Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 19-06-2018, 09:18 PM
Master

Attracting Grace

Most Christians ascribe to the belief that we are saved by grace. I do also. I also believe for the broader community that any genuine awakening is also dependent on grace. Intellectual efforts can only take one just so far. To be spiritual is dependent on having a spiritual experience...i.e. grace.

If one is to acknowledge the necessity of grace should we not examine ways to attract grace? Or is this even possible...or is it scriptural? I have seen little discussion specific to this one these forums. Caveat: Frequently I am gone so I do not follow every posting.

When I first pondered this question, I thought that a practice of conscious gratitude might be conducive to receiving grace......it might be. However, examining the Bible seems to point to a primary and emphasized reason: Humility.

James 4:6-10..........specifically vs. 6......"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble". Also........Phillipians 2:5-8........."Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearace as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death---even death on a cross."

It bothers me just a little bit on these forums how often people have seemed to convince themselves that they are God. I believe that we all have a divine spark within us.........but often it is unrealized and almost never directs our every action.

By the way.......anytime I see the word "servant" in the Bible I think of one that is both humble and obedient. Notably, Job comes to mind. God referred to Job as 'my servant Job'. At the conclusion of Job, Job received a full measure of the grace of God.

I would be interested if others have specific thoughts about means or methods for attracting grace.
Old 19-06-2018, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
At times when we are beyond the natural Ego, we may attract Grace, if there is a purity of Heart and intent, and the Heart is focused on loving principles. "Service" is always a way to be as near to Grace as we can.

But those are my own thoughts about it. I think to "work toward" the state of Grace by striving for it as an end in itself is the anathema of what Grace is.

It is a gift, often unexpected , and I feel results from a true attunement with Divine principles. Though in many of us, such states are quite brief. Though not impossible to experience.

But just as we cannot demand that such a gift is given, we will probably not even be thinking of it....but rather thinking of how best we might serve in truth and Love....when it comes to visit!
Old 19-06-2018, 11:15 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Most Christians ascribe to the belief that we are saved by grace. I do also. I also believe for the broader community that any genuine awakening is also dependent on grace. Intellectual efforts can only take one just so far. To be spiritual is dependent on having a spiritual experience...i.e. grace.

If one is to acknowledge the necessity of grace should we not examine ways to attract grace? Or is this even possible...or is it scriptural? I have seen little discussion specific to this one these forums. Caveat: Frequently I am gone so I do not follow every posting.

When I first pondered this question, I thought that a practice of conscious gratitude might be conducive to receiving grace......it might be. However, examining the Bible seems to point to a primary and emphasized reason: Humility.

James 4:6-10..........specifically vs. 6......"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble". Also........Phillipians 2:5-8........."Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearace as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death---even death on a cross."

It bothers me just a little bit on these forums how often people have seemed to convince themselves that they are God. I believe that we all have a divine spark within us.........but often it is unrealized and almost never directs our every action.

By the way.......anytime I see the word "servant" in the Bible I think of one that is both humble and obedient. Notably, Job comes to mind. God referred to Job as 'my servant Job'. At the conclusion of Job, Job received a full measure of the grace of God.

I would be interested if others have specific thoughts about means or methods for attracting grace.

You mentioned gratitude - in my own personal experience gratitude seems to attract and foster that sense of grace.

For it is almost as though grace is always present but gratitude can a doorway in.

When I was sparked office initially to find my way back home - it happened through the grace of another in gratitude and appreciation for who I am - someone worthy of god's love...

Then in turn my gratitude for that experience has fostered more... Of that sense of grace into my life.
Old 20-06-2018, 03:32 PM
Master

[quote=Tobi I think to "work toward" the state of Grace by striving for it as an end in itself is the anathema of what Grace is.

[/QUOTE]

Tobi,

I completely agree. Any idea of 'works' being the means to grace is, indeed, totally contradictory to the definition of grace. A truly humble person could never harbor the idea that his goodness is worthy of reward. It is always helpful to remember the story of the Pharisee and the publican(Luke 18:9-14). As you might remember, the Pharisee chose to make a public display of his righteousness.......the publican, on the other hand, stood at a distance and acknowledged his shortcomings. The passage concludes with these words......"For every one that exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted".

Additionally, one can refer to the love chapter(1 Cor. 13) and realize that one who is without love(or without humility) is but a 'clanging cymbal'.
Old 20-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldheart
You mentioned gratitude - in my own personal experience gratitude seems to attract and foster that sense of grace.

For it is almost as though grace is always present but gratitude can a doorway in.

Then in turn my gratitude for that experience has fostered more... Of that sense of grace into my life.

emeraldheart,

Absolutely....!! It definitely becomes apparent that an attidue of gratitude seems to attract more and more things to be grateful for.......:)
Old 20-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Master
What is grace?
Old 20-06-2018, 04:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
What is grace?

Something which Western spirituality is strong on while Eastern isn't.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 20-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Something which Western spirituality is strong on while Eastern isn't.

So grace is ' strong ' ? In what way, physically or mentally?