Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 13-07-2012, 12:04 AM
TeeHee

So true Christians are New Age Christians, and they do not consider themselves to be Christian but of a free mind.

Thanks for your input and take care.
Old 13-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Sybilline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
  1. What are any distinctions between Christianity and the New Age Movement?
  2. How do they relate to each other? Do they contradict each other or compliment each other?
  3. I often find that Scriptures must be reinterpreted or rejected in order to conform with New Age thought. So the next question is, how do you determine what Scriptures are to be rejected and which ones are to be supported? An example of this can be found in John 14:16.
  4. Do you consider yourself a New Age Christian? If so, how do you distinguish yourselves from "conservative" Christians? And if you are a Christian how do you distinguish yourself from New Ageism?
  5. How do you handle arguments in reference to scriptural meaning, that is when encountering the other side, Christian or New Age?
  6. Last Question, as a New Age follower who do you draw from as your most inspirational author? example Shirley Maclaine. Same question to Christians, I'm looking for Authors of an extrabiblical nature.

1. Depends, traditional Christianity is more about reward/punishment, the new ones I have noticed don't really differ much from New Age, except the focus is more on Jesus's teachings and not too much paranormal.

2. This greatly depends on the interpretation. Some New Age practitioners do not believe in punishment, and most Christians still do. But there are also Christians that don't believe in this concept anymore.

3. Yes that is true. They are reinterpreted and rejected---- but I disagree on the idea that this is to conform, i.e., fit-in to the New Age concept. I think we just evolve. As for how to determine it, people still use their personal judgments. Each Christian sect have each their own different interpretations. Homosexuality is starting to become acceptable. That's good, that's evolution. It's all about whether someone accepts it or not and if the bible's words can be reinterpreted in a different manner to fit that judgment, then so be it. I can understand why they do this. The Bible is much too Ancient, much too Sacred to them, for them to simply bin it. Why bin such an important part of the world's history when you can simply read it from another angle?

I personally enjoy reinterpreting most of the words in the Scripture. It's a great way to honour it.

4. I might as well, as I was raised as one, and the Bible is really the only religious/spiritual book I know that much about. At the same time I am not, as I do not place Jesus above any other Master, but still hold him in high respect.

5. I prefer to stay in the neutral. I have a knack for seeing both sides of the story, or at the very least I make an effort to do so. That's usually how I handle all arguments.

6. Neale Donald Walsch... :))
Old 13-07-2012, 02:21 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybilline
1. Depends, traditional Christianity is more about reward/punishment, the new ones I have noticed don't really differ much from New Age, except the focus is more on Jesus's teachings and not too much paranormal.

2. This greatly depends on the interpretation. Some New Age practitioners do not believe in punishment, and most Christians still do. But there are also Christians that don't believe in this concept anymore.

3. Yes that is true. They are reinterpreted and rejected---- but I disagree on the idea that this is to conform, i.e., fit-in to the New Age concept. I think we just evolve. As for how to determine it, people still use their personal judgments. Each Christian sect have each their own different interpretations. Homosexuality is starting to become acceptable. That's good, that's evolution. It's all about whether someone accepts it or not and if the bible's words can be reinterpreted in a different manner to fit that judgment, then so be it. I can understand why they do this. The Bible is much too Ancient, much too Sacred to them, for them to simply bin it. Why bin such an important part of the world's history when you can simply read it from another angle?

I personally enjoy reinterpreting most of the words in the Scripture. It's a great way to honour it.

4. I might as well, as I was raised as one, and the Bible is really the only religious/spiritual book I know that much about. At the same time I am not, as I do not place Jesus above any other Master, but still hold him in high respect.

5. I prefer to stay in the neutral. I have a knack for seeing both sides of the story, or at the very least I make an effort to do so. That's usually how I handle all arguments.

6. Neale Donald Walsch... :))

Thanks Syb, this is exactly the kind of response I was looking forward to.

Perhaps you can take a stab at this Scripture. I think that people draw to their conclusions before interpreting on the basis of their presuppositions.

New Ageism says that rather than being the Second Person of the GodHead, "Christ," is the office man took. Now if you read the Scripture: Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Now this Scripture is an example of what must be reinterpreted to align in other beliefs. Is Jesus the way the truth and the life? That no one can come to the Father except through him? Or, does this need to be reinterpreted so that other religions can be considered right, as in all ways lead to the top of the mountain. But if this be the case, then, no way works just as well. Such as through atheism. Or one must admit Christianity to be wrong and not all ways lead to the Father, and Jesus is a liar.

I'm not going too deep by commenting on everything you shared, but I suspect by stating Evolution that you subscribe to the belief that the Creation process had not taken six days of work... but I am not saying anything on this as it would take a page or an external link to share the thoughts of theistic evolutionist. And going into the difference between a Christian sect and cult that uses extrabiblical texts as authoritative guides could go even further, especially in consideration of one using social norms or social laws rather than the law of God.

This is just to satisfy my curiousness, wondering what, and why people believe what they do in this forum.

Back to you Syb, and thanks for your input thus far!
Old 13-07-2012, 03:30 AM
Occultist

Revelation 22:19-20
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Seriously does Christians or any other belief system ever read what they believe in anymore?
I am not asking this as a troll I just am kinda amazed that you would conform the Christian KJV Bible to allow for New Age philosophy when your Bible states its not allowed and your name will be removed from the Book of Life.
I am a Witch and knew that.. I think this goes for all people in my opinion that is claiming a religion make sure you know what it is you are standing for the type of Deity you are worshiping and read the Manual that comes with it.
Old 13-07-2012, 03:42 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultist
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Seriously does Christians or any other belief system ever read what they believe in anymore?
I am not asking this as a troll I just am kinda amazed that you would conform the Christian KJV Bible to allow for New Age philosophy when your Bible states its not allowed and your name will be removed from the Book of Life.
I am a Witch and knew that.. I think this goes for all people in my opinion that is claiming a religion make sure you know what it is you are standing for the type of Deity you are worshiping and read the Manual that comes with it.

Do you really want to use that Scripture? Does Revelation 22:19-20 apply to the whole Bible or only the book of Revelation? I noticed you haven't shared any insight or personal interpretation? You are a witch? and you're asking Christians if they actually believe and or read their text? Hmmm

Question, do you believe your name is written in the book of life? Perhaps you can share some insight on salvation and let us know yours by providing the method in obtaining salvation?

Lastly, it's nice to know your opinion..... look forward to reading you responses but I won't be back for days.
Old 13-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Sybilline

Quote:
I just am kinda amazed that you would conform the Christian KJV Bible to allow for New Age philosophy when your Bible states its not allowed and your name will be removed from the Book of Life.

Maybe we should all stick to each our own books just like the Medieval ages, the Bible also states bad stuff about Witches (thou shall not suffer a---- I wish not to continue). It's probably not a good idea to conform to that, is it? It's good. It's all good. It's called Evolution.
Old 13-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Occultist

LOL witches don't have a Bible. Also I am curious why you would defend a book you pick parts and pieces out of to determine what's to believe and what's not.
Also yes the bible states Exodus 22:18
King James Version (KJV)
Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
Its okay that a book said that and its okay to repeat what a book said even if its mean.
That's how we learn not to make the same mistakes. Witches have a grimoire its more have a family tree with ingredients and spells and potions and notions and recipes and history and our own knowledge. I have never had a Witch tell me that they don't believe half of what there grimoire's says they dont believe. Also the personal interpretation of the Revelation 22:19-20
It is saying not to add anything to it or take away anything that's the Christian bible correct? Or if you add or take away your name will be removed from the book of life correct?
I personally believe to respect all religions and when you start adding and taken away certain things you don't agree with you start changing the belief system. Either you believe it or you do not. But either way if its in a book that is the cornerstone of your belief I would at least take it into consideration.

Also yes according to Christian teaching I will not be going to your heaven..

There is no need to get defensive I am just suprised that you wouldnt take that verse into consideration is all before rewriting a belief system thats been around for 1700 years give or take. I mean if its not working for you why not try something else and not try to sculpt a belief from something else if you do not agree with the entire thing?. These are honest questions and wonders people like myself looking in is wondering "I am wondering" So as a Christian wouldnt this be your shining moment to explain your personal thoughts on your religion. Also I am not offended when someone from a different faith or no faith asks me honest questions about my belief so you shouldnt either. These are honest questions and wonders. Why would you tell me not to ask or stick to what i know best?..
Old 13-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Sybilline

Quote:
I mean if its not working for you why not try something else and not try to sculpt a belief from something else if you do not agree with the entire thing?.

Because not everyone is an extremist. There is more to a belief than a name. It can change, and that can happen even if it has not been re-registered and given a new name under tax system. To the believers' heart, it is a brand new belief system, it's just that they don't know what else to call it but Christianity (some actually drop the name altogether--- that's ok too).

There are so many different kinds of Christian groups and technically the Catholics fall under that group because they too use the New Testatment and Christ as a basis for their teachings.

There are also many kinds of New Age groups... And Buddhist... and even Wiccans have different beliefs. Does that mean we should just drop it all if we can't believe it? Witches, some do have a book of sorts. There's one claiming to be the Witches bible (Aradia) and most Witches will not agree just like some Christians won't agree to most things in the bible.

Keep asking, it's what keeps the conversation running.
Old 13-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Rin

Christianity and the New Age movement are not compatible, at all, on a very fundamental level. Christianity is based on dualism while the New Age movement is based on monism.
I am neither a Christian nor a New Age follower. Most of the question you ask are therefore irrelevant for me.
Old 13-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
Christianity and the New Age movement are not compatible, at all, on a very fundamental level. Christianity is based on dualism while the New Age movement is based on monism.
I am neither a Christian nor a New Age follower. Most of the question you ask are therefore irrelevant for me.
As they are for me also.