Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 17-01-2019, 03:15 AM
Newbie ;)

Can guided meditation be dangerous?

Hello!

I'm brand new to meditation, and have only done it a few times on my own. I see all kinds of guided meditation videos on YouTube, but I've been hesitant to try them out because it feels like it could be dangerous! You know, letting yourself become in such a vulnerable state in control of a completely random person's instructions.

I heard years ago that hypnosis has these risks, and I'm dressing parallels to meditation. Has anyone ever had a bad experience? Is it dangerous? And are there reputable YouTube channels that I can start out with safely?
Old 17-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Master
Meditation is as dangerous as soaking in a beauteous sunset

Old 17-01-2019, 12:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst Lullaby
Hello!

I'm brand new to meditation, and have only done it a few times on my own. I see all kinds of guided meditation videos on YouTube, but I've been hesitant to try them out because it feels like it could be dangerous! You know, letting yourself become in such a vulnerable state in control of a completely random person's instructions.

I heard years ago that hypnosis has these risks, and I'm dressing parallels to meditation. Has anyone ever had a bad experience? Is it dangerous? And are there reputable YouTube channels that I can start out with safely?

I don't think there is any significant risk, but you tube is a place where any hack can post their nonsense, so if you really want to go the guided meditation route, the best approach is to find guided meditation provided by established, reputable, recognised people. Jon Kabat-Zinn might be a good place to start. He has a few audio-books on you tube which you might be interested in, which are very pleasant to listen to. I have listened to this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgweXc5G2xc - is good.
Old 17-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I don't think there is any significant risk, but you tube is a place where any hack can post their nonsense, so if you really want to go the guided meditation route, the best approach is to find guided meditation provided by established, reputable, recognised people. Jon Kabat-Zinn might be a good place to start. He has a few audio-books on you tube which you might be interested in, which are very pleasant to listen to. I have listened to this one - is good.

Thank you! I'll be sure to give it a listen throughout the next few days. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this thought, seems I just have to do more research!
Old 18-01-2019, 08:15 AM
Newbie ;)

they can be legit if you research them well. like a youtube channel i discovered recently, it's called Must Spark Joy. they have audio subliminals with anything that can possibly help you. u should check it out!
Old 18-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Master
I started listening to this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ap_-F9D5Gw). I think it is a good explanation.
Old 19-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst Lullaby
Hello!

I would say that guided meditation and hypnosis on youtube are not dangerous but if you do highly advance ones they can through you in the deep side so to speak. You won't drown but it will set you back and scare you.

Guided meditations are a great way to learn meditation in the beginning and that's how i started. I would look for a guided breath meditation or if you want to start without guided meditations i would say do a simple mantra meditation. You can use your own mantra like, love or peace.

BTW I have been doing guided hypnosis for years and no one has controlled me. You are always in control and conscious but just very relaxed. If you are relaxed your subconscious mind is more open to the suggestions but it takes time so you could listen to see they are not trying to control you.

All hypnosis is self hypnosis anyway.

Good luck
Old 20-01-2019, 12:20 AM
Guide

I don't personally much like guided meditation videos, but not for any reason of danger.

They simply go at a speed/pace that is always either too slow or too fast, or the meditation is at odds with where my soul wants to go. For example, they may say "find a seat by the campfire" and in my mind I'm already off wandering in the forest.

I've done guided meditation with a live hypnotherapist. It was a useful tool, but even then I had to be cautious. My mind subconsciously wanted to please my therapist and I did not want that at all! I wanted to let my mind supply the information, to help me get to the root of my issues.

Many hypnosis clients will find themselves tending to give the information/answer they believe the hypnotist EXPECTS.

Other than that... it's likely quite harmless. But if EVER a meditation makes you uncomfortable, TURN IT OFF! That power is always in your hands :)
Old 20-01-2019, 03:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneP
they can be legit if you research them well. like a youtube channel i discovered recently, it's called Must Spark Joy. they have audio subliminals with anything that can possibly help you. u should check it out!

I had a look at the channel, and going by the titles of the videos, my critique is the video titles appeal to people's desire and desperation, such as 'manifest your x-wife back' (getting your ex back is a dominant theme of Must Spark Joy), feeding emotional pain false promise, leading to a devastating crash from the heights of false hope. The content provider pretends to have aid or remedy for anything from from oncology to speech therapy, relationship repair, all of psychology and an incredible list of near enough anything in between, which is either delusional or dishonest and not altogether harmless.

I find it difficult to understand how researching the channel well is possible. I cannot find the name of a person on their website, which is strangely elusive as opposed to being transparent, and it may be possible that they don't present themselves so you can't find them once they have fleeced you for a 300$ "Get your ex back course" or other so-called 'service'.

Th simple question, "who is behind love spark joy?" is very difficult to answer, and that, in itself, is suspect.

The poster above says research your sources thoroughly, but I can't find out who runs LSJ, where they are located or anything else. Their 'Contact Us' page has a lot of 'get your ex back' stuff on it, but no contact information whatsoever! !

Run for the hills!

(P.S. 'Must Spark Joy' has nothing to do with Marie Kondo, author of the book "Spark Joy").
Old 20-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Knower

Speaking as one trained in hypnosis, I can tell you that even hypnosis in person cannot subvert your free will. Manipulating someone to act against their character requires a longer and more sinister method of persuasion.

I do agree with Gem though. It would be best to find neutral or personal growth meditations to help the nurturing process that meditation is. Focusing on specific goals without tangential work on the Self can lead to emotional troubles.