Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 23-11-2018, 12:32 AM
Master
Thy Will Be Done

Thy Will Be Done - St. John of Kronstadt
In his book My Life in Christ St. John of Kronstadt wrote:

It is never so difficult to say from the heart, "Thy Will be done, Father," as when we are in sore affliction or grievous sickness, and especially when we are subjected to the injustice of men, or the assaults and wiles of the enemy. It is also difficult to say from the heart "Thy Will be done" when we ourselves were the cause of some misfortune, for then we think that it is not Gods Will, but our own will, that has placed us in such a position, although nothing can happen without the Will of God. In general, it is difficult to sincerely believe that it is the Will of God that we should suffer, when the heart knows both by faith and experience that God is our blessedness; and therefore it is difficult to say in misfortune, "Thy Will be done." We think, "Is it possible that this is the Will of God? Why does God torment us? Why are others quiet and happy? What have we done? Will there be an end to our torments?" And so on. But when it is difficult for our corrupt nature to acknowledge the Will of God over us, that Will of God without which nothing happens, and to humbly submit to it, then is the very time for us to humbly submit to this Will, and to offer to the Lord our most precious sacrifice that is, heartfelt devotion to Him, not only in the time of ease and happiness, but also in suffering and misfortune; it is then that we must submit our vain erring wisdom to the perfect Wisdom of God, for our thoughts are as far from the thoughts of God "as the heavens are higher than the earth...”

"Thy will be done." For instance, when you wish and by every means endeavour to be well and healthy, and yet remain ill, then say : "Thy will be done." When you undertake something and your undertaking does not succeed, say: "Thy will be done." When you do good to others, and they repay you by evil, say: "Thy will be done." Or when you would like to sleep and are overtaken by sleeplessness, say: "Thy will be done." In general, do not become irritated when anything is not done in accordance with your will, but learn to submit in everything to the Will of the Heavenly Father. You would like not to experience any temptations, and yet the enemy daily harasses you by them; provokes and annoys you by every means. Do not become irritated and angered, but say: "Thy will be done." (pp. 136-7, 540)
Old 23-11-2018, 12:39 AM
Master
The song "Thy will be done" by Hillary Scott, lead singer of Lady Antebellum, written after she had a miscarriage.

https://youtu.be/Dp4WC_YZAuw
Old 23-11-2018, 06:07 AM
Master
And "If it be your will" by Leonard Cohen, sung by The Webb Sisters in concert with Cohen.

https://youtu.be/SDemnguRYj4
Old 23-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Thy Will Be Done - St. John of Kronstadt
In his book My Life in Christ St. John of Kronstadt wrote:

It is never so difficult to say from the heart, "Thy Will be done, Father," as when we are in sore affliction or grievous sickness, and especially when we are subjected to the injustice of men, or the assaults and wiles of the enemy. It is also difficult to say from the heart "Thy Will be done" when we ourselves were the cause of some misfortune, for then we think that it is not Gods Will, but our own will, that has placed us in such a position, although nothing can happen without the Will of God. In general, it is difficult to sincerely believe that it is the Will of God that we should suffer, when the heart knows both by faith and experience that God is our blessedness; and therefore it is difficult to say in misfortune, "Thy Will be done." We think, "Is it possible that this is the Will of God? Why does God torment us? Why are others quiet and happy? What have we done? Will there be an end to our torments?" And so on. But when it is difficult for our corrupt nature to acknowledge the Will of God over us, that Will of God without which nothing happens, and to humbly submit to it, then is the very time for us to humbly submit to this Will, and to offer to the Lord our most precious sacrifice that is, heartfelt devotion to Him, not only in the time of ease and happiness, but also in suffering and misfortune; it is then that we must submit our vain erring wisdom to the perfect Wisdom of God, for our thoughts are as far from the thoughts of God "as the heavens are higher than the earth...”

"Thy will be done." For instance, when you wish and by every means endeavour to be well and healthy, and yet remain ill, then say : "Thy will be done." When you undertake something and your undertaking does not succeed, say: "Thy will be done." When you do good to others, and they repay you by evil, say: "Thy will be done." Or when you would like to sleep and are overtaken by sleeplessness, say: "Thy will be done." In general, do not become irritated when anything is not done in accordance with your will, but learn to submit in everything to the Will of the Heavenly Father. You would like not to experience any temptations, and yet the enemy daily harasses you by them; provokes and annoys you by every means. Do not become irritated and angered, but say: "Thy will be done." (pp. 136-7, 540)

Can you imagine the hungry, tortured, battered and abused saying ' Thy will be done ' ?

What do these words mean to you personally?
Old 23-11-2018, 10:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Can you imagine the hungry, tortured, battered and abused saying ' Thy will be done ' ?

What do these words mean to you personally?

Perhaps it is the Christian way of overcoming ego, I think that's how it feels to me, it is a formula that helps me to dismantle self-interest and dissatisfaction and impatience.

I do relate it to my sense of a spiritual body being formed in myself, and allowing God to be the engineer, practising again and again to get out of the way because He is the master craftsman when it comes to building spiritual bodies.

Jesus set the example on his way to the crucifixion, where it is recorded "He went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

Earlier He gave instructions on how to pray, which were to say "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

But then again, I believe this sentiment is also expressed in Judaism, and that Jesus was expressing His Jewish faith in accepting the will of God. Overall I think it is a very central and fundamental attitude that Christianity has inherited, and it helps me to accept things as they are.

I can imagine the "hungry, tortured, battered and abused" trying to see their circumstances in this light if they are Christian, it was said by the early Christian martyrs quite a lot as they were being led to their deaths.
Old 24-11-2018, 02:23 AM
Master
In the Satan story he considered himself to be the equal of God, and this is what got him cast out of heaven. So taking this ‘myth’ and applying it to the personal level, if I establish the kingdom within, who will then sit on the throne, me or God?
Old 24-11-2018, 07:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Perhaps it is the Christian way of overcoming ego, I think that's how it feels to me, it is a formula that helps me to dismantle self-interest and dissatisfaction and impatience.

I do relate it to my sense of a spiritual body being formed in myself, and allowing God to be the engineer, practising again and again to get out of the way because He is the master craftsman when it comes to building spiritual bodies.

Jesus set the example on his way to the crucifixion, where it is recorded "He went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

Earlier He gave instructions on how to pray, which were to say "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

But then again, I believe this sentiment is also expressed in Judaism, and that Jesus was expressing His Jewish faith in accepting the will of God. Overall I think it is a very central and fundamental attitude that Christianity has inherited, and it helps me to accept things as they are.

I can imagine the "hungry, tortured, battered and abused" trying to see their circumstances in this light if they are Christian, it was said by the early Christian martyrs quite a lot as they were being led to their deaths.

' Thy will be done ' is definitely interpreted differently by the masses which is quite normal, finding what it means to you personally is better than following like sheep.

' Thy will be done ' to me is simple ' Cause and effect ' nothing more nothing less.

Of course Jesus was expressing his Jewish faith, the ' Lords Prayer ' is taken from the Kaddish and hijacked by Christians.
Old 24-11-2018, 07:44 AM
Master
Quote:
In the Satan story he considered himself to be the equal of God, and this is what got him cast out of heaven. So taking this ‘myth’ and applying it to the personal level, if I establish the kingdom within, who will then sit on the throne, me or God?

Which throne?
Old 24-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Master

I hope all Christians reading this will now cease going to the doctor when ill, after all, if it's God's Will that you are experiencing disease or pain it wouldn't be seen as very Christianlike to not go through with what God has chosen for you.

That's the way to achieve happiness folks!
Old 24-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
I hope all Christians reading this will now cease going to the doctor when ill, after all, if it's God's Will that you are experiencing disease or pain it wouldn't be seen as very Christianlike to not go through with what God has chosen for you.

That's the way to achieve happiness folks!

Excellent Busby.