Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 04-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Hard to imagine life without music.

Isn't that the truth, Lorelyen! Music makes the world go round!!

What kind of music do you make?
Old 06-01-2020, 03:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
So I made an experiment, I wanted to see what happens if I stop listening music at all, before this, I used to listen music every day, from all genres. I stopped listening music almost a week ago.

So what is the result of this experiment? My mind is a lot more peaceful and stable, before this, I would experience states of distress daily, but now, I am much better.

I write this here because I know that there are people like me, the so called "peace seekers" and maybe this can of great help.

Just give it a try, stop listening music, just don't listen any kind of music for a period of time and see if you gain more peace.
if you don't feel at peace, your simply listening to the wrong music.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
Music, especially power metal is pretty much the only comforting shoulder I have. So I don't think I'd find peace without it.
I like a lot of music with real emotion behind it. To me, metal music is a release of inner aggression. If I am in a bad mood, I turn up some metal, I let the music drive out the demons. That is far more positive then going home being mad at whatever in the outside world and letting those same demons out on loved ones. Some might say to meditate and so on. But to me that's putting a piece of tape on a volcano. Music to me is my mediation. So I meditate on what I need at that time. A Wise person once told me there's no wrong way to meditate. Do what works for you. For me , after a good "metal" session I feel extremely calm and subdued.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
I like a lot of music with real emotion behind it. To me, metal music is a release of inner aggression. If I am in a bad mood, I turn up some metal, I let the music drive out the demons. That is far more positive then going home being mad at whatever in the outside world and letting those same demons out on loved ones. Some might say to meditate and so on. But to me that's putting a piece of tape on a volcano. Music to me is my mediation. So I meditate on what I need at that time. A Wise person once told me there's no wrong way to meditate. Do what works for you. For me , after a good "metal" session I feel extremely calm and subdued.

Of course it depends which subgenre of metal you listen to. If it's trash metal bands like Slayer, sure it's a good way to release inner aggression. However, I have a hard time believing the same would work for you with power metal since it's known for more uplifting and epic tunes, and at times even a spiritual approach on lyrics. As for me, none of the bands I listen to honestly release any aggressive feeling within me at all whatsoever, but rather helped me improve my self-esteem for the time being.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 PM
Master
Quote:

Active, aggressive music has its purpose. I too find it a great means to let go. We are so much more than just 'silence'. I get what TheMan is saying, pff, I've done years of experiments, abstaining from various stuff, but in the end you realize much is actually a mind's game, we are creating conditioned experiences, but that too is a learning curve so no biggie.

As for ''letting the demons out on loved ones''.. this is why I view martial arts and video games in a positive light. Not everyone is going to ''control'' themselves if they just go and meditate. For some reason this is lost on many, but we don't all have the personality of a mannequin!!

Quote:
if you don't feel at peace, your simply listening to the wrong music.

Haha so true..

Or listen to natural sounds, or even the sounds from space! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTC7P1Dprw
Even the planets ''make'' *music*, it's inescapable...

Last edited by Altair : 06-01-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:41 AM
Master
It's often with music, and for any verbal conversation. People often hear only what they want to hear. Often the first thing a person does is judge, then listen....to what they already judged an made up there mind to what they want to believe. We've all done it. Here's a song that's the perfect example of what I am talking about with lyrics. If you choose to watch it after you see who sings the song. Turn off the sound, and just read the lyrics in entirely. https://youtu.be/TUuDWCL1JVY. Ok I just tried to watch only the lyrics. Waiting for the words to pop up is kind of boring. It's a little more entertaining with the music.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:19 PM
Knower

It's something to think that for millennia, terrestrials had somehow managed to survive prior to the inventions of radio and recorded audio. How *did* they do it?

There is definitely a time and a place for music, but it has become nearly omnipresent in the modern age, to the point of bit being considered by many as a natural part of the everyday soundscape. Turn it off and many caught up in this cultural trance confess to being unable to function, concentrate, work, relax, whatever. I think there's something profoundly disturbing about that, as if music were a drug that people can't do without for even a few hours or, god forbid, even an entire day.

It's in workplaces, shopping centers, restaurants, automobiles, kitchens, and so on. Our ancestors or even those who had lived only a few hundred years ago would probably go insane if they were somehow magically transported to our time and exposed to this ubiquitous cultural phenomenon. They would likely wonder as to the all-pervasive aspect of it (who or what sinister force is really behind it), and why it is the humans of today are so hooked on it.

Nature is pretty much silent. Aside from animal communication, forests, valleys, fields, the wilderness, and other places absent of human technology tend to be noise-free. If there is music, it is often if not entirely of a cheery and uplifting variety, a la the songbirds. I know of no ferocious beast who feels the need to release some pent-up aggression by way of infernal screaming or banging on heavy metal or other objects.

Within the industrial and technological lands of the planet there seems to be a phenomenal phobia of silence -- a spiritual state and quality like none other. I personally would not want to live in a world without music but I can go and have gone days, sometimes weeks, without it, and without experiencing any withdrawal symptoms, whatsoever. For the majority of people, however, a music-free environment would be beyond their ability to cope with. They would likely and quickly begin to feel agitated, depressed, perhaps even a little de-conditioned and personally empowered.

One hears of NDErs often returning and no longer being able to stand voluminous decibel levels and sonic discord. It's as if their having visited "heaven" and the presence of God had calmed their temperaments and purged them of any aggression they might have had. They're still energetic and emotional beings -- walking, jogging, running, working, dancing -- yet not in the negative or moody sense of the meaning.

There are those among the music-dependent who like to say that cacophonous and noise-polluting settings do nothing to upset their equilibrium, that they in fact (oxymoronically) claim to even experiencing a sense of tranquility from listening to noisy, angry audio. This may be true in a superficial sense and yet have more to do with an addiction and of their being desensitized, more than anything else.

This idea of needing to listen to aggressive anti-music in order to release aggression sounds to me like someone caught in an illogical loop, and one who may be failing to treat the root cause of a problem or what some might even call a spiritual sickness.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:47 AM
Knower

When I was in High School I felt lost if I didn't have music on all the time. Thankfully that's not the case now, although I feel like I wore out the pathways in my brain that corresponded to enjoying music due to years of over-listening. Now I barely enjoy it, unless I'm singing.

I agree that over-listening had an irritating effect on me, and I was only listening to classical music. I daren't think what sort of an effect the autotuned racket you hear on the radio is having on people's brains.

If I listen to music now, I try to be intentional about it and concentrate on it. The days of listening to it in the car and on headphones any chance I get are over. It shouldn't be a constant background noise, but rather something we pay attention to and consciously enjoy.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Found Goat
It's something to think that for millennia, terrestrials had somehow managed to survive prior to the inventions of radio and recorded audio. How *did* they do it?

There is definitely a time and a place for music, but it has become nearly omnipresent in the modern age, to the point of bit being considered by many as a natural part of the everyday soundscape. Turn it off and many caught up in this cultural trance confess to being unable to function, concentrate, work, relax, whatever. I think there's something profoundly disturbing about that, as if music were a drug that people can't do without for even a few hours or, god forbid, even an entire day.

It's in workplaces, shopping centers, restaurants, automobiles, kitchens, and so on. Our ancestors or even those who had lived only a few hundred years ago would probably go insane if they were somehow magically transported to our time and exposed to this ubiquitous cultural phenomenon. They would likely wonder as to the all-pervasive aspect of it (who or what sinister force is really behind it), and why it is the humans of today are so hooked on it.

Nature is pretty much silent. Aside from animal communication, forests, valleys, fields, the wilderness, and other places absent of human technology tend to be noise-free. If there is music, it is often if not entirely of a cheery and uplifting variety, a la the songbirds. I know of no ferocious beast who feels the need to release some pent-up aggression by way of infernal screaming or banging on heavy metal or other objects.

Within the industrial and technological lands of the planet there seems to be a phenomenal phobia of silence -- a spiritual state and quality like none other. I personally would not want to live in a world without music but I can go and have gone days, sometimes weeks, without it, and without experiencing any withdrawal symptoms, whatsoever. For the majority of people, however, a music-free environment would be beyond their ability to cope with. They would likely and quickly begin to feel agitated, depressed, perhaps even a little de-conditioned and personally empowered.

One hears of NDErs often returning and no longer being able to stand voluminous decibel levels and sonic discord. It's as if their having visited "heaven" and the presence of God had calmed their temperaments and purged them of any aggression they might have had. They're still energetic and emotional beings -- walking, jogging, running, working, dancing -- yet not in the negative or moody sense of the meaning.

There are those among the music-dependent who like to say that cacophonous and noise-polluting settings do nothing to upset their equilibrium, that they in fact (oxymoronically) claim to even experiencing a sense of tranquility from listening to noisy, angry audio. This may be true in a superficial sense and yet have more to do with an addiction and of their being desensitized, more than anything else.

This idea of needing to listen to aggressive anti-music in order to release aggression sounds to me like someone caught in an illogical loop, and one who may be failing to treat the root cause of a problem or what some might even call a spiritual sickness.
where I live nature is far from quiet. At this moment it's 2am most of the world including animals and people are sleeping. But it's far from silent outside. The winter wind is blowing. It's not overly windy at ground level. But you can hear the wind in the higher levels. The wind is so loud it rumbles like a train often you can hear the rumbling gust coming towards you. To the point where the ground rumbles. The wind rushing through the trees along with the chatter of the frozen dried leaves blowing in the wake of the rumbling gust. It's 2am and nature is playing her orchestra. At the moment I can only hear it because I am miles away from the lake.
You don't know of any beast who feels the need release aggression? When a animal hunts, protects it's area or looks for mate. Those are all releases of that aggression. Since we're not animals, and it not socially acceptable for use to do these things we find other outlets. Music works for me. It doesn't hurt anyone, it makes me feel better and some is very insightful. If it doesn't work for you, that's ok. I am sure you do what works for you.
My mother used to say the exact same things about music as you mentioned. I can say I was lucky to be the youngest of my siblings. She often let her anger out on them. Then she found "god" hahaha. After that she stopped talking to her kids. We didn't live up the her standards after that. But I am sure she lives in the presence of God. And that's my underlying issue.
Another thing loud barbaric music taught was to understand not everything is on the surface sometimes you really have to pay attention and listen to get to what is being said. It taught me to listen carefully first, to strip away the image to Learn the real intent and value, then lastly, to judge.

Last edited by hallow : 08-01-2020 at 09:36 AM.