Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 24-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
I hope all Christians reading this will now cease going to the doctor when ill, after all, if it's God's Will that you are experiencing disease or pain it wouldn't be seen as very Christianlike to not go through with what God has chosen for you.

That's the way to achieve happiness folks!

In the words of a famous prayer - "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Though in fact being able to heal ourselves (and others) is actually part of God's will, the best example being Jesus, but Saint Seraphim is a modern example.

In the absence of this extraordinary level of Christian healing power, go to the doctor and hope for the best.
Old 24-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Perhaps it is the Christian way of overcoming ego, I think that's how it feels to me, it is a formula that helps me to dismantle self-interest and dissatisfaction and impatience.

I do relate it to my sense of a spiritual body being formed in myself, and allowing God to be the engineer, practising again and again to get out of the way because He is the master craftsman when it comes to building spiritual bodies.

"Thy Will Be Done" is one of my own personal favorite mantras (if one can indeed call it a mantra). It facilitates the surrender of our little personal separatist ego to that which lies beyond and guides us unerringly in the best interests of all with no expectation of a return.

"Thy Will Be Done" is an awesome way to live and attunement to the Divine Will ALWAYS works (at least for me) while dependence on the little separatist ego often results in hit-or-miss decisions that are not always in the best interests of all.

Surrender to the Divine Will, as in "Thy Will Be Done", is an unerring guide.

I love this thread !
Old 24-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Master
Quote:
In the words of a famous prayer - "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Though in fact being able to heal ourselves (and others) is actually part of God's will, the best example being Jesus, but Saint Seraphim is a modern example.

In the absence of this extraordinary level of Christian healing power, go to the doctor and hope for the best.

The Serenity Prayer is one of my favorites as well. I just sent a card with the Serenity Prayer on it to a dear friend in Vienna, Austria. He's a 25-year-old fellow who has ATAXIA, a neurological degenerative disease for which there is currently no cure and which results in eventually being wheelchair-bound. He meditates and loves the serenity prayer; he has taken control of his life and the disease seems to be reversing itself through holistic practices, meditation, therapy, great support from family and friends, and help from the medical profession (doctors and others) as well. The combination has worked well for him.

He is giving a motivational speech in the next few weeks on his path to healing and an Austrian television station is planning to do a documentary on his upbeat attitude in dealing with this crippling disease.

Thanks for bringing up the Serenity Prayer in this thread. I love it and use it often.
Old 24-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Master

Quote:

I always enjoy reading these 'get outs', simple proof that many of the biblical laws, especially those we don't want to keep are a thorn in our sides. (To use a biblical phrase).
When someone such as the Pope, seen by millions as God's representative on this Earth (Whether it be so or not) points out that the Bible deplores various practices: homosexuality, adultery, abortion and so on, we (not me) immediately demand he should become 'modern' in his thinking.

At least it's proof that most of us can't live with dogma.
Old 24-11-2018, 01:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
I always enjoy reading these 'get outs', simple proof that many of the biblical laws, especially those we don't want to keep are a thorn in our sides. (To use a biblical phrase).
When someone such as the Pope, seen by millions as God's representative on this Earth (Whether it be so or not) points out that the Bible deplores various practices: homosexuality, adultery, abortion and so on, we (not me) immediately demand he should become 'modern' in his thinking.

At least it's proof that most of us can't live with dogma.

Jesus didn’t accept the stoning of a woman accused of adultery, he made a decision based on his internal moral compass and found a way to ‘get out’ of seeing the sentence passed. The sentence he effectively overturned was from the Old Testament, and he never endorsed condemnation of adultery.

Nor did Jesus ever deplore homosexuality, and it cannot be construed from anything he said, regardless of what the Old Testament had to say on the subject.

As far as abortion goes, there is no explicit prohibition in either the Old or New Testament, though there is an emphasis on the value of life. So Christianity based on the sayings of Jesus and modern sensibilities are not at odds in your examples.

Nor do I see any prohibition about going to doctors in the New Testament. I could equally say it is God’s will that life be highly valued, and all reasonable efforts should be taken to guard life.
Old 24-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Which throne?

What Kingdom doesn’t have a throne?
Old 24-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Master
Quote:
What Kingdom doesn’t have a throne?

Yes but ' Throne ' has various meanings

Toilet.
Chair.
Seat of state.
Royal seat.
Seat of the monarchy.
Old 24-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Ascender

Hello all.

What is understood as being "thy will" in relation to the quotation "thy will be done" ?

pete
Old 24-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareunity
Hello all.

What is understood as being "thy will" in relation to the quotation "thy will be done" ?

pete

If you read the Kaddish then you can see that it is referring to the coming of the Kingdom in the lifetime of the house of Israel, in the world he created according to his will.

' By His will, He created the worldÓ says the Kaddish. Many prayers of the Jewish liturgy also begin with the words ÒMay it be Your willÓ (
Yehi Ratzon),
followed by the expression of the specific wish that we obey Him and be given the opportunity to perform some of the precepts of the Torah. ÒObey His will, so that he may fulfill your will Ð the desire of your heart.Ó Mishnah Avot 2:4 The LordÕs prayer makes it quite explicit: ÒThy will be done on earth as it is in heavenÓ meaning that humans should strive to fulfill the will of God on earth - and not in heaven. As W. Grundmann states: ÒIn heaven, GodÕs will is done: on earth, may it be done.'
Old 24-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Ascender

Dear Sky 123,

Is it permissible to question this understanding, or indeed any other understanding?

pete