Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 23-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
I know many mental health workers, a minority of which are interested in the dynamics of conditions, (rather than just the chemical approach), and the effects of the fragmentation of Ego, and the origin and meaning of the term which is certainly relevant to the concerns in spiritual circles to eliminate the Ego. There is no agreement about the meaning of the word to facilitate discussion. There is no point simply repeating different definitions. Be well and good luck.
And this is why the Spiritual discussion is such a mess with no clear understanding of what's being discussed. Elimination of the ego is only the mainstream definition of the ego on steroids, which people are intentionally ignorant of.

Good luck with that, because it's not Spiritual.
Old 23-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
So from a Spiritual perspective, what happens when a Spiritual person takes a word from another area of understanding, redefines it for the sake of their own agenda of superiority and simply causes confusion and ignorance? When there is another Spirituality correct term that gives understanding and insight but is ignored so that people can use there own definitions of the Spiritually incorrect word?

What are the reasons you use the word 'ego' and not the Sanskrit 'Ahamcara'? Or are you so unaware that you're not talking about ego after all, you're talking about yourself?

Many of us are quite comfortable using the term ego in a spiritual context pertaining to the limiting identification with the illusory personality. It is you who insists that the term ego should only be used in a psychoanalytical context. People are free to use the term however they understand it.

I avoid using the term ahamkara (meaning the tendency to self-reference) precisely because it is a Sanskrit term which will mean little to most people.

I suspect that when you talk about an agenda of superiority you are simply projecting onto others that which exists within yourself.

Peace
Old 23-03-2020, 10:19 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Many of us are quite comfortable using the term ego in a spiritual context pertaining to the limiting identification with the illusory personality. It is you who insists that the term ego should only be used in a psychoanalytical context. People are free to use the term however they understand it.

I avoid using the term ahamkara (meaning the tendency to self-reference) precisely because it is a Sanskrit term which will mean little to most people.

I suspect that when you talk about an agenda of superiority you are simply projecting onto others that which exists within yourself.

Peace
The personality isn't illusory. Where does your beliefs come from? And you can't do anything but self-reference because it's all you.
Old 23-03-2020, 10:23 AM
Master

Quote:
And this is why the Spiritual discussion is such a mess with no clear understanding of what's being discussed. Elimination of the ego is only the mainstream definition of the ego on steroids, which people are intentionally ignorant of.

Good luck with that, because it's not Spiritual.

No-one knows so cannot judge the internal life of another particularly in terms of what may or may not be a spiritual concern for them. If you feel you can and wish to indulge in doing so, I have no interest in that.
Old 23-03-2020, 10:53 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
No-one knows so cannot judge the internal life of another particularly in terms of what may or may not be a spiritual concern for them. If you feel you can and wish to indulge in doing so, I have no interest in that.
Interesting that you see it as judgement. Creating your own definitions for words and ignoring established definitions and understandings is no longer a Spiritual concern, it's not Spirituality but personality. Perhaps you'd like to discuss how Spiritual the practice of creating a reality based on what is intentionally ignored impacts on self-awareness?
Old 23-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Master

Quote:
Interesting that you see it as judgement. Creating your own definitions for words and ignoring established definitions and understandings is no longer a Spiritual concern, it's not Spirituality but personality. Perhaps you'd like to discuss how Spiritual the practice of creating a reality based on what is intentionally ignored impacts on self-awareness?

Explore your conditioning that has resulted in this desire to undermine all opposition to your point of view rather than simply reach mutual understanding which is already clear between us. No point in repeaing it. My own guess is that you project onto others what has been condemned as unacceptable in yourself. Reflect on this on your own as there will be no further response from me, no matter what your reply. We are done. Be well and good luck.
Old 23-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Explore your conditioning that has resulted in this desire to undermine all opposition to your point of view rather than simply reach mutual understanding which is already clear between us. No point in repeaing it. My own guess is that you project onto others what has been condemned as unacceptable in yourself. Reflect on this on your own as there will be no further response from me, no matter what your reply. We are done. Be well and good luck.
Yes we are, and thank you for the judgement.
Old 23-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Many of us are quite comfortable using the term ego in a spiritual context pertaining to the limiting identification with the illusory personality. [...]
Not a controversy in spiritual context. Including...
Quote:
[...] talk about an agenda of superiority[...] simply projecting
Yes...This is a common and fascinating phenomenon.... the inverted significance of ego for staunch atheists.

In that case, God is the illusory "Personality" who must be dismissed as "unreal", because God would therefore be a challenge to ego/ahamkara (<- take your pick as they are the same for purposes of spiritual discussion).... while ego is elevated by its own exclusive (i.e., superior) existential necessity for self-perpetuation, etc. In that case it is anathema that personality could be illusion, e.g. I wouldn't exist!!! (scary). Thus the confusion persists:
God doesn't exist; ego is my God; human personality cannot embody illusion; rather, God is the illusion.
Quote:
Peace
Perhaps only an illusory personality would see peace as a problem.

~ J
Old 24-03-2020, 09:27 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
Not a controversy in spiritual context. Including... Yes...This is a common and fascinating phenomenon.... the inverted significance of ego for staunch atheists.

In that case, God is the illusory "Personality" who must be dismissed as "unreal", because God would therefore be a challenge to ego/ahamkara (<- take your pick as they are the same for purposes of spiritual discussion).... while ego is elevated by its own exclusive (i.e., superior) existential necessity for self-perpetuation, etc. In that case it is anathema that personality could be illusion, e.g. I wouldn't exist!!! (scary). Thus the confusion persists:
God doesn't exist; ego is my God; human personality cannot embody illusion; rather, God is the illusion.
Perhaps only an illusory personality would see peace as a problem.

~ J
You should leave the psychoanalysis alone Jyotir, because you're only perpetuating ignorance. If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that the ego derives status from its belief in God as much as it derives status from thinking it knows what the ego is.

What so many don't seem to realise is that ego is a reflection of their own judgements and limitations.
Old 27-03-2020, 09:57 AM
Master

Whatever definition of Ego is preferred, from a nondual spiritual perspective, it will be Oneness manifesting as such so no need to overcome Ego for wholeness purposes.