on their belief that it will happen, but they would realize they're punishing themselves and then stop, lol.