Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 20-02-2019, 10:46 PM
ImthatIm

Martin High Bear

Here is a video Of one of my old teachers who is deceased. (48:00 min.)

I group called Wisdom of the elders are keeping his memory alive and they talk and then show a couple of his videos.

It brings back good memories and just thought I might share.

https://vimeo.com/85475084
Old 21-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Very interesting my grandmother used to tell me stories about life how it was for her growing up.
A friend that came from the Rose bud reservation used to tell me things as well she passed nearly three years ago.

Namaste
Old 21-02-2019, 05:27 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Very interesting my grandmother used to tell me stories about life how it was for her growing up.
A friend that came from the Rose bud reservation used to tell me things as well she passed nearly three years ago.

Namaste

Sorry to here of your lose.
Old 21-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Master
Great video, thank you ImthatIm for the link! Interesting too to get an idea of where you have been 'coming from’……….

Looks like the other videos are well worth watching as well.
In addition to educating about and preserving the culture, there is the reconciliation aspect to it as well and much more to their good work - plus recovering alcoholics and people who communicate with the rocks get my special attention

Now that I’ve got no. 7 in my brain – what do the 7 feathers on the wall tapestry (in that video) mean, do you know?

Old 22-02-2019, 05:24 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Great video, thank you ImthatIm for the link! Interesting too to get an idea of where you have been 'coming from’……….

Looks like the other videos are well worth watching as well.
In addition to educating about and preserving the culture, there is the reconciliation aspect to it as well and much more to their good work - plus recovering alcoholics and people who communicate with the rocks get my special attention

Now that I’ve got no. 7 in my brain – what do the 7 feathers on the wall tapestry (in that video) mean, do you know?

I will take a stab at it.(7 feathers)
It looks to be a commercial blanket so could be anything.
But I see the pipe so that puts it in the plains area.
The seven feathers reminds me of the seven council fires.
But again it looks commercial to me.
But here is another link that speaks of the 7 fires and 7 feathers and 7 rites.

http://www.sicc.sk.ca/archive/saskindian/a93aug03.htm

I also first thought about seven drums religion until I seen the pipe.
But there is also water and mountains represented and in the middle could be a modern take on a longhouse.It could be a commissioned blanket for the seven drums religion.
Just a couple guesses.
But the pipe takes me to the plains region. But the Columbia river basin tribes sure would be familiar with the pipe.
Anyway here is another couple links on the seven drums way.

https://nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/422

https://www.slideshare.net/LyraCoral...ashat-religion
^
^
The last link has pictures too.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Master
Good info ImthatIm, thanks – we are learning about 7 and you could be right there.
Quote:
In the early part of the 1700's, the Dakota were divided into a fabric of seven closely related tribes and joined in an alliance of "Seven Council Fires" for their mutual protection.
This is just my imagination here, but IF they were 7 tribes united, would you not think the 7 feathers would be of equal size? You know - 'egalitarianism' and all that?

To me it looks like the middle feather is bigger as if it is a kind of summary of the 3 on both sides of it.
(The 7 commandments talked about in the video???)

So – is the ‘Honoured Feathers of Wisdom’ on the ‘Good Red Road’ a New Age fabrication or is it a real cultural thing?

From a book "Honoured Feathers of Wisdom":
Quote:
Earning the ‘Honoured Feathers of Wisdom’.
These 7 Gifts are:

Wisdom: to cherish knowledge is to know wisdom.
Love: to know love is to know peace.
Respect: to honour all of the Creation is to have respect.
Courage/Bravery: Bravery is to face the foe with integrity.
Honesty: Honesty in facing a situation is to be brave.
Humility: Humility is to know yourself as a sacred part of the Creation.
Truth: Truth is to know all of these things.
Old 22-02-2019, 09:16 PM
ImthatIm

Sentient:
Quote:
IF they were 7 tribes united, would you not think the 7 feathers would be of equal size? You know - 'egalitarianism' and all that?

To me it looks like the middle feather is bigger as if it is a kind of summary of the 3 on both sides of it.

I would say the tapestry/blanket is maybe someones commissioned work.But using common known symbolism.
Your just not going to find a set standard on meaning and words that you find, especially on the internet, But you may get an overall picture.
When things of the spirit are involved and things being past down they are going to vary. One will say this color means this and the other will say this color mean that. This may have been taught or they received the instruction spiritually.There are many differences.

The center feather being bigger( to me ) is like I was referring to before.
Pray to the Creator Spirit first and He is in the center.
Then the 4 directions and up and down.Which equals 7.

Any of the sites I refereed you to I am not endorsing anything in any way. Except Martin High Bear and what comes from his own mouth. Or to point to possible answers or considerations to your questions.But I no way endorse any site or material.
The book you mentioned, it is a book written by some guy who wanted to write a book.Take it for it is worth.
But the 7 "Honored feathers of Wisdom" looks like a short version of the 7 Laws/commandments/virtues there are different versions I have seen and heard.

Last edited by ImthatIm : 23-02-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 23-02-2019, 06:47 AM
ImthatIm

Sentient:
This story is by Tim a man I personally know traveled and ran ceremonies with Martin.( I am not endorsing the Website)

https://www.sevencircles.org/martin-high-bear/

You asked about Martins 7 commandments well here is 7 his values.
This page I am 75% sure it is accurate. I would need more time to verify.
Again ( I am not endorsing the Website)

https://www.manataka.org/page494.html
Old 23-02-2019, 09:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Sentient:
This story is by Tim a man I personally know traveled and ran ceremonies with Martin.( I am not endorsing the Website)

I do not doubt the status of ‘your’ Elder ImthatIm.
Have had a pleasure and a privilege to know and meet a few.

You just know beyond any doubt when you meet one, no other credentials needed.

In those situations I don’t ask questions (teachings) unless there is a situation need to do so - instead - I just watch “the special effects” unfold (as they do according to each person’s need, openness and readiness).
So utterly simple, every-day ordinary, and yet ……

Old 23-02-2019, 11:38 PM
Master
From my experience - when you meet an Elder you can commune with on an (non-dual) unspoken level and synchronistic manifestations start to happen thick and fast, you know you are dealing with the real Elder.
‘One Spirit’ – spiritual insight transcends all racial/colour/cultural boundaries – the only limits that are there are the ones ‘you’ have created for yourself.

Like “Max” in your first video ImthatIm said:
Quote:
“They are all holding onto each other with their arms and their other arms are outstretched to the Centre Tree”.

Well, when you point at the Central Pole/Pillar/Tree or the (Central) Sun – one would think the symbolism is clear enough.
Or when you let the rock (formation) of the “Forest Church” act as a portal, a gateway to the spiritual/parallel reality layer and people alone and/or collectively *shift* into alignment – there are no misunderstandings there either.

I don’t do ceremonies. My very first Elder (from my culture) just showed the ‘Central Pillar/One Spirit attunement’ - how it works by being an example of it i.e. by living that ‘Central Pillar World View’.
This has served me well in Oz too.

So I don’t even get – why people have such a hang up about ceremonies - whether they should be for the Natives only or not, because there are no limits to the ways how a real Elder acting on ‘cues from One Spirit’ can lead you like the proverbial horse to the water. And once shown - then it is up to you whether you drink or not.

But I suppose/imagine that a Ceremony can be a very powerful introduction to The Sacred/Greater Reality or bring you back ‘into alignment’ or for ‘staying in alignment’.

But just because “One Spirit” transcends colour/racial/cultural boundaries - that doesn’t automatically mean that we are then entitled to other culture’s ‘cultural forms’.