Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Guide
How do you define what is ego driven?

This might sound like a simple question, but really consider it. There's many types of meanings people take on with ego, but the context I mean it in is this. How do you define what comes from a place of peace, or what's driven by a false sense of self?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 PM
amy green

One immediate answer that occurs is that what comes from ego (which is how the self is known, i.e. illusory) is self-centred -
the I, me, my syndrome. What comes from "a place of peace"/our spirit is more directed towards others.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 AM
peacegarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verunia
This might sound like a simple question, but really consider it. There's many types of meanings people take on with ego, but the context I mean it in is this. How do you define what comes from a place of peace, or what's driven by a false sense of self?

We learn, bit by bit. When me make decisions based on ego, they never seem to bring about peace, but another lesson to learn.

Whatever drives you, go with that, and remain completely aware. I don't see that being driven by ego is a bad thing so long as we are vigilant enough to learn from it. If we truly learn, then that which is ego driven will fall away in time, and we will be very wise from our lessons.

That which comes from a place of peace seems to slot into place perfectly with the now, and it brings about more peace. That which comes from the ego strives to be somewhere other than the now, and brings about suffering in some way. Perhaps we get where we wanted to be, but then there is now somewhere else we need to be, because that didn't satisfy. That is usually ego.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Mathew

G'day Verunia

I agree with both the previous responses......the ego doesn't enter into true spiritual awareness/development for if it does in any way it's not true, oneself is never put before others unless a lesson is meant to be learnt by others.

Example: A true spiritualist comes across a person who is starving, does he give he's last bit of food to the starving person or does he not? He doesn't if he feels it will do no good, karma could be at play & it does no good to interfere with other people’s karma but on the other hand if he feels it will do well then he will give what he has without recourse.

If your will is not focused on self-serving then you know it’s from a place of peace but if it’s for self-serving then it’s not. Most western spiritual teachings which come from the east anyway & are adapted to serve the ego which is of course is mostly financially driven by the host & are based to boost your ego in many ways, we need to get back to the grass roots of spirituality which worked fine for many years before westerners started adapting these proven spiritual practices to serve themselves.

Love
Mathew
Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Master
I like what peacegarden says as it's all really quite subtle on the edge of the the ego dimishing. We could say that not thinking really takes the core out of the ego but under thinking lies intention and my guess is this is the realm of the emotional body with the proviso that it's all just energy and such defined differences as egos, emotional bodies etc most probably don't exist as defined differences but are all matters of degrees.

Anyways it's all very subtle and when we start to watch our thinking it can become fairly obvious what is outright ego thinking but self centred thinking that is leading us towards selfless and less self identifying thinking is somewhat more subtle... I suppose feeling really starts to come into it. Again watching our thinking and being more aware of the feelings that come with such can give us a better indication that the thinking that we're doing is of a selfless nature... and less thinking.

Less thinking creates the space for feeling and when thinking comes from feeling I think we're all better attuned to our higher self and so such thinking is always for our betterment.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 AM
goldie08

Angel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verunia
-------

Just adding more thoughts to what's already posted.

I like the definition given by "Bashar" (i.e. in youtube): the ego is there for a purpose and we should learn to negotiate with it instead of deprecating it. Ego refers to the personal self and conscientious ego is there to tend to our needs (hunger, sleep, outer interaction, etc.) and does a fair job of it. The only time it becomes a hindrance is when it wants to be dominant, to run the show solo, but it's not created for taking the reins. It is the higher Self that must lead, thus ego has to work in tandem with the higher Self to obtain the best results. In the Bible it is stated as "to walk with God," meaning our personal self is to function in unison with our higher consciousness.

---------
Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM
skeptical

The definition of the term ego has changed enough so that I am no lonter sure of it's meaning. From what I read here, I am guessing ego is that part of us controlled by needs, wants, fears, hidden agendas we hold, in short everything that keeps us from being who we truly are. It seems the divine self is our true self.

I do find that being my true authentic self does bring much peace. Underlying all my surface emotions is this sense of peace and joy that is constant. As for terminology people like to use, I am learning...
Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Master

Hi Verunia,

'Ego' is the formal, functional, phenomenal ignorance of its own divinity - in the individuated being.
It is the 'false self' in the sense that it is conditionally limited, bound by its own ignorance, not functionally fully 'complete' in terms of access to consciousness. Fortunately, this is not a permanent condition.

What has and is itself true peace and freedom always gives and allows that peace and freedom, whether in others or within oneself - because in oneness it has an awareness of those intrinsic unlimited qualities within all life and all individuals.

It is the ego which is driven by its own sense of separated self which is actually fearful of that freedom, and seeks continued limitation and conflict in order to preserve the false, incomplete identity. So among the characteristics of what is ego-driven is any attempted insistence, coercion, containment, limitation, etc., whether forcefully or subtly so - whether based on fear, insecurity, suspicion, jealousy, etc. - all due to its own conditional and very limited 'identity'. This usually feels like a 'violation' vs. an unconditional acceptance and allowance. Spirit is not assertive in that way, does not force nor does it operate from fear.

~ J

Last edited by Jyotir : 08-12-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Don't be distracted by the story of 'ego'.. it is who you are, if you don't like it change it, but.. don't dwell in the stories 'about' it.. be who you are, and you are not someone else's 'story'.. if the you you are isn't the you you want to be, 'do' something about it.. analyzing ego stories keeps you trapped in the 'story'..

Be well..
Old 08-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Mathew

G’day Verunia

Firstly I think that the ego is our persona & what defines an egotistical person is there strong persona.

I’ve made peace with the my ego/persona so to me a place of peace is accepting the persona/ego being an important part of me, without the ego what is there to spur you on because bettering yourself in anyway is of the ego no matter what otherwise we would just stagnate. By accepting this supposed horrid ego/persona I feel more at one & at peace, if your continually battling against the persona/ego you are never really going to be at peace.

A lot of people get the ego confused with a strong persona but at times one needs to be strong to get there message across, I personally don't have a problem with this now, I did but I don't' now as I understand the persona better. In saying this there are strong persona's/ego's that are destructive which we need to weed out to make a more peaceful life for ourselves.

Take myself for instance, I never said boo for many years & now I am, why? Because I am constructively driven by the ego to make myself known to hopefully better myself & others as well, without the ego I would be stagnating.

Love
Mathew