Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Dreams

Old 16-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Newbie ;)

Dreams about a childhood friend.

For years now, I've had recurring dreams about a friend I used to have back in middle school. I've tried to find him online but so far haven't been able to - which is worrying. Even back in middle school he was disturbed by the concept of a "void". An empty, jet black space. I don't remember if I knew at the time but he suffered from severe depression - we were both kind of outcasts and while he was kind and skilled in the trades (I've no doubt he would have ended up in some kind of construction and maintenence job) he always had this deep sense of loneliness.

Back to the dreams, he appears often. I often lucid dream, but I don't recall doing so while I was with him. He appeared again last night. We were walking down a street, and a terrible storm was coming down. It toppled stoplights, crushed cars, and absolutely destroyed anything in it's path. Yet, the storm didn't touch us. We just walked through the city, watching the chaos unfold around us.

I wish I knew why he appeared in my dreams so often. To this day, I can't find him on any social media, and I've long since lost any way to contact him. I've feared the worst for years, I knew he was troubled, and I guess that's what attracted me to him in the first place - I tend to gravitate towards people who I can care for. All I can do is meet him in my dreams, still the fat, awkward middle school boy with a silly sense of humor. I miss him and I hope that he's living a healthy life nowadays.
Old 19-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Knower

I can totally understand how you feel. I get recurring dreams about friends from childhood all the time, some of them mean more to me then others and I can relate to that yearning to contact them. While I don't actively try to get in contact or with some of them even have the desire to do so they appear in my dreams no matter how I feel about them.

There's a book called Dreams - Carl Gustav Jung; translated by R.F.C. Hull (2002) (It's not the Memories, Dreams and Reflections one) and he explains that the dream world is rich in symbology. Dream characters can often represent sides of ourselves, and objects, events represent something that's going on in your daily life. The trick is that only you will know what each element represents for you because it's coming from your subconscious.

So, for example, the street could represent how you're going about your life, the storm could represent a chaotic time going on around you in your environment but whatever's going on it won't affect you, you're in a stable situation. Another example if you tie in your character as a representative of yourself is that there could be a lot of chaos going on around you at the moment and that you're feeling outside of it and as a result lonely.

Those are just examples and as I say only you will know the meaning.

That Jung book is a great read if you want to understand dreams that have an emotional charge to them. The dream characters will keep recurring until you can figure out what they mean - sometimes I'd like to move on and not see them anymore so it's good to figure out what message they're bringing =]

All the best with your dream experiences!
Old 19-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Pathfinder

Hey Amethyst

Characters in dreams both known and unknown usually exist as a template of sorts used for us to project our own attitudes, behaviors feelings and emotions onto and then to allow that part of ourselves to play out. Males tend to reflect our own attitudes beliefs and behaviours its our action taking part of self whilst females will reflect our own female energy which is our feeling, intuituve receptive part of self.

Weather patterns will also convey our inner world ie they are symbolic to describe how we may be feeling at any one time, and I wonder if your dream is hinting at the fact that you seem to be experiencing varied emotions or feelings that have the power to be quite 'destructive'. We experience our feelings through the physical body and to get in touch with the felt sense of an emotion and by allowing it, is to give it true expression.
However many of us as a protective measure tend to disassociate from such uncomfortable feelings and remain detached by staying in a mental place such as in our mind (masculine energy) which can be devoid of feeling. We thus cut ourselves off from our bodies and ultimately from feeling.

The reason I mention this is because the dream ego ie you in the dream along with a particular set of masculine behaviours that you are with (and which really resides in YOU) ie your old school friend is showing you something about your own behaviour or attitude to your own emotional world, which is to remain detached from the destruction and the emotional flux that you experience in your self (consciousness)...

Just some ideas for you to ponder all the best

Whitelion

Last edited by WhiteLion : 20-01-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 21-01-2019, 11:39 PM
Newbie ;)

Thanks to you both for your insight! I definitely think the storm was myself projecting my surroundings. My dreams have become less lucid and more chaotic after being evicted from my apartment. I don't really know what I'm supposed to glean from my childhood friend being there, besides knowing I'm thinking and worrying about him.
Old 22-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Odds are it's not about him but rather him representing an aspect or feeling in you. You mention he was a lonely dude. Getting evicted can cause us to feel rejected so he likely represents those types of feelings or something similar but despite all the chaos this has created you are weathering the storm well.