Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 02-01-2019, 04:23 AM
Master
Meditation for all walks of life

Before saying anything, take some seconds to ensure you are here and now by noticing what your breathing feels like. As attention falls on the breathing experience which is actually happening, the mind is less inclined to run with the imaginary things we might be preoccupied with, such as what has happened already, what might happen in the future, and other imagined notions. Be aware of this breath as it already is - as it is experienced by you, so you know what it is like.

Take some seconds.

It isn't special in any way. It is the same breath that was already there, only now you know what it feels like. It is always tempting to want to make it special and 'spiritual' by imagining prana, adding a chant, counting, or some other superfluous addition; but there is nothing other than what breathing actually feels like to you. Touch reality as you actually experience it. Know it is true: 'it feels like this'. Not imagining anything - not doing anything - but consciously aware of your experience as it already happens to be.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Master
Or we may say,

Doer to observer (doer gone)
Observer to feeler (observer gone)
Feeler to be-er (self gone)
Be-er to seer (non-self merged in Oneness)

Old 04-01-2019, 04:56 AM
Master
In meditation, it is a good idea to identify anything which isn't necessary and abandon it. For example, people are often told by meditation teachers to count their breaths, but you don't need to count breaths to feel what your breathing is like.

Let the breath be the way it is. If the breath is shallow, that's fine. Don't try to breath deeply, belly breathe, count breaths or anything else. Be aware of it as it is, know what it feels like, and just trust.

As you are aware of what your breathing feels like, attention moves from the imaginings of the head to real lived experience of the body, and in the lived-reality of this moment there is no doubt: 'this is the truth of my experience as it is right now'.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:25 AM
Newbie ;)

Respect this very much. I began doing this a few years ago hah. 10 years in obsession of learning more and visualizing energy until i dropped my fear that what i have already known wont leave.

Best meditation! Thanks for the simplicity!
Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 AM
Master
It is a good idea to meditate with straight posture such as sitting cross legged on a floor cushion or perched on a chair, without being rigid, and comfortable enough that you can sit like that for a while. It is best to use a whole lot of cushions, pillows and rolled up blankets to prop up the knees and otherwise be as comfortable as can be, and for the first few sitting-up sessions, adjust all those cushions and blankets to find a comfortable set up for yourself.

Once settled and cozy, pay attention to what your breathing feels like. Don't add anything like special kinds of breathing, imagining prana, counting breaths or otherwise verbalising or what-have-you. Simply be aware of what your breathing already feels like. Be interested in it and be curious about discovering how it actually feels, giving it all of your attention and feeling it as closely as you can.

Be patient with the mind as it tends to wander away, and when you notice that you are day dreaming, accept it because it is true - it is simply true. You merely know your mind wandered away, and resume feeling what breathing feels like.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It is a good idea to meditate with straight posture such as sitting cross legged on a floor cushion or perched on a chair, without being rigid, and comfortable enough that you can sit like that for a while. It is best to use a whole lot of cushions, pillows and rolled up blankets to prop up the knees and otherwise be as comfortable as can be, and for the first few sitting-up sessions, adjust all those cushions and blankets to find a comfortable set up for yourself.

Once settled and cozy, pay attention to what your breathing feels like. Don't add anything like special kinds of breathing, imagining prana, counting breaths or otherwise verbalising or what-have-you. Simply be aware of what your breathing already feels like. Be interested in it and be curious about discovering how it actually feels, giving it all of your attention and feeling it as closely as you can.

Be patient with the mind as it tends to wander away, and when you notice that you are day dreaming, accept it because it is true - it is simply true. You merely know your mind wandered away, and resume feeling what breathing feels like.

Simply powerful! Thank you!
Old 12-01-2019, 08:48 AM
Master
Thank you

So far I encouraged simplifying the practice by eliminating all unnecessary additions, and suggested some handy tips for comfortable sitting.

To sum up, sit comfortably and be aware of what your breathing actually feels like just as it is.

There is no point continuing into the subtler aspects of all this if you have no experiential reference of understanding from practice. However, I hope you do undertake this approach to meditation and I will leave you with some generalities.

Firstly, this is not aimed at keeping the attention on the breath, but rather, it is aimed at resuming feeling your breath each time you notice you have drifted away. Hence, there is no reason to become disheartened if your attention span is short or if your thoughts are overactive because the only intention is to calmly and persistently resume the breath awareness each time you realise you've wandered off. The mind drifting away will not impede the 'depth' or 'stillness' of the meditation, but becoming disheartened, frustrated or otherwise agitated will. You can't do anything about the mind wandering off, so don't concern yourself if it does. You can only resume meditation when you notice it has, so that is only the aim here.

Secondly, 'resting the attention on the breath' is fine, and it is the essence of this practice, but the effort involved in this meditation is peculiar and needs explanation. It is natural to assume that you need to 'concentrate on the breath', but that is not the point in this case. In this meditation you try to feel the sensation of breathing as closely as you can by feeling the smallest and subtlest details of your breathing sensation. This means, rather that trying to concentrate by holding the attention for a long time, try to feel the subtlest aspects of the sensation that you possibly can. This requires your close attention and your mind will become concentrated as a result - so don't try to concentrate. Just try to feel the sensation of breathing in as much detail as possible and let concentration be consequential.

Lastly, the mind will wander off quite often, but it doesn't lose any sensitivity or quietude because of that. When you resume feeling the sensation of your breathing, the mind will be just as sensitive as it was before it it wandered away. Only if you become agitated with it will the mind become dull and insensitive, so I repeat, be completely unconcerned with mind's wanderings. Simply resume meditation calmly and quietly when you notice it wandered off, feeling for the subtlest aspect of that sensation as you can. This practice of feeling as subtly as you can makes the mind more sensitive and acutely perceptive, thus revealing subtler layers of your living reality. Knowing the truth of your reality from the most superficial mundane level to the deepest and subtlest levels is a central pillar of this approach to meditation.

I hope my explanation here makes some sense and please incorporate this approach into your daily life. I will be here to receive any experientially insightful comments and/or field any of your questions.

Much happiness.
Old 13-01-2019, 02:40 AM
Master
Gem, it is soo nice to have someone explain the “why,” of meditation. I know when I have chatted with others there was a intention or goal to ap or lucid dream and so many other things. It really can become too fanciful.

I like the “is” of meditation. No expectations

Again, thank you,
Old 22-01-2019, 01:16 AM
Master
Because it is all about the truth, the meditation is not concerned with any particular experience. The truth is, this is the experience as I experience it right now, and the meditation is to be aware of it.

The breathing is a great tool because everyone breathes and anyone can feel what their breathing sensation is actually like. This is why this meditation is 'for all walks of life'. The breath is also a unique function of the body because on one hand you can control it volitionally by breathing faster or slower, deeper or shallower, or hold your breath; and on the other hand, it happens naturally all by itself without any effort on your part.

This meditation is effortlessness. There are no actions on your part. You just know what your breathing feels like, and it is true, 'it feels like this to me'. You are presently directly connected with the truth as experienced by you.

We are in a very deep habit of volitional activity, so when we stop doing anything and simply observe, the mind has nothing to do. It is not used to being unnecessary and wants to keep control, so will do anything to keep you distracted by incessantly doing, chattering, controlling and reacting to keep you bound in its illusions.

Here we start to see how the breath observation can't be separated from the observation of the mind. However, this meditation is not to experience the wonderful state of mind which you desire, it is to reveal the mind just the way it is, as it is... the truth.