Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 PM
Master
Edward Selim Michael - Law of Attention

I was recently introduced to Edward Selim Michael by a very spiritually-insightful Jewish woman who has hosted Quaker and Buddhist groups for as long as I have known her. I recently finished reading Michael's book, "The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance". He clearly states that the aim of the book is "direct inner experience" and that is what attracted me to him. My own spiritual mentor of over 30 years once said, "Question everything, even what I say... and, if a teacher can't point you to the direct experiences, then go elsewhere". Edward Selim Michael seems to be such a being who points one to the direct inner experiences. I just ordered another one of Michael's books, "Obstacles to Enlightenment and Liberation", because he warns against getting into comfortable, familiar ruts and I plan to use his book as a checklist to see what tendencies I may have that could be holding me back. Michael seems to be a man who has been there and not just some one pontificating grand theories and quoting the masters but one who speaks from direct inner experiences.

I wasn't sure where to post this topic and almost put it in the Buddhism section because "It was to Buddhism that he felt closest, but as his teaching was based on his direct experience, he did not hesitate to quote Christian, Hindu, or Sufi mystics." This seemed to be the most appropriate section for posting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Salim_Michael

To get the discussion going, I will include without comment a few quotes from his book, "The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance". (Note that I have replaced the masculine word "he" in the quotes by "one".)

1. "The aim of this book is to help seekers arrive at recognizing, through direct inner experience, their higher nature and the after-death state, the state from which they originated and to which they will return on leaving this form of existence."

2. "Without perhaps realizing it, one will then start to sleep inwardly again, thinking that one is still working by being merely satisfied with the intellectual knowledge and memory of certain limited spiritual experiences one may have had in the past."

3. "If, during meditation, this luminous expanse of consciousness becomes adulterated and diluted in the slightest degree with one's habitual state, it will then inevitably cease to be Truth."

4. "It will be readily evident to one who has practiced meditation seriously and has had enlightenment that what was right and necessary at the beginning of one's quest will no longer be right or practical later".
Old 12-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Master
I just received my second book by Edward Selim Michael (Obstacles to Enlightenment and Liberation) and he's quite direct with his opening statements.

"It must be noted that currently, in the West and even in India, most seekers have only a superficial understanding of what spiritual practice really involves.

It is common to hear beginners speaking of 'felicity (Ananda) or 'devotional love' (bhakiti) as if the simple fact of using these words were sufficient to come to experiences these out-of-the-ordinary states".

I too have noticed this when I try to speak to those who present as "spiritual people" but actually lack depth and direct experiences when one tries to go past the lofty sounding words and theories. From the little that I've read thus far in this book, I can readily see some habits and tendencies in myself that require attention even after having practiced for over 30 years under a widely revered sage
Old 13-01-2019, 02:58 AM
Master

Thanks for this reference, Still Waters. Not someone I had ever come across, which surprised me. I had a quick look on Amazon and it looked interesting so I now have The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance and also the biography of Edward Salim Michael by Michele Michael.

Always a pleasure to find an interesting book.

Peace.
Old 13-01-2019, 05:38 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I too have noticed this when I try to speak to those who present as "spiritual people" but actually lack depth and direct experiences when one tries to go past the lofty sounding words and theories.

There are "traps" in many ways.
Old 13-01-2019, 07:07 AM
Master
Quote:
I just received my second book by Edward Selim Michael (Obstacles to Enlightenment and Liberation) and he's quite direct with his opening statements.

"It must be noted that currently, in the West and even in India, most seekers have only a superficial understanding of what spiritual practice really involves.

It is common to hear beginners speaking of 'felicity (Ananda) or 'devotional love' (bhakiti) as if the simple fact of using these words were sufficient to come to experiences these out-of-the-ordinary states".

I too have noticed this when I try to speak to those who present as "spiritual people" but actually lack depth and direct experiences when one tries to go past the lofty sounding words and theories. From the little that I've read thus far in this book, I can readily see some habits and tendencies in myself that require attention even after having practiced for over 30 years under a widely revered sage

He has Composed some beautiful music
Old 13-01-2019, 11:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Thanks for this reference, Still Waters. Not someone I had ever come across, which surprised me. I had a quick look on Amazon and it looked interesting so I now have The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance and also the biography of Edward Salim Michael by Michele Michael.

Always a pleasure to find an interesting book.

Peace.

I had never heard of Edward Selim Michael either until a very insightful spiritual friend introduced me to him. My "The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance" book is all marked up with positive cross-references.

I just ordered and have received another one of his books, "Obstacles to Enlightenment and Liberation". I just started reading it. It's one of those books that one does not read at one sitting. Although I'm only at the very beginning, I notice that sometimes I read a single paragraph or even a single sentence before putting it down to reflect. I particularly like this book written by some one who seems to "be there" (so to speak) because it gives me the opportunity to identify obstacles that I may have succumbed to and perhaps am still in a "spiritual rut" in some cases. The first chapter, "The Trap of the Intellect", definitely addresses an area that my spiritual mentor got me through despite great resistance from "intellectual me" at that time. I have no idea what I will discover about myself in this book, but I'm eager to find out. Edward Selim Michael doesn't pull punches but goes straight to the point, and I LOVE THAT.

I hope that you enjoy the book as much as I did ..... and still do.
Old 13-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
He has Composed some beautiful music

You are correct that Edward Selim Michael is also a composer, but I have yet to listen to any of his compositions. That should be interesting as he does seem to favor harmonious symphonic music though he adds that, nowadays, "symphonic music ... has become a glacial series of synthetic sounds, lacking in any aesthetic emotion capable of elevating the listener".

Now, you've encouraged me to listen to some of his musical compositions.
Old 13-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Master
Quote:
You are correct that Edward Selim Michael is also a composer, but I have yet to listen to any of his compositions. That should be interesting as he does seem to favor harmonious symphonic music though he adds that, nowadays, "symphonic music ... has become a glacial series of synthetic sounds, lacking in any aesthetic emotion capable of elevating the listener".

Now, you've encouraged me to listen to some of his musical compositions.

' Now, you've encouraged me to listen to some of his musical compositions.[/quote] '

While reading your book, just in the background, then you have the best of both worlds, ' but you might not like the music '
Old 14-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
' Now, you've encouraged me to listen to some of his musical compositions.
'

While reading your book, just in the background, then you have the best of both worlds, ' but you might not like the music ' [/quote]

I had a mixed reaction to his music. Perhaps, I should just stick to reading his books. I may, however, listen to some of his online videos to get more of a spontaneous sense of the man.

I really preferring contact with those who "are there" (so to speak) as opposed to a lot of the theorizing and pontificating that takes place in so-called spiritual forums.
Old 14-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Master
Quote:
'

While reading your book, just in the background, then you have the best of both worlds, ' but you might not like the music '

I had a mixed reaction to his music. Perhaps, I should just stick to reading his books. I may, however, listen to some of his online videos to get more of a spontaneous sense of the man.

I really preferring contact with those who "are there" (so to speak) as opposed to a lot of the theorizing and pontificating that takes place in so-called spiritual forums. [/quote]

You enjoy your books I'm sure you will. I might have a look at the Videos, I actually enjoy Spiritual Teachings by listening rather than reading. I find If I close my eyes and let the words flow over me, like water in the shower, they sink in better.