Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 27-05-2021, 02:33 AM
Experiencer

Idolatry?

I'm an artist and highly creative.. Today I thought about taking the Qualities of God like, Love, Joy, Goodness, Kindness and so on. Take each one of these and draw a Being that is beautiful kind of like an Angel but a bodily being that represents an extension and quality of God.. And use them to meditate on the Qualities of God. Question is.. Is this Idolatry?
Old 27-05-2021, 05:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex
And use them to meditate on the Qualities of God. Question is.. Is this Idolatry?

Not at all
Old 27-05-2021, 06:21 AM
Master
Depends on which version of Christianity you resonate with. Just ask the 'ones in charge'. You should get an answer.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 27-05-2021, 09:33 AM
Ascender
I already have such a picture, of my guru Neem Karoli Baba:
https://i.imgur.com/SCk6Uct.jpg
I see love in this pic.
Neem Karoli Baba was a saint who did miracles like giving eyesight to blind, resurrecting a person, turning water to ghee, etc.
I have another pic (painting), this one of Krishna, in which i see the quality of Not being affected by materialism:
https://i.imgur.com/ykQ9jA8.jpg
Old 27-05-2021, 01:33 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex
I'm an artist and highly creative.. Today I thought about taking the Qualities of God like, Love, Joy, Goodness, Kindness and so on. Take each one of these and draw a Being that is beautiful kind of like an Angel but a bodily being that represents an extension and quality of God.. And use them to meditate on the Qualities of God. Question is.. Is this Idolatry?

I think many of us struggle with this question. "Should I be good or appear to be good?" Now this question no one asks. But isn't this the real question?

We know what is good, because we feel it. But we are afraid that others will judge us to be otherwise if we do not follow the established rules of what is deemed to be good.

It's a personal choice to go your own path or follow the group you want to belong to. You already know the answer.

Blessings,
Z
Old 04-06-2021, 07:05 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zastrakoza
I think many of us struggle with this question. "Should I be good or appear to be good?" Now this question no one asks. But isn't this the real question?

We know what is good, because we feel it. But we are afraid that others will judge us to be otherwise if we do not follow the established rules of what is deemed to be good.

It's a personal choice to go your own path or follow the group you want to belong to. You already know the answer.

Blessings,
Z

Zastrakoza,

Someone on a different thread correctly pointed out that there is a difference between ‘being’ and ‘doing’. How does one change his own being ? iMO to make spiritual progress one should value a process of subtraction instead of a process of addition. Subtract the layers that have accumulated which obscure and hide your real self. Think of babies and love. When I interact with a baby my ego is non-existent....I am trying to impress or try to hide any feelings. I am responding with love because that is what I perceive. When you look at another and can perceive the ‘baby’ in them you are making progress in changing your being.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:00 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
How does one change his own being ? iMO to make spiritual progress one should value a process of subtraction instead of a process of addition.

This seems to be the wisest approach and is taught by many esteemed teachers. It may be easier to recognize what we are not than it is to recognize what we are until we come to a deeper understanding of the real self.

Therefore, it can be difficult to discern the most expedient path forward. But I am of the mind that all choices yield a positive result eventually, for we are all students in self realization.

Blessings,
Z
Old 05-06-2021, 01:30 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zastrakoza
This seems to be the wisest approach and is taught by many esteemed teachers. It may be easier to recognize what we are not than it is to recognize what we are until we come to a deeper understanding of the real self.

Therefore, it can be difficult to discern the most expedient path forward. But I am of the mind that all choices yield a positive result eventually, for we are all students in self realization.

Blessings,
Z

Z,

I like that with the unstated assumption that we learn from our choices. Then ‘praise God in all things’ makes sense.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 AM
Master
Interesting question. Answer depends on whom you ask. Christianity has a history of pictures and statues, though some denominations (usually hardline Protestant) are strictly against it. Ironically, some seem big pals of Muslims, it seems.

This could boil down to how one defines 'worship'. Do you view the pictures as being god or gods? Do they have that quality in them? Or are they just representations, ''just pictures''?

I believe it's a grey area. Some people will be obsessed with this and see idolatry everywhere, and other people will view pictures and statues as merely imagery and representations, but not actual divinity. Then there are others that do believe the representation is divine. What do you believe?
Old 05-06-2021, 03:41 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair

This could boil down to how one defines 'worship'. Do you view the pictures as being god or gods? Do they have that quality in them? Or are they just representations, ''just pictures''?

What do you believe?

Altair,

I think it boils down to how one defines 'idols'. For me I see idols as that which draws one's attention and devotion. These can be obsessions(pursuit of wealth, status, approval etc) or can be addictions(sex, alcohol, drugs, gambling etc.) People often choose to believe the literal understanding of idols(golden calf, statues, art) so they can pride themselves as not believing in those things.

For instance I have carvings of Christ the Redeemer, St. Francis, the Lady of Guadalupe, etc. What do I think of when I notice them ? First is usually where I got them....what country, what city, what store....if we ate somewhere near to that and at that time. At the moment of purchase I think of the inspiration and motivation of the artist. For me they becomes momentos. If I look at them in a more spiritual way I am reminded to remember the divine. I would guess that most of the voodow dolls that people display are also souvenirs.

Some of the art work that we have is from friends and relatives. When I look at that I am reminded of everything that is good about them....not what a great landscape they have painted, etc. Not being an expert in art appreciation I marvel first at the ability and inspiration of others to deliver a message in art, music, poetry etc. If I am lucky or gifted all of those give me a glimpse into the soul of the artist. The scriptures and parables are similar works of art.....their true meaning is obscured by the literal mind.